Author Topic: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation  (Read 84827 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation
« Reply #260 on: March 08, 2013, 07:14:54 PM »
Norma,

I used my non perforated dark anodized cutter pan on the rack. I think you would be fine with either your cutter pan you have or the Loyds perforated disc. If you decide to use one of these 2 then I will try my next one directly on a stone so that we have more pies to compare with.

Bob

Bob,

Thank you for telling me you used you nonperforated dark anodized cutter pan on the rack.  Thanks also for telling me you think I should be fine with either my cutter pan or the Lloyd’s perforated disk.  What rack position did you bake on?

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #261 on: March 08, 2013, 09:58:24 PM »
Bob,

Thank you for telling me you used you nonperforated dark anodized cutter pan on the rack.  Thanks also for telling me you think I should be fine with either my cutter pan or the Lloyd’s perforated disk.  What rack position did you bake on?

Norma
Right in the middle Norma. And with my stone(which is the same as yours)on the rack just above it.
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #262 on: March 08, 2013, 10:25:20 PM »
Right in the middle Norma. And with my stone(which is the same as yours)on the rack just above it.
Bob

Bob,

Thanks so much for telling me what rack you baked on and that you had your stone on the rack just above it.  Do you know what placing the stone above the pizza does for the bake?  Do you always place a stone above the rack when you are baking a pizza like the HRI pizza?  Sorry to be asking so many questions. 

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #263 on: March 08, 2013, 10:50:26 PM »
Bob,

Thanks so much for telling me what rack you baked on and that you had your stone on the rack just above it.  Do you know what placing the stone above the pizza does for the bake?  Do you always place a stone above the rack when you are baking a pizza like the HRI pizza?  Sorry to be asking so many questions. 

Norma
That's fine Norma, ask all you want...you never turn me away.  :)

With this gas oven that has the burner in the drawer, all of the heat travels up(obviously). And the top rack is really not very close to the ceiling of the oven. So...it won't really help much for top browning(if it is necessary). Having the stone right above the pizza that is baking helps me get the correct amount of top heat..balanced if you will.  Without having to mess around with the juggeling act of putting the pizza down in the drawer(broil) at the last minute.   This works great but does take a little trial and error(which racks to use)   depending on the style of pizza one is baking.
I've described the set-up that will probably give you good results for your HRI attempt. Center rack...disk/cutter pan...stone just above that.
Good luck Norma, you will like this pizza.....I gauuuuurrraaaannteee!   iiiyeee!!  >:D

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #264 on: March 08, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
That's fine Norma, ask all you want...you never turn me away.  :)

With this gas oven that has the burner in the drawer, all of the heat travels up(obviously). And the top rack is really not very close to the ceiling of the oven. So...it won't really help much for top browning(if it is necessary). Having the stone right above the pizza that is baking helps me get the correct amount of top heat..balanced if you will.  Without having to mess around with the juggeling act of putting the pizza down in the drawer(broil) at the last minute.   This works great but does take a little trial and error(which racks to use)   depending on the style of pizza one is baking.
I've described the set-up that will probably give you good results for your HRI attempt. Center rack...disk/cutter pan...stone just above that.
Good luck Norma, you will like this pizza.....I gauuuuurrraaaannteee!   iiiyeee!!  >:D

Bob

Bob,

I am glad you don’t mind too many questions.   ;D

I am not sure if I will do the bake in my mom’s oven, or my home oven.  My mom is fussy about making any kind of mess in her oven, or her kitchen. 

Thanks for your detailed reply to my questions.  Thanks also for describing the set-up that will probably give me good results with my HRI attempt. 

This is all new to me, so I will see what happens.  Thanks so much for the good luck too.

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #265 on: March 08, 2013, 11:15:39 PM »
Bob,

I am glad you don’t mind too many questions.   ;D

I am not sure if I will do the bake in my mom’s oven, or my home oven.  My mom is fussy about making any kind of mess in her oven, or her kitchen.  

Thanks for your detailed reply to my questions.  Thanks also for describing the set-up that will probably give me good results with my HRI attempt.  

This is all new to me, so I will see what happens.  Thanks so much for the good luck too.

Norma
Oh...that's right...I forgot that Momma said from now on you are only allowed to cook DS(?) style pizza's in her oven, sorry.  :(

Maybe you could bribe her with a fresh bouquet of flowers(that would be thoughtful)...I have a feeling she may prefer a nice 'lil bottle of your brothers vino though.... ^^^

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #266 on: March 08, 2013, 11:28:46 PM »
Oh...that's right...I forgot that Momma said from now on you are only allowed to cook DS(?) style pizza's in her oven, sorry.  :(

Maybe you could bribe her with a fresh bouquet of flowers(that would be thoughtful)...I have a feeling she may prefer a nice 'lil bottle of your brothers vino though.... ^^^

Bob,

Mom said I can only bake Mack's clones, or Detroit style pizzas at her home.  She still gets upset if I get a little bit of flour anywhere. 

I might try to bake my attempt in my home oven first to see what happens.  My heat comes from my bottom coil in my electric oven.  Mine might even be a disaster, so I would want to try it first.   :-D

Norma

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #267 on: March 08, 2013, 11:32:41 PM »
This is off topic, but Norma, if I understand correctly, you're a grandmother -- right?  does that mean you're cooking in a great-grandmother's oven?  If so, that is SO COOL!  reminds me of when I (as a toddler) used to spend time in my great-grandmother's kitchen, many years ago now.   :chef: :chef: :chef:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #268 on: March 08, 2013, 11:39:36 PM »
This is off topic, but Norma, if I understand correctly, you're a grandmother -- right?  does that mean you're cooking in a great-grandmother's oven?  If so, that is SO COOL!  reminds me of when I (as a toddler) used to spend time in my great-grandmother's kitchen, many years ago now.   :chef: :chef: :chef:

CDNpielover,

I am a great-grandmother.  It would be my mother's oven I used a few times.  

I am glad it reminded you of when you were a toddler and spent time at your great-grandmother's.  :) I really like memories too.  My grandmother used to bake in an old-fashioned wood oven in the middle of her kitchen, but she didn't want anyone messing in her kitchen either, but that wasn't my mother's mother, it was my dad's mother.  :-D

Norma

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #269 on: March 08, 2013, 11:42:05 PM »
CDNpielover,

I am a great-grandmother.  It would be my mother's oven I used a few times.  

I am glad it reminded you of when you were a toddler and spent time at your great-grandmother's.  :) I really like memories too.  My grandmother used to bake in an old-fashioned wood oven in the middle of her kitchen, but she didn't want anyone messing in her kitchen either, but that wasn't my mother' mother, it was my dad's mother.  :-D

Norma

Haha, that's awesome!  Again, this is off topic, but thanks for all of your input on this forum.  You're one of my favorite (top 2 or 3) contributors on this forum.   :chef: :pizza:

EDIT:  wait - does that mean the great-great-grandmother is still alive???  (that would be amazing, and SO cool!)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #270 on: March 08, 2013, 11:51:38 PM »
Haha, that's awesome!  Again, this is off topic, but thanks for all of your input on this forum.  You're one of my favorite (top 2 or 3) contributors on this forum.   :chef: :pizza:

EDIT:  wait - does that mean the great-great-grandmother is still alive???  (that would be amazing, and SO cool!)

CDNpielover,

Thanks for your kind comment.  I don't want to get off-topic anymore either, but my neither of my grandmothers are alive anymore.  My mom is over 90 years old now.

Norma

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #271 on: March 08, 2013, 11:54:33 PM »
CDNpielover,

Thanks for your kind comment.  I don't want to get off-topic anymore either, but my neither of my grandmothers are alive anymore.  My mom is over 90 years old now.

Norma

Thanks, Norma!  I don't mean to be sappy, but it's really neat that we have about 4 generations of people actively involved on these forums.   :chef: :pizza:  Thank your mother for all of us!   :chef:

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #272 on: March 09, 2013, 12:22:53 AM »
Thanks, Norma!  I don't mean to be sappy, but it's really neat that we have about 4 generations of people actively involved on these forums.   :chef: :pizza:  Thank your mother for all of us!   :chef:
And please tell her we need her oven!  :-*

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #273 on: March 09, 2013, 03:35:27 PM »
After reading the article that Peter had referenced before about HRI and how they operate their frozen pizza facility, I decide to try some of their methods.  These are some things taken out of article at http://www.bsimagazine.com/Features/Company%20Profiles/US%20Archive/At%20its%20new%20plant%20Home%20Run%20Inn%20makes%20frozen%20pizza%20the%20pizzaria%20way.aspx?p=1&cck=1 

“We know we offer the best pizza we can make,” he continued. “Our approach has been to make one type of product and keep it simple.” Mr. DeAngelo pointed to the ingredient statement on product packages, saying, “We keep the list short.”

Home Run Inn pizza stands out not only for its simple ingredient statement but also for its unique processing style. Every pizza is baked before it's frozen.

“Conventional frozen pizza is made with a partially baked crust that is frozen first, then topped with cheese, sauce and par-cooked meats, only to be frozen again. That's the standard way,” Mr. DeAngelo said.

“But we are one of only a few companies to manufacture in this style, producing pre-baked pizzas,” he continued. “We use all raw ingredients and par-bake the pizza as a unit. This is just like pizzerias do. It's a process that blends the flavors so you get real pizzeria taste.”

“We take pizza to the next step,” Mr. Perrino said. “We do not double-freeze the crust, so there is no loss of flavor. Because we bake the pizza, the toppings don't fall off as they do with conventional frozen pizza. And we use cryogenic freezing methods to further protect the flavor.”

Home Run Inn chose cryogenic freezing over mechanical and blast styles. Temperatures generated by the liquid nitrogen process reach -50° to -80°F (-45° to -62°C). Each pizza goes directly from the oven to the freezer and within minutes is frozen solid.

“This locks in the flavor we want,” Mr. DeAngelo said.

The cryogenic method prevents dehydration from refrigeration, according to the company. And it opens up future opportunities for new products such as pirogies and ravioli.

Soon after setting up its commercial plant, the company sought the assistance of Tom Lehman of the American Institute of Baking. “What we learned is that we have to stick to the basics, keep up our quality and not be tempted to cut costs,” said Mr. Perrino. “These are expensive choices, but they're what the public wants. And it's what we must do to achieve our plan to ‘take the niche' for premium pizzas in our market area.”

This is one part of that article that I found interesting and what was said. 

“The hardest thing to do under U.S.D.A. standards,” Mr. Perrino said, “is to run a bakery in a U.S.D.A. plant, and that's what we have here.”

After mixing, the pizza dough is allowed to ferment in tubs containing 40-lb batches. The company likes the unique flavor that natural fermentation produces. Tubs are cleaned and sanitized between batches.

“Our dough is given the time to develop flavor naturally,” Mr. Perrino said. “No additives are used to speed up the process. We follow ‘old world' methods that rely on time and natural fermentation.”

After the proper amount of floor time, the dough is dumped into a Benier bread system that divides and rounds individual dough pieces and puts them through a period of intermediate proofing. From the proofer, the dough balls travel along an overhead delivery conveyor into the pressing room. A chute sends the balls to a shallow bin, and an operator manually places the balls on the conveyor leading to the presses.

That part of the article got me to thinking that I wanted to try to get the unique flavor that natural fermentation produces.  The proofing two times also interested me.

I also watched the video that was referenced before at
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KrnK-TORnE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KrnK-TORnE</a>
  and this video I found. 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQCgtla79E" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQCgtla79E</a>
  In the video I found they said the dough is aged for 2 to 3 days like an Artisan bread.  The showed the dough on that video.  They also showed how to shape the dough and dress it.  I don’t think the second video was posted on either of the HRI threads, but maybe I missed it.

Home Run Inn CEO Joe Perrino appeared on Fox Business in February to about the company's history and our strategy for growth even in the worst of times.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgqhSVUukc8&amp;list=UU1Yvhdso3rYkh8G42n3TlLQ&amp;index=7" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgqhSVUukc8&amp;list=UU1Yvhdso3rYkh8G42n3TlLQ&amp;index=7</a>

I also read though both of the HRI threads and then this is what I decided to do.  Basically, I use some of the formulations posted here, but changed them a little as what was posted on both threads.  I mixed the dough with the flat beater first, then changed to a dough hook.  The dough mixed fine.  The dough was left in the oven to proof and then was punched down and I am letting it proof again with the oven light on.  From there I will ball the dough and place it into the fridge.  I am not sure if I will be able to make pizza tonight or tomorrow, but with all that yeast that was put into the dough I guess I should try to make the pizza tonight.  I would have tried these methods over two or three days, but didn’t read about it before.  I know am trying to decide how much sauce, cheese and sausage to use on the 10” pizza.

Any comments about what I have done and if I should have changed anything, or still need to change anything?

Pictures of the progression and the formulation I used for a 10” HRI attempt.

Norma
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 12:27:51 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #274 on: March 09, 2013, 03:38:33 PM »
I will have to learn to resize my pictures differently because now they are really off center.

Norma

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #275 on: March 09, 2013, 03:51:41 PM »
GREAT videos, thanks for posting!  I appreciate HRI even more now LOL.   :-D  Dough looks great too, can't wait to see the finished product.

Offline pete zappie

« Reply #276 on: March 09, 2013, 04:22:06 PM »
is there a big difference in ady and idy ......also this is very simmular to the loy malnatis clone minus the salmolina

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #277 on: March 09, 2013, 04:38:37 PM »
Norma,
Your dough is looking real good. I like that you used corn oil, I think it makes a difference. I see you used 21% for oil, a little less than usual, I think, and I'm interested in seeing how this bakes. My heavy oil doughs look ugly, yours is pretty and I imagine it is fermenting better.

I posted my topping weights here if you'd like to consider them. I think they were real close. Good luck!  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg241729.html#msg241729
Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #278 on: March 09, 2013, 04:56:32 PM »
Norma,
Your dough is looking real good. I like that you used corn oil, I think it makes a difference. I see you used 21% for oil, a little less than usual, I think, and I'm interested in seeing how this bakes. My heavy oil doughs look ugly, yours is pretty and I imagine it is fermenting better.

I posted my topping weights here if you'd like to consider them. I think they were real close. Good luck!  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg241729.html#msg241729
Bob

Bob,

I used a little less corn oil because of what Peter posted that somewhere on this thread and I upped the salt level because of what Peter posted at Reply 242.  I can’t copy the links right now by clicking on those little papers.  The dough is fermenting well I guess because I used a large amount of ADY.  Now I will have to wait and see if the edges of the crust stand up right.

Thanks for showing me the weights of toppings you used.

HRI dough after it rose again and dough ball.  It is in the fridge now.

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #279 on: March 09, 2013, 05:10:46 PM »
Ok thanks Norma...I don't need those links.

I tried clicking on those little papers too earlier for something and found out it works if you click just to the right..on the topic heading...RE:Home run Inn   (or where ever it is you are at).  Click that and it will change the www. location box at the top of your screen...just copy and then paste that.
This is what I'm doing anyway..you probably know a better way.