Author Topic: Deep Dish success!  (Read 438 times)

Offline filteredsoul

• I Love Pizza!
Deep Dish success!
« on: March 31, 2016, 11:51:03 AM »
Just wanted to share a quick note with you all...
I'm originally from the Chicago 'burbs and moved down south to the mountains of Western NC back in '07.
With no place to get Chicago Style Deep Dish I started playing around with various recipes online EVENTUALLY to find this site.
You all have helped me achieve what I've missed so much from the homeland! I have read and tried many different techniques/recipes and feel like I have reached my plateau of deep dish love.

So, last night... I got together with some guys and made 2 deep dish pepperonis. One of the guys said "Hey, I flew home this morning, but last night I was in Chicago (Schaumburg) and I went to some pizza place in an old house... Lou Mal-something. Ever heard of it? I had my first deep dish pizza. It was incredible!"
So I was like... "Well, what do you think of what you're eating now? It's about as close as I can remember deep dish being."
He said he thought mine was better than Lou's! And then went on to eat 3 pieces. (of a 14" pie!!)   ;D

Not the Holy Grail of compliments being that the guy only had his first deep dish the night before... but to hear that mine was better than one of the "Chicago Standards" really made my night.

Couldn't have done it without you all.

Thanks again!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Deep Dish success!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 02:11:41 PM »
Dan,

It's always nice to get that kind of feedback. But it looks like you paid your dues in terms of time and effort to earn the positive feedback you got. Making pizza at home to emulate well known pizzas is not an easy thing to do. In many cases, it is not so much the ingredients, although that sometimes is the case, but rather the oven. So, it can take a fair amount of experimentation to achieve the desired results.

Peter

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 10:28:43 PM »
Awesome.  Which recipe did you end up going with?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline filteredsoul

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 09:28:33 AM »
I knew someone was going to ask that... It's kind of a mix.
The simple version is:

-Dough-
3 cups Organic King Arthur AP flour (organic by wife's request... can't tell any difference tho)
1 cup hot tap water
1/4 cup corn oil
1/3 tsp sugar
1/3 tsp salt
1/3 tsp ADY (the stuff in the little yellow and red packet)

Let dough rise in a plastic-wrapped bowl all day. (I put it in the oven with the light on for a little heat)

-Sauce-
28oz can of San Marzano crushed tomatoes
1/2 14oz can of Cento chunky crushed tomatoes
1 tbs basil
1 tbs oregano
2 tbs parmesan/romano cheese
little salt
little pepper

-Assembly-
lightly grease 14" pan with butter-flavored crisco
press the dough in, working up the sides
1 lb of Boars Head WM Moz sliced, placed on top of dough (even bending up the sides)
1 package of whatever sliced Provalone cheese on top of moz
pour in sauce mixture
4 oz Boars Head Pepperoni on top of sauce
sprinkle a little parm/romano on top

-Oven-
Put stone in oven
Preheat to 500
wait about 1/2 hour or so
put assembled pizza on stone
turn oven down to 450
set timer to 30 minutes
enjoy the smell in the kitchen
pull pizza out when pepperoni starts to cup and cheese around edge turns a little golden
let sit for 5 minutes
enjoy

That's about it. My tomato selection isn't set in stone... usually depends on what the store has.
I could be a real chef and use baker's percentages/weight... and I have done that, but I honestly can't tell the difference when I use weight vs. cups/tsp's, etc.
The addition of the butter flavored crisco put my crust where I wanted it as far as buttery crispness on the outside.
That's about it.

wordpress