Author Topic: Pizza Shop "Secrets"  (Read 4388 times)

Darrellthecrabber

Pizza Shop "Secrets"
« on: August 22, 2003, 08:57:11 PM »
 ;D I started his thread as many readers have "Secrets" from when they worked in Pizza Shops. I knew people who owned a Pizza Shop about 12 years. I was a regular customer. Here are some of the "secrets" I learned from them..may shed some insight to some people.
They sold a "Chicago" style pizza.but it really did not have the real thick crust as the original Chicago. They bought steel pizza pans with the stright up sides. I dont know the dough recipe, they made it in a big Hobart. Then they would let it rise and cut off chunks and weight them. These would be patted into balls and then put on sheet pans in the walk in refer. for the next days pizzas. The next day they would as they put it "open" the pizzas
they would take the balls of dough and flatten them with a fist then run them once thru the sheeter. Then on the floured table using the heel of the hand go round the edge making the pizza bigger and bigger till it fit the pan. They would put the sauce and cheese on then set them in the walk in  where a little door was . When a customer ordered a pizza they would pull out the pizza in the pan size wanted and put the toppings on. Then into the Blodget oven about 450F and after a few minutes move the pans around in the oven as they knew the hotter spots. After 15 minutes or so out came the pan and the brought out the pizza and boxed and cut it.. I did grind up cheese for them sometimes to help out and they used
a blend of 1 part mild chedder to 4 parts mozzerella
because the chedder helped the cheese not to burn with pizzas that took a longer time to cook like the combination pizzas. The pans were wiped out and after use were blackened. I bought a pan tonight from Sur La Table "Chicago Metallic" commercial 14 inches with stright up 1 " sides for 15.95 that reminds me of the pans.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
Re:Pizza Shop "Secrets"
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 01:17:11 PM »
Where did you get the pan from? Good story...I can relate to it.

Darrellthecrabber

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2003, 06:22:20 PM »
From a gormet kitchen store called "Sur La Table". Pronuced as Sur la Tab .french name. They have all kinds of great things .like being in a candy store.This one is in a up scale mall at Tysons Corner II in N. Va. they may be a chain. Chicago Metallic makes a lot of different pans for baking.

Darrellthecrabber

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2003, 06:54:39 PM »
Sur La Table has a web page:

http://www.surlatable.com

Chicago Mettallic may also have one

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2003, 06:24:03 PM »
Thanks. Prices are high. I'll check out Chicago Metallic.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 07:54:09 AM »
I'm trying to find a deep dish pizza pan that has a false bottom... similar to the spring-form baking pans used for cakes.

When the pizza has finished baking, simply push up on the bottom and the whole pizza lifts out.

Anyone seen one of these?
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 03:02:42 PM »
No, but you might make money from that idea.

Offline buzz

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2003, 11:36:22 AM »
Steve--
Just use a springform pan--it'll work!

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Re: Pizza Shop "Secrets"
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 07:11:33 PM »
Here is site for the lowest cost, high qaulity pans that I know of that should work. I recommend only the 2 inch high pans for pizza making. The bottoms are removable, but they aren't springform. These are available on may sites, but this one sells them for less than others, if you can't find them "on sale".

These conduct heat evenly, with striaght sides.  I persoanlly have not used these at temperatures above 400F. They aren't coated and have a nice gauge (thickness) that I imagine that these should do fine at higher temps. but cant gauantee it since I haven't tried it. If anthing the higher temps may discolor the pans, without affecting its baking ability.

http://www.americancakesupply.com/pans2.htm

Chicago Metalic is very high quality, usually silicone coated pans, and PRICEY
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 07:15:28 PM by Lydia »
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline IlliniPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 12:50:33 PM »
Steve,

Alot of commercial bakeries swear by Magic Line Pans from Parrish,  they are superduty pans, and you can get them in virtually any size, up to 20" in some cases, with solid or removable bottoms.

Here is the site.

http://www.complementstothechef.com/subpages_bakeware/magicline.html

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 01:21:53 PM »
Very True! Illi

The site I posted exclusively sells MagicLine from Parrish. As a cake designer, it's one of the few brands I will use due to their stright sides, performance and durability.

And yes, nearly ANY size!  The smallest I own is a 2x2 inch, not used for pizza though :D

Be careful purchasing any size over a 16 inch if using a standard household oven. Even if the pans fit they usually burn severelly on the edges, being soo close to the sides of the oven.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 01:24:48 PM by Lydia »
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.