Author Topic: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation  (Read 77654 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation
« Reply #400 on: March 15, 2013, 01:03:48 PM »
Norma,

The photo of the baked HRI frozen pepperoni pizza that I was trying to post earlier is shown in the blog article at http://daisyreviews.blogspot.com/2012/08/my-review-on-home-run-inn-pizza.html . You can see what a baked HRI frozen pepperoni and sausage pizza looks like at http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mWo_dfVi8FE/T1EPOnay-4I/AAAAAAAAEW0/eUN1B5M02YQ/s1600/Feb%2B2012%2B169.jpg . For an example of what the rim of an in-store pizza looks like, with the fluted character, see the photo at  http://www.hrichicagosbestpizza.com/website/images/spotlight/pizzerias-05.jpg .

I was also looking for a photo of the bottom of an HRI pizza and found one in the Slice article at http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2011/08/chicago-essential-home-run-inn.html.

Peter

Peter,

I can see the photos on your first three links, but not for the Slice article (the Slice article says not found).  Thanks for posting the links to the photos.

I wanted to let you and anyone else know I did send some emails this morning using the contact feature at http://www.homeruninnpizza.com/contact-us/contact-frozen-pizza-operations and mentioned I would like to know the protein content of the flour they use for the frozen pizzas, giving the same excuses I did before on the Two Bills thread.  I also said since I canít purchase any frozen HRI pizzas in Pa. before I travel to Maryland to purchase some frozen HRI pizzas I would like that information if they could give it to me.  I will wait and see what happens with that.  I also said I used the feature on the HRI website to find the nearest places I could find HRI frozen pizzas.

I also mixed up another dough just a little while ago and use the same methods in mixing, but use warmer water and also placed poppy seeds on the dough ball.  The dough ball is now in the fridge.  I have to pick up flour, go to the vets to pick up diet food for my dog and then to market, but hopefully when I get home the dough will have fermented some.  If the dough ball doesnít ferment enough I either will let it sit at room temperature, or put it into the oven with the light on.  I didnít want to take the chance of the dough ball overfermenting at room temperature, because I donít know how long I will be away.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #401 on: March 15, 2013, 01:36:18 PM »
Norma,

The link that did not work is http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2011/08/chicago-essential-home-run-inn.html . I have found recently that if I don't put a space between the URL and a period, or other punctuation, the link doesn't work. That used to happen before but it seems to be happening more since the forum software was changed.

I will be very surprised if you get an answer from HRI. You might not even get a response at all. I once sent an email to HRI asking what the Nutrition Facts applied to (e.g., unbaked pizzas, fully baked pizzas or partially baked pizzas) and never did get a response.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #402 on: March 15, 2013, 02:08:57 PM »
Norma,
Interestingly enough, earlier this week I discovered that all the grocery stores in my immediate area have stopped selling HRI frozen pizza...very strange. I have scored some though and they are sitting in my hot little freezer.  ;D
You should receive yours by Wednesday.  ;)

Bob

ps. I'm not making the same mistake as last time when I attempted to ship something on a Friday and it sat in a warehouse all weekend. On the USPS shipping site I plugged our zip codes into their estimator and they say a package sent no later than 5pm on a Monday arrives to you on Wednesday. I thought that is pretty good.
My dry ice place is right near the post office so I will go there near the deadline time to ship.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:19:06 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #403 on: March 15, 2013, 05:35:14 PM »
Norma,

The link that did not work is http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2011/08/chicago-essential-home-run-inn.html . I have found recently that if I don't put a space between the URL and a period, or other punctuation, the link doesn't work. That used to happen before but it seems to be happening more since the forum software was changed.

I will be very surprised if you get an answer from HRI. You might not even get a response at all. I once sent an email to HRI asking what the Nutrition Facts applied to (e.g., unbaked pizzas, fully baked pizzas or partially baked pizzas) and never did get a response.

Peter

Peter,

Thank you for posting the link that does work now.  The bottom crust is fairly light to my eyes.  I know I used to have the same problems when trying to post a link sometimes and then I had to try different stuff to get the links to work. 

It would be interesting if I did get an answer from HRI, but I am not holding my breath on that one either.  I wonder why they even put those emails addresses on their website if they donít want to answer at all.  I did get an auto reply that Angela was out of the office today. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #404 on: March 15, 2013, 05:43:27 PM »
Norma,
Interestingly enough, earlier this week I discovered that all the grocery stores in my immediate area have stopped selling HRI frozen pizza...very strange. I have scored some though and they are sitting in my hot little freezer.  ;D
You should receive yours by Wednesday.  ;)

Bob

ps. I'm not making the same mistake as last time when I attempted to ship something on a Friday and it sat in a warehouse all weekend. On the USPS shipping site I plugged our zip codes into their estimator and they say a package sent no later than 5pm on a Monday arrives to you on Wednesday. I thought that is pretty good.
My dry ice place is right near the post office so I will go there near the deadline time to ship.

Bob,

That is strange and interesting that you discovered that all of the grocery stores in your immediate area have stopped selling HRI frozen pizzas.  Glad to hear you could get some.   ;D

I sure appreciate it that you are willing to send me an HRI frozen pizza, but my daughter also just told me when she returned home from work today that she will take me to Maryland tomorrow to purchase some HRI frozen pizzas. If you want to save yourself the bother and expense of sending me a HRI frozen pizza that is fine with me.  I will also check and called the supermarkets in Maryland that are supposed to be selling frozen HRI pizza since you told me of your experience. 

I am excited about tasting a frozen HRI pizza and also being able to really see what there crusts are like.  Do you or anyone have any suggestions about what kind of HRI frozen pizzas to purchase?  I think the closest supermarket that sells the HRI frozen pizzas is about 73 miles away from where I live.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #405 on: March 15, 2013, 05:47:27 PM »
The photos show right after the dough ball was balled and also how the dough ball looked when I came home today.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #406 on: March 15, 2013, 06:49:36 PM »
Bob,

That is strange and interesting that you discovered that all of the grocery stores in your immediate area have stopped selling HRI frozen pizzas.  Glad to hear you could get some.   ;D

I sure appreciate it that you are willing to send me an HRI frozen pizza, but my daughter also just told me when she returned home from work today that she will take me to Maryland tomorrow to purchase some HRI frozen pizzas. If you want to save yourself the bother and expense of sending me a HRI frozen pizza that is fine with me.  I will also check and called the supermarkets in Maryland that are supposed to be selling frozen HRI pizza since you told me of your experience. 

I am excited about tasting a frozen HRI pizza and also being able to really see what there crusts are like.  Do you or anyone have any suggestions about what kind of HRI frozen pizzas to purchase?  I think the closest supermarket that sells the HRI frozen pizzas is about 73 miles away from where I live.

Norma
Ok Norma, sounds great...a nice 'lil trip to spend time with your daughter. Just post up here if ya'll for some reason are not able to go to Maryland.
As for suggestions, maybe try the 3 different ones I was going to send.   Their "traditional" pepperoni and sausage, the "ultra thin" sausage pie and a new one I just discovered that they are calling  "Signature"...never seen this one before, it looks like their regular crust but the box says "Signature" and "Meat Lovers" on it. It is topped with "sausage,uncured pepperoni, uncured bacon". Interesting.  I hope you score cause I wanna eat that bad looking boy!   :drool:
Have a fun safe trip Norma.  :chef:

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #407 on: March 15, 2013, 08:34:30 PM »
Ok Norma, sounds great...a nice 'lil trip to spend time with your daughter. Just post up here if ya'll for some reason are not able to go to Maryland.
As for suggestions, maybe try the 3 different ones I was going to send.   Their "traditional" pepperoni and sausage, the "ultra thin" sausage pie and a new one I just discovered that they are calling  "Signature"...never seen this one before, it looks like their regular crust but the box says "Signature" and "Meat Lovers" on it. It is topped with "sausage,uncured pepperoni, uncured bacon". Interesting.  I hope you score cause I wanna eat that bad looking boy!   :drool:
Have a fun safe trip Norma.  :chef:

Bob

Bob,

Thanks so much for all you did!  ;) I will post if I donít get to go tomorrow.  I called one Harris Teeter in MD since they were listed on Home Run Innís website, but they didnít carry the Home Run Inn frozen pizzas.  I called the next one and they did say they carry the HRI frozen pizzas, but they only have 4 varieties.  I didnít ask what the 4 kinds were, so I donít think I am going to have as many kinds of frozen HRI pizzas to pick from like you did.  All of the ones you chose sure sound great.  :P 

My daughter will almost have to drive to Washington, DC just to get me some frozen HRI pizzas.  I know that sounds crazy but she did drive to Mellow Mushroom in DC before for me to try their pizza. 

Thanks for saying to have a fun trip.

Hope you post the pictures of your HRI frozen pies when you bake them.  I would be interested in seeing what they look like.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #408 on: March 15, 2013, 08:40:25 PM »
This post is dedicated to Peter that helped me understand how to make this crust and pizza.  :chef: I followed Peterís instructions this time.  :angel: I sure donít know how I did, but the crust and pizza were delicious.  The rim crust was so flaky that when I pinched it with my tongs after the pre-baked it want to crumble.  There seemed like they were layers and even the middle of the undercrust just melted in my mouth.  I sure never though I would taste a crust like this. 

I used the same weights for the sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni as my last attempt and also used the same brand of sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni.

I did have a problem with my camera though.  I never turned on the flash since it is a fairly new camera and somehow must have turned it on mistakenly to stay on.  A lot of the pictures then became too bright, so I had to delete them.  I finally got a big glass of wine and tried to figure out why the flash was going on in each picture.  I did get it turned off, but that was when the pizza was in the oven.  Now after I tasted the pizza it is on to another big glass of wine.  Hope I donít post something weird tonight from drinking too much wine.  :-D

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #409 on: March 15, 2013, 08:43:59 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #410 on: March 15, 2013, 08:46:32 PM »
Norma
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:07:22 PM by Steve »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #411 on: March 15, 2013, 08:48:39 PM »
Norma
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:08:41 PM by Steve »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #412 on: March 15, 2013, 08:50:27 PM »
Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #413 on: March 15, 2013, 09:25:02 PM »
Norma,

That is a very tasty looking pizza. A few more tries and you will have a clone with most of the characteristics of an HRI pizza. It will also be interesting to see how you react to the real HRI frozen pizzas if you are able to find them.

The YouTube video that seems to best show how to form the rims of HRI skins is the one in Reply 223 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg241313/topicseen.html#msg241313. Note, in particular, how the rim is formed by moving the fingers in opposite directions around the perimeter of the pizza.

Maybe you have already indicated, but how did you prepare the dough and what temperature did you use to bake the pizza? And did you experience any problems in making the dough or pizza? I was somewhat surprised at the amount of crust coloration you got. In my oven, with my deconstructed and reconstructed HRI frozen pizzas, I did not get that degree of coloration.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #414 on: March 15, 2013, 10:34:27 PM »
Norma,

That is a very tasty looking pizza. A few more tries and you will have a clone with most of the characteristics of an HRI pizza. It will also be interesting to see how you react to the real HRI frozen pizzas if you are able to find them.

The YouTube video that seems to best show how to form the rims of HRI skins is the one in Reply 223 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg241313/topicseen.html#msg241313. Note, in particular, how the rim is formed by moving the fingers in opposite directions around the perimeter of the pizza.

Maybe you have already indicated, but how did you prepare the dough and what temperature did you use to bake the pizza? And did you experience any problems in making the dough or pizza? I was somewhat surprised at the amount of crust coloration you got. In my oven, with my deconstructed and reconstructed HRI frozen pizzas, I did not get that degree of coloration.

Peter

Peter,

I have to watch that video more at Reply 223 to be able to duplicate how the rim crust is exactly formed.  Thanks for referencing it again.  I tried to do it that way, but my crust didnít want to stay up as good as the HRI crusts do.   

I prepared the dough by sifting the flour, salt and IDY together and just dumped the corn oil in with the water and then dumped the water and oil combination in with the other ingredients.  I just mixed with a regular fork until all the ingredients looked mixed like my mother does when she makes pie crusts.  I didnít experience hardly any problems this time, except I have to learn the fluting method better to form the rim.  The dough ball was just dumped into the flour and a little flour was put on my wooden table.  I used my regular wooden rolling pin to roll the dough.  The skin that was fluted and docked were easy to transfer to the dark disk (with a little straightening needed after it was transferred to the disk).  The pre-bake was done at 465 degrees for about 14 minutes and then after the pie was dressed it was baked for about another 13 minutes.  I donít know why my crust had more coloration than your deconstructed and reconstructed HRI pizzas.  I did use my IR gun, but it is hard to take the temperature without a pizza stone in a oven.  The floor of the oven says one temperature and the sides say another temperature, so I am not exactly sure those were accurate temperatures.

I also weighed the pie right out of the oven and it weighed 791 grams.  Wasnít that a lot of weight for this 12Ē baked pizza?

I am interested in tasting a real HRI frozen pizza.  I sure hope Harris Teeter at Fulton, MD has those HRI frozen pizzas after they checked and told me they did. 

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #415 on: March 15, 2013, 10:41:47 PM »
FWIW...the frozen pies I was able to get at the next town over from me came from a Harris Teeter.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #416 on: March 15, 2013, 11:06:05 PM »
FWIW...the frozen pies I was able to get at the next town over from me came from a Harris Teeter.

Bob,

Thanks for telling me that the frozen HRI pies you were able to purchase were from a Harris Teeter too.  I think there are a lot of Harris Teeter's, but I have never been in any.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #417 on: March 15, 2013, 11:15:13 PM »
Bob,

Thanks for telling me that the frozen HRI pies you were able to purchase were from a Harris Teeter too.  I think there are a lot of Harris Teeter's, but I have never been in any.

Norma
Yep, they are very nice stores Norma but a bit of what they call "high end" I guess? The multi-grain tofu folks.  :)
But hey, I was shocked when I saw a frozen Genio's East (famous Chicago pizzeria" DD pie there. It was good but not for someone who can make them at home. I'm glad I tried it though.... :pizza:

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #418 on: March 15, 2013, 11:19:39 PM »
Yep, they are very nice stores Norma but a bit of what they call "high end" I guess? The multi-grain tofu folks.  :)
But hey, I was shocked when I saw a frozen Genio's East (famous Chicago pizzeria" DD pie there. It was good but not for someone who can make them at home. I'm glad I tried it though.... :pizza:

Bob

Bob,

If they are "high end" supermarkets, I won't be purchasing too much there if stuff is pricey.

Good to hear you were able to purchase the famous DD pie there.  At least it was a good experience to try it.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #419 on: March 15, 2013, 11:28:14 PM »
Bob,

If they are "high end" supermarkets, I won't be purchasing too much there if stuff is pricey.

Good to hear you were able to purchase the famous DD pie there.  At least it was a good experience to try it.

Norma
Oh no, don't worry...pizza prices were great. Most everything I got was on sale too.
I meant like for things around the deli and butcher counter...you can tell they cater to people wanting "special" brand this and that type products.
I also got some Ellio's frozen pizza squares...seen folks saying good things about those over on Serious Eats...we'll see. ;)

Bob