Author Topic: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation  (Read 112640 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation
« Reply #425 on: March 16, 2013, 06:16:13 PM »
Bob,

As Garvey noted at Reply 183 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg190287/topicseen.html#msg190287 , apparently there is a better way to bake the HRI frozen pizzas than to follow the instructions on the box. In my case, I had no choice but to bake the HRI frozen pizzas when they were completely defrosted since I had dismantled them and put them back together again after I had taken all of my measurements. But, even then, the rims could get quite hard if the pizzas were allowed to bake too long.

I will be interested in Norma's reactions once she has a chance to try out the frozen HRI pizzas.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 06:18:29 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #426 on: March 16, 2013, 06:19:53 PM »
I've made a few, and I had a rock hard rim using both Garvey's instructions, and the instructions on the box.

EDIT:  I could have baked them too long, but for the same middle "doneness," other pizzas I make don't get nearly as hard.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 06:22:44 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #427 on: March 16, 2013, 06:36:42 PM »
Bob,

As Garvey noted at Reply 183 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg190287/topicseen.html#msg190287 , apparently there is a better way to bake the HRI frozen pizzas than to follow the instructions on the box. In my case, I had no choice but to bake the HRI frozen pizzas when they were completely defrosted since I had dismantled them and put them back together again after I had taken all of my measurements. But, even then, the rims could get quite hard if the pizzas were allowed to bake too long.

I will be interested in Norma's reactions once she has a chance to try out the frozen HRI pizzas.

Peter
Yes, I forgot to post that on my pie# 3 I reduced the oven temp to 425. Half of that bake was on a thick pan so it was probably close to the results Garvey had at 410 on the rack. It does take a 'lil longer and Garvey hit it on the head with that rec.    You need the extra time to get the ingredients up to temp. and lower oven temp. to avoid the hard brittle rim...I've never seen a frozen pizza take so long to get the sauce and cheese hot. Suppose it is that oil laden dense crust not allowing good heat transfer through the dough.

I made that rant post mainly for Norma's benefit so she has some bake tips in case she scored today on the trip up North with her daughter.... ;)

Bob
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 06:38:28 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #428 on: March 16, 2013, 06:58:27 PM »
I find all of your conversations interesting on how to achieve a good bake on a frozen HRI pizzas.  I sure donít know what to try. 

I purchased 5 HRI frozen pizzas at Harris Teeter today.  Harris Teeter didnít have a lot of choices for the HRI frozen pizzas, but at least I should be able to taste what the HRI frozen pizzas taste like.

I should have stayed in MD.  It was about 34 degrees when my daughter and I left home and it was 54 degrees when we arrived at Harris Teeter.  When we came home it was 34 degrees again.  I like warmer weather better. 

Bob, you were right that the Harris Teeter stores are neat.  We ate our way though the samples in the store and I purchased some Shrimp Tempura Sushi to eat and had a Peteyís Bing Black drink.  All the food was good. 

I tried to post the pictures, but this is what it said.  The 3 photos are the right size limit to the best of my knowledge.  The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.  I never saw that message when I went to post pictures that the upload folder is full.

I will try in the my next post to post the pictures and see what happens.

Norma
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 07:05:54 PM by norma427 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #429 on: March 16, 2013, 07:22:21 PM »
I find all of your conversations interesting on how to achieve a good bake on a frozen HRI pizzas.  I sure donít know what to try. 

I purchased 5 HRI frozen pizzas at Harris Teeter today.  Harris Teeter didnít have a lot of choices for the HRI frozen pizzas, but at least I should be able to taste what the HRI frozen pizzas taste like.

I should have stayed in MD.  It was about 34 degrees when my daughter and I left home and it was 54 degrees when we arrived at Harris Teeter.  When we came home it was 34 degrees again.  I like warmer weather better. 

Bob, you were right that the Harris Teeter stores are neat.  We ate our way though the samples in the store and I purchased some Shrimp Tempura Sushi to eat and had a Peteyís Bing Black drink.  All the food was good. 

I tried to post the pictures, but this is what it said.  The 3 photos are the right size limit to the best of my knowledge.  The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.  I never saw that message when I went to post pictures that the upload folder is full.

I will try in the my next post to post the pictures and see what happens.

Norma
Norma,
I would highly rec. Garvey's way......frozen, middle rack, 410 degrees.   Rotate after 15 min. and then keep your Eagle eye out on it after about another 8 min. You will be golden...trust 'ol Bob!  ;)

Bob

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #430 on: March 16, 2013, 07:30:19 PM »
Norma,
I would highly rec. Garvey's way......frozen, middle rack, 410 degrees.   Rotate after 15 min. and then keep your Eagle eye out on it after about another 8 min. You will be golden...trust 'ol Bob!  ;)

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for recommending Garvey's method of baking a HRI frozen pizza.  I am too full tonight to try one, but might try to bake one tomorrow.  I purchased two bigger frozen pizzas and 3 small frozen pizzas.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #431 on: March 16, 2013, 08:13:15 PM »
If anyone is interested, I sent Steve, the administrator of this forum, a PM why Bob and I couldnít upload pictures on this thread.  Steve told me that the attachment directory was full and he just fixed it.  Thanks Steve.  ;D

These are the pictures I was trying to upload.  I think I will have enough HRI frozen pizzas to decide if I like them or not and also will now be able to examine the crusts.

Norma

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #432 on: March 16, 2013, 08:18:14 PM »
Hey Norma, do they carry sausage HRI at Harrie Teeter?  (Is that the one that's sold out?)  They didn't have it here in Arizona, which is too bad because sausage is my favorite and Bob (I think) said it's good.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #433 on: March 16, 2013, 08:26:09 PM »
Hey Norma, do they carry sausage HRI at Harrie Teeter?  (Is that the one that's sold out?)  They didn't have it here in Arizona, which is too bad because sausage is my favorite and Bob (I think) said it's good.

CDNpielover,

No, the Harris Teeter I went to didn't carry the HRI frozen pizza with sausage.  The empty space that was sold out was another brand of frozen pizza.  Sorry to hear in Arizona that there wasn't any HRI frozen sausage pizza either.  I would have liked to been able to try the HRI frozen sausage pizza too. 

Norma 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:27:43 PM by norma427 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #434 on: March 16, 2013, 08:47:52 PM »
CDN,
As always, I recommend people that are new to Chicago pizza to always try a sausage only pie.  Thin or deep...don't matter. And the same is true for a HRI pizza...but be forwarned....their sausage is kinda strange man. But it is what it is and that is still rec. to get the jist of a HRI pizza. It is not your typical Garvey homemade Chi-town fennel and other great spices or my Primio mild good an greazzy stuff. Their sausage borders on a "nasty nugget" wierd texture processed deal...much better ITRW on 31st. Street...but I'm just say'in man.

Frozen wise...I have only seen sausage with pepperoni pie's in their large size.....now the mini's I have seen with sausage only. Not sure why they seem to be all over the map with their different topping availabilities. I assume it has to do with regional favorites but even that appears a bit hokus pokus to me....Craig would know more about these marketing  disparities than I...

Bob

edit: changed "of" to "on" in reference to their sausage being better in person...i.e.  31st. Street
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:54:38 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #435 on: March 16, 2013, 08:49:56 PM »
CDN,
As always, I recommend people that are new to Chicago pizza to always try a sausage only pie.  Thin or deep...don't matter. And the same is true for a HRI pizza...but be forwarned....their sausage is kinda strange man. But it is what it is and that is still rec. to get the jist of a HRI pizza. It is not your typical Garvey homemade Chi-town fennel and other great spices or my Primio mild good an greazzy stuff. Their sausage borders on a "nasty nugget" wierd texture processed deal...much better ITRW of 31st. Street...but I'm just say'in man.

Frozen wise...I have only seen sausage and pepperoni pie's in their large size.....the mini's I have seen with sausage only. Not sure why they seem to be all over the map with their different topping availabilities. I assume it has to do with regional favorites but even that appears a bit hokus pokus to me....Craig would know more about these marketing  disparities than I...

Bob

Lol after reading that I can't say I really want to try it!  Not really a fan of their frozen pies anyhow.  :chef:

Garvey's sausage is killer btw
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:51:36 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #436 on: March 16, 2013, 08:59:53 PM »
Lol after reading that I can't say I really want to try it!  Not really a fan of their frozen pies anyhow.  :chef:

Garvey's sausage is killer btw
Well CDN...you never know. It will give you a "hit" of being in Chi-town, and my critique may be a bit harsh(but I don't think so 8) ). Heck, if you can even find one ...for the price it ain't gonna break the bank to at least try one. ya never know...you might like it!  ;D

Do you own a dog?    >:D

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #437 on: March 16, 2013, 09:03:41 PM »
To be honest, I don't care much for their frozen pizzas...  I think the dough has some interesting qualities, and this thread is great, but it's just not my thing I suppose.  I'm guessing their fresh pizzas are much better than their frozen pies, otherwise I can't understand the hype!   :chef:

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontiŤres
« Reply #438 on: March 17, 2013, 11:29:01 AM »
I wonder if there are any other mumblings out on the web of them changing their recipe? in my frozen pizzas experience growing up in the burbs I would get home run Inn or reggios.  their sausages are totally different but in my memory I thought their crusts were similar. and they were both good for being frozen pizzas.   anyone have a reggios lately?
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #439 on: March 17, 2013, 11:30:57 AM »
I emailed Home Run Inn and said they I saw on the web that people seemed to be having problems when trying to bake a frozen HRI pizza in their home ovens.  I said some people have reported the crust became too tough or too brown and I had read the baking instructions on the back of the box and would like HRIís opinion on how to precede with the bake of a frozen pizza so I could have the best results.  I also said I would like my frozen pizzas to turn out like Home Run Innís fresh pizzas out of their conveyor ovens.  This is what Home Run Inn replied to me. 

The directions on the box assuming the oven is calibrated accurately. Create pizza very close the conveyor cooked pizza. Good luck. And let me know how it goes.

I am going to try to bake a HRI small frozen cheese pizza early in the afternoon.

Does anyone have any other questions they want me to ask of Home Run Inn?

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #440 on: March 17, 2013, 11:49:52 AM »

Does anyone have any other questions they want me to ask of Home Run Inn?

Norma
Yes Norma I do....ask them how you are supposed to interpret their broken, and incorrect use of English in their response to your polite e-mail inquire.  Good luck.... ::)

"The directions on the box assuming the oven is calibrated accurately. Create pizza very close the conveyor cooked pizza. Good luck. And let me know how it goes."

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #441 on: March 17, 2013, 12:14:35 PM »
Yes Norma I do....ask them how you are supposed to interpret their broken, and incorrect use of English in their response to your polite e-mail inquire.  Good luck.... ::)

"The directions on the box assuming the oven is calibrated accurately. Create pizza very close the conveyor cooked pizza. Good luck. And let me know how it goes."

Bob,

You know I won't ask HRI that question.  At least they answered me and are interested in hearing how the bake goes.

I think I will use Garvey's and your instructions though.  I know you both know what to do to bake a HRI frozen pizza.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #442 on: March 17, 2013, 12:49:57 PM »
Bob,

You know I won't ask HRI that question.

Norma
The sweetest lady on the internet...I still think "Pizza Brain" would do themselves a humongous favor if they hired Norma to handle front end....I know,I know....Ms. Norma ain't going anywhere. But Bob can dream a 'lil with it not costing any thing outta da purse...right?

Bob

Edit: for some reason...I sure like that line  "why waste time...look'in at the waist line"    8)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:54:33 PM by Chicago Bob »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #443 on: March 17, 2013, 01:54:55 PM »
I weighed the HRI frozen cheese pizza before the bake and it weighed 226 grams before the bake.  The HRI frozen cheese pizza was baked at about 410 degrees for 23 minutes on my middle rack.  The HRI pizza weighed 209 grams right out of the oven after the bake.  The rim crust was a little brown, but the bottom crust didnít have much of any color at all.

I thought the HRI frozen cheese pizza was good for a frozen pizza.  The sauce was tasty, but didnít have much of any sweetness in my opinion.  I also didnít taste any spices in the sauce.  The cheese also tasted good to me and the crunchiness of the crust was good in my opinion.  I thought there was enough sauce on the HRI frozen cheese pizza.  There wasnít a lot of layers in the crust after the bake, but there were a little at some places.  The unbaked HRI cheese pizza did looked like it had a few docked places on the rim. 

I would try another attempt at an HRI pizza in my deck oven at market, but think my bake temperatures might be too high.

Thanks Garvey and Bob for posting how to bake a frozen HRI pizza.  I donít know if my HRI frozen pizza looked like yours or not after the bake.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #444 on: March 17, 2013, 01:57:04 PM »
Norma
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:34:07 PM by Steve »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #445 on: March 17, 2013, 03:29:09 PM »
Norma.
I recommended Garvy's 410 degree bake procedure because he seemed to have doubt's/suspicions that perhaps I was not baking the HRI frozen pizza properly...therefore I acknowledged his more recent experiences with this pie and accordingly passed on his tip .
Your fist HRI frozen has some serious gum issues and other things going on also...you know how to read a baked pizza better than I Norma so there's no real reason/benefit to hashing out results of a frozen pizza that lacks any real comparable flavor or texture to it's supposed homage. You wanted to try one in hopes of getting a feel for the approximation of an original for your cloning purposes. Unfortunately the HRI frozen pizza's seem to be a big drag.
Garvey say's he eats one about every week...maybe he has a different oven or set up than ours(and a different recipe pie too in order to surpass the blandness) Maybe he doctor's it up...

Anyway......your last homemade attempt was solid Norma and with Peter's suggestions and the info I have also gleaned from that last home trial of yours....I am confident that all of use will crack this nut sooner than later.... ;)

Both members Garvey and CDNpielover have been giving helpful feedback on this resurrected thread, those guys know how to make good pizza's and it is my hopes that perhaps they can find the time to make a trial pizza from the current recipe's that are now currently being posted..the more objectives the better right folks.  ;)

My next one will be posted up this Wed.   Good luck everyone.....

Bob

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 03:34:58 PM by Chicago Bob »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #446 on: March 17, 2013, 04:49:30 PM »
Bob,

I really couldnít be sure of the temperature I baked the HRI frozen cheese pizza at.  My oven thermostat knob really isnít right because the oven is over 30 years old.  I tried to take the temperature of my oven with my IR gun, but that isnít always accurate without a pizza stone in my oven.  I know you have a gas oven and really donít recall what kind of oven Garvey has, but do know that different ovens baked differently even if set at the same temperatures.  Some parts of the frozen HRI pizza did have some gum issues, but I donít think that seriously affected the pizza. The link Peter posted before at http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2011/08/chicago-essential-home-run-inn.html showed that one slice had gum issues too.  I know the texture really wasnít right though if compared to a fresh HRI pizza.  I think CDMpieloverís ultrathin slice texture shot at Reply 334 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg242747.html#msg242747 was a lot better than what mine regular frozen crust looked like after the bake.  At least the layers could be seen in his slice photo.  I do have a frozen small HRI ultra-thin pizza to try at some point.  I wonder if Peter could explain what his crusts slice looked like from his frozen HRI pizzas, even if he did defrost and take them apart and put them back together again before the bake. 

I hope Garvey, CDNpielover, mrmojo1, loowaters and anyone else that wants to gives the HRI pizza a try will to see what kind of results they would get.  Since I never had a real fresh HRI pizza right out of the deck oven or their conveyor ovens, I probably am not the best judge of what they should taste like. 

Good luck with your next attempt!  ;)

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #447 on: March 17, 2013, 05:10:16 PM »
Peter said he saw the same type of flakiness that Garvey had reported on.  :-\

I know this doesn't win me any awards....but I'm calling BS on this whole "layers" of, and or "flakiness". ....Put up a pic and show me man.....a pic of the "original" style.....that is what we are discussing here....post it up ...

Bob

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #448 on: March 17, 2013, 05:17:26 PM »
Peter said he saw the same type of flakiness that Garvey had reported on.  :-\
Bob

Bob,

Thanks for posting what Peter said.  I must have missed that while scanning though this thread.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #449 on: March 17, 2013, 05:26:33 PM »
Bob,

Thanks for posting what Peter said.  I must have missed that while scanning though this thread.

Norma
I hear you woman....that is the best time for me to miss something too.  Just when I think my glasses are cleaned real good and I am feeling like I could maybe even speed read the whole world.....up pops a mis quote or something....  :D
Dang it!!  :(

pizzapan