Author Topic: This is lamination right?  (Read 1067 times)

Offline CDNpielover

Re: This is lamination right?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 04:40:51 PM »
that line on the end of the crust really doesn't look like lamination, it looks to me like it was cooked in a pan.  that line doesn't at all match up with the flakes you show in the side shot.  Also, even though it's flaky doesn't necessarily mean it's been laminated.  (look at HRI).  Why don't you just ask the folks at the shop rather than asking people to try and judge from a photo?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 04:46:26 PM »
Maybe that line is from a dough press....or maybe they are using "pre made" skins from a mass producer.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 05:56:52 PM »
How was their sauce Nate...taste good?

Bob

Their sauce needs some work but their cheese and sausage is killer.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 06:44:43 PM »
Their sauce needs some work but their cheese and sausage is killer.
That's a bummer. Back when I lived up there it was usually the sauce that made these lil places stand out from one another. Everyone had basically the same ovens, cheese and sausage. Da sauce was Boss.  :chef:

Bob

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 12:05:47 AM »
Da sauce was Boss. 

Word.  The Pizza Factory recipe was all about the sauce.  We got the dough down pat quickly and the rest of the procedure, too, but the sauce took all kinds of experimentation.

(Again, to beat a dead horse...more sauce recipes here would be great...)

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 03:44:10 AM »
(Again, to beat a dead horse...more sauce recipes here would be great...)

^^^  But the bottom line, as the dead horse has shown us, most use just good quality tomatoes and basil and nothing else on NY and NP pies, which is great, no argument. But like you I like to zip things up sometimes and yours is one of my go to recipes since I started making your spice in bulk doctored a bit to taste. Use it often and on many other things too!!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 11:15:23 AM »
?

No. That's just a sign that the dough was trimmed.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 11:18:59 AM »
Here is a pic of the inside crust.

From that pic, I'd say the crust MIGHT be laminated.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 11:23:17 AM »
I think this pic shows obvious laminated pizza crust. It is not as pronounced as one would see from a pizzeria that is known for having laminated crust pizza....such as "Tommy's" ?

This is the direction I'm leaning, too. I liked what Bob had to say even before I read the "Tommy's" part. I'm still not sure about "obvious," though. (I didn't see this thread until like 5 minutes ago, so I need some time to digest what I'm seeing. Y'know, meditate on it or something.)

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 02:33:19 PM »
^^^  But the bottom line, as the dead horse has shown us, most use just good quality tomatoes and basil and nothing else on NY and NP pies, which is great, no argument. But like you I like to zip things up sometimes and yours is one of my go to recipes since I started making your spice in bulk doctored a bit to taste. Use it often and on many other things too!!!

jon

A lot of times people list what they put in their sauces but with no amounts. This is really annoying when you're trying to re-create someone else's pizza.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2014, 02:45:55 PM »
A lot of times people list what they put in their sauces but with no amounts. This is really annoying when you're trying to re-create someone else's pizza.
Yes. this is another aspect of how lacking the forum is on sauce recipes. I know, I know...I'm just as guilty as the next. I think the situation stems from the fact that most of us are/have never even measured our ingredients that go into the sauce....we know what we like, have done it so many times, it's just very easy to eye ball the amounts in the palm of your hand and dump.

Next time I make a puree sauce for my Chi- thins I will measure what goes in and maybe even start a thread for others to add their sauce if they'd like....or maybe there is already a thread....a very lonely thread somewhere?  ;D

Bob

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2014, 03:18:49 PM »
Yes. this is another aspect of how lacking the forum is on sauce recipes. I know, I know...I'm just as guilty as the next. I think the situation stems from the fact that most of us are/have never even measured our ingredients that go into the sauce....we know what we like, have done it so many times, it's just very easy to eye ball the amounts in the palm of your hand and dump.

Next time I make a puree sauce for my Chi- thins I will measure what goes in and maybe even start a thread for others to add their sauce if they'd like....or maybe there is already a thread....a very lonely thread somewhere?  ;D

Bob

Bob,

I've never been able to make a killer sauce.   Feel free to share if you have a few.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2014, 07:29:40 AM »
Bob,

I've never been able to make a killer sauce.   Feel free to share if you have a few.

Read thru Garvey's thread and the spice blend/sauce he uses if you haven't already, EXCELLENT!! I also converted it to a bulk recipe to make it readily on hand as mentioned above. He uses tomato paste thinned with water, I like to thin it with tomato juice (Sacramento being my favorite) also great with strained canned tomatoes and such too. Tailor the mix to your tastes! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17662.0.html

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17662.msg284695.html#msg284695

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2014, 10:56:37 AM »
Thanks for the pics, I am going to try this place out that looks like my kind of pizza!  Not too far from me.

The line you see in the first pic is caused by the cutting wheel and angle used when cutting.  Typically, a sized template (12", 14", 16" etc) is placed on the skin and a handheld cutting wheel used to cut the skin around the template.  If the wheel is tilted outward ( bottom of the wheel ) while cutting, the dough is slightly stretched.  After the cut the template is lifted and the dough snaps back slightly, this creates the line you see.  I do this all the time.

In regards the the laminate, so many places don't do it, so odds are it's not laminated....

If the crust was crispy all the way through then I do believe it's laminated.  If the crust was chewy it is not laminated and those pockets seen in the pic are just air bubbles.  They do not look continuous like a laminate is.