Author Topic: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation  (Read 84868 times)

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Re: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2010, 05:56:16 AM »
Jeff, your hand knead, depending on how aggressively you hand knead, I'd say should be in the 8-10 min. range.  Let it rise to double in size once as a bulk and then portion before fridge.  That's just easier than doing it after the fridge rise, I've found.  Portioning and re-balling cold, or even cool, dough is a pain.

Don't use EVOO.  In that amount it would be awful!  If you'd want to replace a small amount of the oil, say 5-10% of the total oil, with EVOO that could work but classic olive oil is still the better option. 

Good luck.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline BTB

« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2010, 07:42:44 AM »
Last night I tried another version of the HRI recipe and met with great success -- as a matter of fact, about half an hour after gobbling up all the pizza . . . I walked into the kitchen and was greeted by that very distinctive Home Run Inn smell!  . . . . It tasted just like HRI -- and even looked like HRI!
Buzz, we got to get you to reach for the camera next time and share that view of the pizza with the rest of us.  Sounds like a great tasting pizza.  I'm putting it on my "bucket list" to try.  I, too, like the taste and flavor of extra light OO.

--BTB                  ;D

Offline buzz

« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »
It usually doesn't last long enough to be photographed--lol!

I tried it again with 3 TBS oil and liked it better (but I heavily oiled the dough ball). The Sargento cheese seems to mimic HRI perfectly, but the mozzarealla-provolone blend might have a bit too much provolone. So I mixed in some more Sargento mozarella and this did the trick!

Offline loowaters

« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2010, 08:04:39 PM »
When you guys use the extra light olive oil, are you replacing all the corn oil with it or just a large percentage?

Loo

Offline buzz

« Reply #164 on: December 03, 2010, 08:36:24 AM »
I replace all the corn oil with the extra light olive oil. I find that the result is richer and more flavorful, and the olive oil isn't as unhealthy as corn oil. I'm assuming that HRI uses corn oil because it's cheaper.

Offline BTB

« Reply #165 on: December 03, 2010, 08:53:35 AM »
I generally only use either corn oil or vegetable oil as the "base" oil, and I'm finding myself blending either of those oils with olive oil more and more.  And I'm also starting to lean more and more in favor of having the olive oil in a larger proportion (of the oil total).  And with the olive oil, it's generally regular OO or preferably the extra light version, which we really like the effect or light taste that it gives to pizza crusts.  It doesn't seem to make much sense, but I think I somewhat agree with Buzz that it makes it more richer and flavorful . . . in a different kind of way.  But in any event, we just like it's effect.  Now with my beer, I don't know about extra light . . .

Incidentally, there's a pizzeria down here in the Tampa Bay area that often gets the media No. 1 best pizza in the region award (i.e., Cappy's) and they surprisingly put in a lot of extra virgin olive oil into their dough.  It's pretty distinctive when you taste a bite, but it is pretty good.  They are famous for their neo-neapolitan NY style thin crust and Chicago Style deep dish pizza.  I prefer their Chicago Style deep dish, but being originally from Chicago, I don't remember any of the classic deep dish greats using EVOO, but it is good in the Tampa version . . . surprisingly.

--BTB             :D

Offline loowaters

« Reply #166 on: December 03, 2010, 10:41:50 AM »
Thanks BTB for the breakdown on that.  Regarding EVOO in the dough, Gino's East's formulation cites it in their ingredients breakdown.  For my Gino's clone (based on foodblogger's) I use it in a very small percentage.

Loo

Offline cup-o-pizza

« Reply #167 on: December 04, 2010, 12:15:44 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm going to try this recipe very soon (I love HRI!).  I was just wondering which dough calculator Loo used to formulate the recipe on the first page of the thread.  I presume it was the Chicago dough calculator.  If so, what should I enter for the "how far up the sides" field?

Thanks,
Matt
Matt

Navin R. Johnson: "Oh, this is the best pizza in a cup ever. This guy is unbelievable. He ran the old Cup 'o Pizza guy out of business."

Offline loowaters

« Reply #168 on: December 04, 2010, 01:40:26 PM »
Matt, I actually devised this with my own spreadsheet but you could use the Expanded Dough Tool or the Deep Dish tool.  What I've adjusted to doing, and I don't think I've mentioned this before, is rollout one inch larger than my intended dimension.   You could use the Expanded Tool for that or try the DD Tool and use 1/2" or something on the side measurement.  That would give you a slightly thicker skin, though.

Loo 4

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2010, 01:44:12 PM »
Matt,

I would use the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html. It offers a lot more ingredients, including in the oil department in case you want to use a blend of oils.

Peter

Offline loowaters

« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2010, 03:38:03 PM »
I should clarify that I roll out that extra inch with the purpose of rolling it back to make the rim.  Pretty big detail I left out.  Sorry.

Loo

Offline cup-o-pizza

« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2010, 06:37:41 PM »
Thanks Pete and Loo. That's helpful info!  My perforated anodized pan should be arriving at the end of next week. I'll give this recipe a shot next weekend.
Matt

Navin R. Johnson: "Oh, this is the best pizza in a cup ever. This guy is unbelievable. He ran the old Cup 'o Pizza guy out of business."

Offline the_dude

• The dude abides ...
« Reply #172 on: December 05, 2010, 05:22:08 AM »
Loo,

Thanks again for the recipe and advice. I used all corn oil and it came out great! The crust had that nice, "marbled" look to the underside like your original pictures. I really need to figure out how to set up my digital camera for better closeups because the ones I took didn't do it justice, and I was really surprised just how similar it looked to yours. I'd say it was 1/2 shade lighter as I had my stone 2/3 up in my oven. Having only deep-dish (45 min.) pies under my belt, I just didn't trust the top would "out bake" the bottom on the middle rack. I will heed your advice and use the middle rack the next time around, because that bottom crust can withstand the heat. Never having eaten an H.R.I thin crust, I was impressed with the results. Even though the dough ingredients are almost identical to my deep dish, the crust is much different. It has an almost "candied" quality to it, and with all of the corn oil and crispiness, you would swear it has cornmeal added to it. Really unique but excellent. I only wish I made three instead of two!

Jeff

Offline zitomj

« Reply #173 on: October 16, 2011, 10:41:35 PM »
Here is a video showing the pizza being made in HRI restaurant.

<a href="http://youtu.be/TsQCgtla79E" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/TsQCgtla79E</a>

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #174 on: October 20, 2011, 11:30:52 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'm going to try my hand at making a Home Run Inn pie this weekend.  I have to admidt that i've gotten a bit lost with all the different HRI threads on this site though...  Can anyone tell me if Loo's original post in this thread is the best formula for this dough?  Also, since i've never actually had HRI before, are there any other threads on this site that I should read for background info on HRI before I try and make this pie?

i've had GREAT success with V&N pies, loo's generic thin crust, Malnati's, Lehmann's NYC, hoping this one will be as sucessful!

Thanks!   :chef:

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #175 on: October 23, 2011, 10:41:37 AM »
made this last night using the weights given in the original post and it turned out well.  i've never had HRI before so I can't tell how it compared to the original.  The crust had a very oily/rich pie-crust-like flavor.  It was good, but I think I prefer more "standard" tasting doughs.  

i'm now making quite excellent doughs, but what's really limiting the quality of my pies is my cheese.  i can't seem to find any of the recommend brands here in canada, so i'm just using private label "pizza mozarella" from teh supermarket.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #176 on: March 03, 2012, 06:46:57 PM »
Delicious recipe.  Great pizza.  There is something about it, though, that just isn't quite HRI.  To me, HRI has a more flaky/pastry quality, whereas this dough produced something decidedly more "biscuit"-like (in the parlance of this forum).  This recipe produced a crust that was very much like deep dish pizza, IMO.  Maybe I did something wrong, but I think of HRI more like a crunchy, oily croissant or something.  Well, not a croissant, but flaky and more dough-like, but stiff and even crunchy.  I dunno.  It's hard to describe. 

Again, really top notch pizza recipe.  I loved that it was detailed down to the sauce and cheese weight. 

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:49:00 PM by Garvey »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #177 on: March 03, 2012, 07:17:47 PM »
garvey, that looks awesome!  what kind of pan did you bake it in?  is it a deep dish pan?  how did that work?  what was your cook time and temperature?

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #178 on: March 03, 2012, 10:52:40 PM »
Thanks, CDNpielover.  Yeah, that's my 12" deep dish pan.  It worked great--so well, in fact, that I immediately regretted having ordered several cutter pans the other day.  Heh.

I baked it on the middle rack at 450o for 17 minutes.  (The stones were on the bottom rack, since I had a lot of baking to do...trying to reduce recovery time and all...three pizzas, two quesadillas, and two loaves of sour rye...)

I think if I try this again, I need to do more research.  There is something that just isn't right.  Don't get me wrong: it's a tasty pie and worthy in its own right.  It just isn't completely HRI.

Offline Buttercat

« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2012, 03:33:11 PM »
Delicious recipe.  Great pizza.  There is something about it, though, that just isn't quite HRI.  To me, HRI has a more flaky/pastry quality, whereas this dough produced something decidedly more "biscuit"-like (in the parlance of this forum).  This recipe produced a crust that was very much like deep dish pizza, IMO.  Maybe I did something wrong, but I think of HRI more like a crunchy, oily croissant or something.  Well, not a croissant, but flaky and more dough-like, but stiff and even crunchy.  I dunno.  It's hard to describe. 

Ha ha, I agree with this sentiment completely and read through this whole thread till I found someone who mentioned this; took all the way to the last page!

I like and have done the recipe stated here numerous times, but I've never had the crust come out *quite* with that crunchiness and almost splintered texture of a real HRI. I certainly don't want to change the "biscuit" into a croissant texture, but do you guys (Loo and Pete) think maybe folding the dough and chilling numerous times like one would a puff pastry would give it that "layered" touch?

I figure a long knead beforehand might even give it that stiff doughiness Garvey's talking about.