Author Topic: pizza not browning  (Read 1177 times)

Offline ny_piza

pizza not browning
« on: January 15, 2008, 11:19:35 PM »

I made a few NY style pizza's the other night using caputo flour and my pies failed to brown even a bit. They came out of the oven stark white. Other than the colour, the crust was nicely crunchy. I have used gold medal before and never had this problem.

I used the NY pizza recipe from this site for one pie and a friend's recipe for the other. Before making the pies, I preheated the oven to 550 for 1 hour with a pizza stone in the oven. The oven was actually at about 565 when putting the first pie in. I have used gold medal in the past to make pizza and it browned very nicely but the caputo tastes better and has a better crunch.

any thoughts?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: pizza not browning
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 12:09:29 AM »
What you experienced is characteristic of the Caputo flour when used in a home oven environment. You might get more color using some sugar in the dough or you might try combining the Caputo flour with a higher protein flour. Using the broiler element or moving the pizza to the top oven rack position (with or without the broiler element on) may also help. The Caputo flour does best in a very high temperature oven, much higher than what a standard home oven produces. 

Peter

Offline 12gauge

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 12:32:01 AM »
a trick i use is too put the pizza in & then 60 seconds layer fire up the broiler.  with a gas stove the broiler puts out heat really fast once turned on.  it also helps brown the cheese & the dough better.  But this is only a temp fix until my 2stone finally shows up.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 01:51:37 PM »
One trick is to brush the exposed crust with a little whole milk. Here is a photo of a calzone I made with leftover Caputo 00 Pizzeria dough baked at 550F that was brushed with milk just before going in the oven.

Bill/SFNM

pizzapan