Author Topic: Cal City Style or Quad City Style  (Read 4231 times)

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontiŤres
Re: Cal City Style or Quad City Style
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 11:03:09 PM »
2nd that!!!!!  unreal!  you're a natural!!!  looks absolutely fabulous !!!  its no wonder your neighbors and family raved!!!!!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

Offline RockyMtn_Chi_Pie

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 01:54:25 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys.  I made six pies last night again for neighbors/friends.  This time I used 50% whole milk mozz and it made a HUGE difference in how the cheese melted.  Garvey's sauce recipe was great for this style of pizza as it had just enough spice to it.

Offline Nate

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2016, 09:45:02 PM »
Great job. Glad it's working out for you. I've taken a little break from pizza making but I'll have to give Garvey's sauce recipe a try and his thin crust was on my list to make. Did you change any other things that made it better and is the malt working out?

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2016, 10:30:22 AM »
Quad City pizza is getting some national love in the WaPo.  In case that article disappears, here is the included recipe, which is adapted from a QC-style purveyor in Chicago.  Given what we've seen from other restaurants, take this with a grain of salt, caveats galore (e.g., "Chicago deep dish has cornmeal!"), but this may be a good starting point for the style.

===

Adapted from a recipe by Roots Handmade Pizza in Chicago.

Tested size: 16 servings; makes two 12-inch pies

FOR THE CRUST

4 oz warm water
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
3 oz (6 T) malt syrup
20 oz bread flour
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp sweet paprika
6 ounces ice water

FOR THE TOPPINGS

1 tablespoon fennel seed
2 cups cooked, finely crumbled Italian sausage
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/4 cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
18 ounces (4 cups) shredded mozzarella cheese

DIRECTIONS

For the crust: Combine the warm water and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough-hook attachment; let the mixture sit for 10 minutes, then add the malt syrup, flour, salt, pepper, dried oregano, sweet paprika and ice water. Beat on low speed for about 2 minutes, then increase the speed to medium and mix for another few minutes to form a dough that is smooth and elastic.

Divide the dough in half; wrap each portion in plastic wrap, then refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours. Before shaping the pizza, bring the dough to room temperature, 2 to 3 hours.

Place a pizza/baking stone on the lowest oven rack; preheat to 450 degrees. If you donít have a baking stone, invert a large baking sheet on the lower rack.

Place each dough ball on top of its own 12-inch square of parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to stretch and roll each dough ball into a 12-inch round, folding the edges of the dough over about 1/2 inch and crimping with your thumb and forefinger, to form a lip.

For the toppings: Stir the fennel seed into the cooked and crumbled sausage. Stir the crushed red pepper flakes into the tomato sauce. Spread half of the tomato sauce across the surface of each dough round. Sprinkle the seasoned sausage evenly over the sauce, then top with the shredded mozzarella cheese, being sure to spread it evenly over the sausage.

Use a pizza peel to carefully transfer one pizza (with its parchment paper) to the pizza/baking stone; bake for up to 15 minutes, until the top is golden brown and bubbling.

Let the pizza sit for a few minutes before using kitchen shears to cut it crosswise into strips that are about 1 1/2 inches wide; then cut down the center (so the long strips are cut in half). Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2016, 10:35:57 AM »
FOR THE TOPPINGS

1 tablespoon fennel seed

I would recommend *against* cooking the sausage like this.  Instead, try this method:
How to make crumbled sausage

FOR THE CRUST

4 oz warm water
6 ounces ice water

Warm water...and yeast...and the flour...and then ice water...and on and on.  That sounds really freaking fussy.  I'd just do 10oz of lukewarm/cool water and be done with it.

then add the malt syrup, flour, salt, pepper, dried oregano, sweet paprika

BTW, can any Quad Cities pizza enthusiasts confirm that spices belong in the dough?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 10:49:46 AM by Garvey »

Offline Garvey

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2016, 10:46:07 AM »
Luckily, the local news in the Quad Cities was excited about the national coverage, so they likewise got in on the act with this recipe.

===

Quad Cities-Style crust:

16 oz flour
1/4 cup malt
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
8 oz water
1/4 teaspoon yeast

Directions using mixer: 

Mix all ingredients in bowl and mix on low setting for 18-20 minutes.
Turn up to next speed and run for 2 minutes.
Roll into ball to get air out.
Refrigerate for a minimum 24 hours but ideal sit time is 72 hours.
Bake at 450 degrees 15-20 minutes (time may vary depending on toppings)

Pizza sauce:

1 cup pizza sauce
1/2 cup paste
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Offline Nate

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2016, 11:50:01 PM »
Cool. Thanks for posting. Taking some from tips both should help to fine tune. Seems we are on the right track, though I agree with you to take the recipes with a grain of salt because  20% hydration seems really low. Yes the dough does have spices but I had no idea what so this will be a big help.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2016, 11:54:10 PM »
20% hydration seems really low.

I thought the same thing, but it's actually 50% when you add in the ice water.

Offline Nate

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2016, 12:03:06 AM »
Yes, just caught that as well reading it again.

Offline CyzzleB

• Even bad pizza is not too bad :)
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 11:54:33 PM »
http://kwqc.com/2016/02/26/quad-cities-style-pizza-gets-national-exposure/

Some clues...

Sorry, I see this is duplicate info now. So glad to see we are all on the lookout!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:56:06 PM by CyzzleB »

Offline RockyMtn_Chi_Pie

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2016, 06:44:17 PM »
Man, sorry I've been away from the forum for awhile.  I have, however, been continuing to make this recipe over and over.  Honestly, I haven't changed anything about it since we have liked it so much.  I continue to use the recipe that Nate posted originally but omitting the molasses and adding 1T of dry amber malt extract from Briess malting company.  I really like the flavor and the workability of this dough.  I'm going to make it tonight again with a few modifications.  I'm going to try the ice water, using a bulk ferment, and also using a high gluten flour that I obtained in a 50# bag locally from a baker.  It's labeled as Assoluti High gluten flour distributed by Roma foods.  No protein content listed and I can't find anything on the website, but I'll give it a go.  It was certainly cheap enough at 17 bucks for the bag.  Garvey, your sausage recipe and sauce recipe continues to go on these pies.  I cook the sausage partially and then pulse it in the food processor to get the crumbles that I remember back home.  I did start using half whole milk mozz and half part skim because the part skim was browning too much without melting.  I'll try to keep this updated with any changes.

Offline RockyMtn_Chi_Pie

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2016, 06:50:44 PM »
Also, I remember there being oregano on top of these pizzas, fennel in the sausage, and maybe red pepper flake in the sausage.  I don't ever remember having any QC pizza (and I've had a lot) that had actual spices in the dough.

Offline Nate

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 03:06:25 PM »
Cool. I'll be curious to know how the high gluten compares to the bread flour. By the way, my buddy who worked at Harris said they do in fact use spice in the dough. He has no idea what because the owners brought it in everyday pre-mixed from home. I believe you're correct on the oregano, fennel and red pepper flake as I included those in the recipe.

Offline notoriousFOZ

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2016, 05:23:44 PM »
Quad City pizza is getting some national love in the WaPo.  In case that article disappears, here is the included recipe, which is adapted from a QC-style purveyor in Chicago.  Given what we've seen from other restaurants, take this with a grain of salt, caveats galore (e.g., "Chicago deep dish has cornmeal!"), but this may be a good starting point for the style.

===

Adapted from a recipe by Roots Handmade Pizza in Chicago.

Tested size: 16 servings; makes two 12-inch pies

FOR THE CRUST

4 oz warm water
3 oz (6 T) malt syrup
20 oz bread flour
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp sweet paprika
6 ounces ice water

FOR THE TOPPINGS

1 tablespoon fennel seed
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/4 cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
18 ounces (4 cups) shredded mozzarella cheese

DIRECTIONS

For the crust: Combine the warm water and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough-hook attachment; let the mixture sit for 10 minutes, then add the malt syrup, flour, salt, pepper, dried oregano, sweet paprika and ice water. Beat on low speed for about 2 minutes, then increase the speed to medium and mix for another few minutes to form a dough that is smooth and elastic.

Divide the dough in half; wrap each portion in plastic wrap, then refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours. Before shaping the pizza, bring the dough to room temperature, 2 to 3 hours.

Place a pizza/baking stone on the lowest oven rack; preheat to 450 degrees. If you donít have a baking stone, invert a large baking sheet on the lower rack.

Place each dough ball on top of its own 12-inch square of parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to stretch and roll each dough ball into a 12-inch round, folding the edges of the dough over about 1/2 inch and crimping with your thumb and forefinger, to form a lip.

For the toppings: Stir the fennel seed into the cooked and crumbled sausage. Stir the crushed red pepper flakes into the tomato sauce. Spread half of the tomato sauce across the surface of each dough round. Sprinkle the seasoned sausage evenly over the sauce, then top with the shredded mozzarella cheese, being sure to spread it evenly over the sausage.

Use a pizza peel to carefully transfer one pizza (with its parchment paper) to the pizza/baking stone; bake for up to 15 minutes, until the top is golden brown and bubbling.

Let the pizza sit for a few minutes before using kitchen shears to cut it crosswise into strips that are about 1 1/2 inches wide; then cut down the center (so the long strips are cut in half). Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.

Thanks Garvey!

I have a batch of this dough resting in the fridge and will be testing it out tomorrow.  I inadvertently added only 4 Tbsp of malt and halved the spices(picky kids are my testers).  The dough came together nicely and had a spicy smell which has become somewhat savory/sweet overnight.

I worked in the QC area about 14 years ago and quickly became addicted to Wise Guys pizza which was near my hotel.  Loved their buffet and went 3-4 times a week if it wasn't packed.  I seem to remember they had some sort of salty/garlicky dusting on the bottom of the crust.

Offline notoriousFOZ

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2016, 12:50:22 PM »
Did not care for that formulation, the malt was overly strong and the spices didnt help.  Made a Garvey's Thin(phenomenal!) prior to this and oven was a tad hot so crust was on the crispy side.  Also rolled it a bit too thin.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 01:04:07 PM by notoriousFOZ »

wordpress