Author Topic: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation  (Read 88156 times)

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
Re: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation
« Reply #200 on: February 05, 2013, 01:23:06 PM »
Boy, I like the looks of that Mojo. You nailed it...fine job!  :chef:
Thanks so much Bob!  I still dont think they compete with those latest pies youve been making!!!!!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #201 on: February 05, 2013, 01:38:51 PM »
Terry,

Thata is a nice looking pizza.

Can you tell me what weight of dough you used, and how much cheese and sauce, also by weight, that you used?

Peter

I will have to check my calculator at home but heres the weights i used for 4 dough balls for 4 14 inch. pizzas.  This is Loos recipe!  Thank you Loo!!! You rock!!
>> 
>>1148g King Arthur AP Flour
>>476g Water
>>276g Corn Oil
>>20g ADY
>>20g Salt

Whole milk mozz was 16 oz precious brand.
The provologne was sargento thin sliced. I put the rounds directly on the sauce before the sausage and covered the whole pizza probably about 12-15 thin rounds.
The sauce was 2 i think 5 oz spoonfuls 10 oz total?

Next time i promise to be more exact in my measurements!!

Pete, thanks for all you do on this site you are a pizza treasure trove of knowledge!!!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #202 on: February 08, 2013, 11:27:35 AM »
It might be recalled that back in the other HRI thread, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6009.msg51517.html#msg51517, there was considerable discussion on the cheeses that HRI was using for its pizzas. It was believed at the time, based on articles that had been written about HRI and also information that was provided to me by an employee at HRI, that HRI was using three forms of mozzarella cheese. We speculated that maybe two of the mozzarella cheeses were a low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese and a whole-milk mozzarella cheese and possibly the third cheese was smoked mozzarella or maybe even scamorza. Recently, as I was conducting further research on HRI, I came across a section of HRI's website that deals with Hot Lunches for schools. It has been my experience in the past that it is fruitful to research school lunch programs because schools require specific nutrition information. That information often provides leads on details of the products provided to the schools.

HRI's Hot Lunch program is described at its website at http://www.homeruninnpizza.com/hot-lunch-program/menu-and-nutritional-information. It will be noted that there are links to see the nutritional information for several of its pizzas sold to schools. For some reason, the only active links are the ones for the 12" sausage pizza at http://www.foxriverfoods.com/cfm/prodinfo.cfm?itemnumber=397543, the 6" cheese pizza at http://www.foxriverfoods.com/cfm/prodinfo.cfm?itemnumber=397546 and the 6" sausage pizza at http://www.foxriverfoods.com/cfm/prodinfo.cfm?itemnumber=397545. The links to the pepperoni pizzas are dead. I tried to find copies of the nutrition documents for the pepperoni pizzas at the Wayback Machine but they apparently are not archived there. However, I was able to find an archived copy of the nutrition document for the 12" cheese pizza, at http://www.foxriverfoods.com/cfm/prodinfo.cfm?itemnumber=397544.

If one looks at the description of the cheeses in the above documents, it appears that there are two mozzarella cheeses. They are described as follows: CHEESE:(LOW MOISTURE PASTEURIZED PART SKIM MILK, MOZZARELLA), PASTEURIZED PART SKIM MILK, CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES. The differences between a generic low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese and a part-skim mozzarella cheese, apart from having different water contents (46.5% and 53.8%, respectively), can be seen at the NutritionData.self website at http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/28/2 and at http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/27/2. I have no idea as to why HRI would be using two forms of part-skim mozzarella cheese. It is also not clear exactly what HRI may be selling to schools. Two of the photos shown in the above links are to the Classic HRI pizzas. However, if one looks at the cheese ingredients lists for the current HRI frozen pizzas, for example, the 12" cheese and sausage pizzas, at http://www.homeruninnpizza.com/frozen-pizza/details?alias=classic-cheese and at http://www.homeruninnpizza.com/frozen-pizza/details?alias=classic-sausage, the cheese is described as follows: Mozzarella Cheese: Pasteurized part-skim milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes. If, as HRI says at its website, it is making its frozen pizzas just like its pizzeria pizzas ("Home Run Inn frozen pizzas use the same, exact recipes that we use in our nine Chicagoland pizzerias. The same all-natural ingredients. The same homemade sauces and sausage. Not a single additive or preservative"), then that would suggest that HRI is using only one mozzarella cheese on its pizzas, as discussed above.

Offhand, I do not recall seeing a part-skim mozzarella cheese in the supermarkets near me, only the low-moisture version. So, the low-moisture version is what most members may have to use on their HRI clones.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #203 on: February 08, 2013, 12:01:01 PM »
I should have mentioned in my last post that the four pizzas referenced in that post were all in the 2007-2008 timeframe, at least according to the Wayback Machine, which is about the time period that loo (loowaters) became interested in cloning the HRI pizzas. Also, the information on the four pizzas is from Fox River Foods, which apparently is HRI's foodservice company. As can be seen at http://www.foxriverfoods.com/, Fox River is about to be acquired by the Performance Food Group, which is a giant in the foodservice industry.

Another difference that I noted in looking at the nutrition information for the four pizzas and the current HRI frozen pizzas, is that the current HRI frozen pizzas have more oregano than the prior versions.

Peter

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #204 on: February 08, 2013, 12:31:40 PM »
Peter,
I believe I have purchased a l/m p/s cheese in the grocery store made by Sorrento....not to be confused with Sargento.  :)  (Bob don't like Sargento cheeses)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #205 on: February 08, 2013, 12:40:50 PM »
Peter,
I believe I have purchased a l/m p/s cheese in the grocery store made by Sorrento....not to be confused with Sargento.  :)  (Bob don't like Sargento cheeses)

Bob,

I was referring to just a part-skim mozzarella cheese, not the low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese, of which there are many brands sold in supermarkets. I will have to start paying attention more closely when I check out cheese sections in the supermarkets near me to see if maybe I missed seeing a part-skim mozzarella cheese with a lower moisture content.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:42:26 PM by Pete-zza »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #206 on: February 22, 2013, 04:49:58 PM »
A while back, I sent an email to Home Run Inn in which I asked if the flour used to make their pizzas was bromated. The answer came today. The flour is not bromated. Since HRI prides itself in not using any preservatives or additives (see the related comment at http://www.homeruninnpizza.com/), I would imagine that the flour is also not bleached. Ruling out bromates and bleaching agents rules out a lot of professional flours for the HRI pizzas. But there are still a lot of professional flours that HRI can use.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:53:15 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #207 on: March 04, 2013, 08:09:33 PM »
Home Run Inn Pizza posted this picture today on facebook.  This is what it said.

Home Run Inn Pizza added a milestone from 1947 to their timeline:31st Street kitchen circa 1947

Here is a look at what our kitchen looked like in 1947! Nowadays, our kitchen looks a little different, but we use the same recipe we did way back then! — at Home Run Inn, 31st Street.

Some of the commenter’s posts were interesting, although I never tried a HRI pizza.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #208 on: March 04, 2013, 08:46:55 PM »
Even the frozen grocery store ones are not too bad at all Norma...I think you would like it, very different unusual crust.
I have one every few months to satisfy a back home craving.  :)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: March 04, 2013, 09:12:06 PM »
Even the frozen grocery store ones are not too bad at all Norma...I think you would like it, very different unusual crust.
I have one every few months to satisfy a back home craving.  :)

Bob,

I looked and think the nearest supermarket to me that sells HRI frozen pizzas is in Maryland.  I would have liked to try one. 

The very different unusual crust sounds interesting. 

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #210 on: March 04, 2013, 09:16:01 PM »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #211 on: March 04, 2013, 09:55:44 PM »
HRI uses the same photo on its menus: http://www.homeruninnpizza.com/website/documents/menus/HRI_TakeOutMenu_2012_Archer.pdf.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for posting that HRI uses the same photo on its menus.  Someday I might try to make a HRI pizza.  I would like to try every type of pizza on the forum if I find the time.  If I ever find myself in Maryland if will purchase a HRI frozen pizza to see why it is so different. 

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #212 on: March 04, 2013, 10:01:21 PM »
Norma,
HRI is sold in some Walmarts...I just checked the store in Lancaster and it was not carried at that store.  >:(
FWIW, I have made their crust at home and it is easy....turns out real authentic too. Good luck should you ever decide to give it a go.... :chef:

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: March 04, 2013, 10:27:27 PM »
Norma,
HRI is sold in some Walmarts...I just checked the store in Lancaster and it was not carried at that store.  >:(
FWIW, I have made their crust at home and it is easy....turns out real authentic too. Good luck should you ever decide to give it a go.... :chef:

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for checking at the Walmart in Lancaster.  Interesting that you have made the crust at home and it was easy and authentic.  I might give a HRI pizza a try someday.  I have to read the threads.

Norma

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #214 on: March 04, 2013, 11:00:17 PM »
Norma,

Bob

Can you give a link to the thread for the easy, authentic dough you made?  Or share a formulation?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #215 on: March 04, 2013, 11:05:51 PM »
Can you give a link to the thread for the easy, authentic dough you made?  Or share a formulation?
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.0.html

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #216 on: March 04, 2013, 11:07:04 PM »
Oh sorry, I didn't realize you had made the dough in this thread.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #217 on: March 04, 2013, 11:20:41 PM »
Oh sorry, I didn't realize you had made the dough in this thread.
Yes, I made my first one probably about 3 years ago. I'm a big fan of Loo Waters and always found his directions to be very helpful..and he encourages tweaking.  :)
This dough works great at home but it does require playing around with the oil level a bit to get it where ya want it.  :chef:

Bob

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #218 on: March 05, 2013, 08:59:25 AM »
FWIW, I have made their crust at home and it is easy....turns out real authentic too.

Respectfully--but strongly--I could not disagree more.  The recipe in this thread is absolutely nothing like HRI at all. 

FWIW, I'd take the frozen version any day over the supposed "clone" recipe.  It is not just the flavor but the entire texture and other characteristics that are simply not there.  Given a blind taste test, I wouldn't even think, "Hmmm, I see what you're going for--Home Run Inn?"  It is really that far off the mark, despite the raves in this thread.

Obviously, YMMV...

Garvey

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #219 on: March 05, 2013, 10:15:08 AM »
Respectfully--but strongly--I could not disagree more.  The recipe in this thread is absolutely nothing like HRI at all. 

FWIW, I'd take the frozen version any day over the supposed "clone" recipe.  It is not just the flavor but the entire texture and other characteristics that are simply not there.  Given a blind taste test, I wouldn't even think, "Hmmm, I see what you're going for--Home Run Inn?"  It is really that far off the mark, despite the raves in this thread.

Obviously, YMMV...

Garvey
Garvey,

I have spent considerable time studying the HRI pizzas and methods over the past couple months, including what was done in the early days of HRI, what it now does in its stores, and what it has been doing in its frozen pizza operation, and I think that you may be right. Unfortunately, from the reverse engineering and cloning standpoint, I have been forced to limit myself to what HRI had been doing with its frozen pizzas because the only nutrition information that is available on their pizzas is the Nutrition Facts for their frozen pizzas. I even found what I believe to be a major error in the HRI Nutrition Facts that cannot be explained based on what I know about pizza and ingredients. The "error", if that is what it is, also falls outside of the FDA's 20% rule. I have called HRI on this matter, and even told them where to look for the answer, and was told that they would look into it. If I am right, technically they should correct their Nutrition Facts because the error is in an area that nutritionists and other health professionals have indicated to be an important one from a nutrition standpoint. I am not holding my breath that they will get back to me even though I asked them to do so. If I am wrong, I want to know where and why.

I have been studying mainly the HRI frozen cheese, pepperoni and sausage pizzas because there are similarities as well as differences that shed light on what they are doing. I have concluded that while the dough formulations that have been discussed in this thread, and in the companion thread, may lead to crusts that have a flavor that is similar to an HRI crust, I believe the weights are off, at least for the crusts. While I haven't studied each and every dough formulation, I think that the dough ball weights have been too high for the most part, and that can lead to the crust textures being off. There is also the matter of being able to simulate the HRI crust (the frozen version) when using a home oven where it may be necessary to use a screen or a dark anodized perforated disk (as used in the HRI stores) as opposed to a conveyor oven as used by HRI where the skins are processed "naked" (i.e., without disks or other carriers), docked, pre-baked, dressed and then baked further (but not 100%) before freezing. There may also be some issues related to how to achieve the flakiness of an HRI crust using standard home stand mixers or even food processors. We also can't simulate hot dough presses that HRI uses in its stores and in its frozen pizza operation. But I do not deem these issues to be insurmountable. I think it is possible to come quite close, and in some cases to better the frozen HRI pizzas and come closer to the store versions.

If you hadn't been so vocal and outspoken on this subject, I perhaps wouldn't have decided to take it up again. However, I think I know more about what I am doing now as compared with what I knew and did when loo (loowaters) started the original HRI thread.

Peter

pizzapan