Author Topic: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation  (Read 77769 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation
« Reply #440 on: March 17, 2013, 11:49:52 AM »

Does anyone have any other questions they want me to ask of Home Run Inn?

Norma
Yes Norma I do....ask them how you are supposed to interpret their broken, and incorrect use of English in their response to your polite e-mail inquire.  Good luck.... ::)

"The directions on the box assuming the oven is calibrated accurately. Create pizza very close the conveyor cooked pizza. Good luck. And let me know how it goes."
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #441 on: March 17, 2013, 12:14:35 PM »
Yes Norma I do....ask them how you are supposed to interpret their broken, and incorrect use of English in their response to your polite e-mail inquire.  Good luck.... ::)

"The directions on the box assuming the oven is calibrated accurately. Create pizza very close the conveyor cooked pizza. Good luck. And let me know how it goes."

Bob,

You know I won't ask HRI that question.  At least they answered me and are interested in hearing how the bake goes.

I think I will use Garvey's and your instructions though.  I know you both know what to do to bake a HRI frozen pizza.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #442 on: March 17, 2013, 12:49:57 PM »
Bob,

You know I won't ask HRI that question.

Norma
The sweetest lady on the internet...I still think "Pizza Brain" would do themselves a humongous favor if they hired Norma to handle front end....I know,I know....Ms. Norma ain't going anywhere. But Bob can dream a 'lil with it not costing any thing outta da purse...right?

Bob

Contours .. First I look at the purse .. Nicholas brothers.

Edit: for some reason...I sure like that line  "why waste time...look'in at the waist line"    8)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:54:33 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #443 on: March 17, 2013, 01:54:55 PM »
I weighed the HRI frozen cheese pizza before the bake and it weighed 226 grams before the bake.  The HRI frozen cheese pizza was baked at about 410 degrees for 23 minutes on my middle rack.  The HRI pizza weighed 209 grams right out of the oven after the bake.  The rim crust was a little brown, but the bottom crust didnít have much of any color at all.

I thought the HRI frozen cheese pizza was good for a frozen pizza.  The sauce was tasty, but didnít have much of any sweetness in my opinion.  I also didnít taste any spices in the sauce.  The cheese also tasted good to me and the crunchiness of the crust was good in my opinion.  I thought there was enough sauce on the HRI frozen cheese pizza.  There wasnít a lot of layers in the crust after the bake, but there were a little at some places.  The unbaked HRI cheese pizza did looked like it had a few docked places on the rim. 

I would try another attempt at an HRI pizza in my deck oven at market, but think my bake temperatures might be too high.

Thanks Garvey and Bob for posting how to bake a frozen HRI pizza.  I donít know if my HRI frozen pizza looked like yours or not after the bake.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #444 on: March 17, 2013, 01:57:04 PM »
Norma
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:34:07 PM by Steve »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #445 on: March 17, 2013, 03:29:09 PM »
Norma.
I recommended Garvy's 410 degree bake procedure because he seemed to have doubt's/suspicions that perhaps I was not baking the HRI frozen pizza properly...therefore I acknowledged his more recent experiences with this pie and accordingly passed on his tip .
Your fist HRI frozen has some serious gum issues and other things going on also...you know how to read a baked pizza better than I Norma so there's no real reason/benefit to hashing out results of a frozen pizza that lacks any real comparable flavor or texture to it's supposed homage. You wanted to try one in hopes of getting a feel for the approximation of an original for your cloning purposes. Unfortunately the HRI frozen pizza's seem to be a big drag.
Garvey say's he eats one about every week...maybe he has a different oven or set up than ours(and a different recipe pie too in order to surpass the blandness) Maybe he doctor's it up...

Anyway......your last homemade attempt was solid Norma and with Peter's suggestions and the info I have also gleaned from that last home trial of yours....I am confident that all of use will crack this nut sooner than later.... ;)

Both members Garvey and CDNpielover have been giving helpful feedback on this resurrected thread, those guys know how to make good pizza's and it is my hopes that perhaps they can find the time to make a trial pizza from the current recipe's that are now currently being posted..the more objectives the better right folks.  ;)

My next one will be posted up this Wed.   Good luck everyone.....

Bob

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 03:34:58 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #446 on: March 17, 2013, 04:49:30 PM »
Bob,

I really couldnít be sure of the temperature I baked the HRI frozen cheese pizza at.  My oven thermostat knob really isnít right because the oven is over 30 years old.  I tried to take the temperature of my oven with my IR gun, but that isnít always accurate without a pizza stone in my oven.  I know you have a gas oven and really donít recall what kind of oven Garvey has, but do know that different ovens baked differently even if set at the same temperatures.  Some parts of the frozen HRI pizza did have some gum issues, but I donít think that seriously affected the pizza. The link Peter posted before at http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2011/08/chicago-essential-home-run-inn.html showed that one slice had gum issues too.  I know the texture really wasnít right though if compared to a fresh HRI pizza.  I think CDMpieloverís ultrathin slice texture shot at Reply 334 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg242747.html#msg242747 was a lot better than what mine regular frozen crust looked like after the bake.  At least the layers could be seen in his slice photo.  I do have a frozen small HRI ultra-thin pizza to try at some point.  I wonder if Peter could explain what his crusts slice looked like from his frozen HRI pizzas, even if he did defrost and take them apart and put them back together again before the bake. 

I hope Garvey, CDNpielover, mrmojo1, loowaters and anyone else that wants to gives the HRI pizza a try will to see what kind of results they would get.  Since I never had a real fresh HRI pizza right out of the deck oven or their conveyor ovens, I probably am not the best judge of what they should taste like. 

Good luck with your next attempt!  ;)

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #447 on: March 17, 2013, 05:10:16 PM »
Peter said he saw the same type of flakiness that Garvey had reported on.  :-\

I know this doesn't win me any awards....but I'm calling BS on this whole "layers" of, and or "flakiness". ....Put up a pic and show me man.....a pic of the "original" style.....that is what we are discussing here....post it up ...

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #448 on: March 17, 2013, 05:17:26 PM »
Peter said he saw the same type of flakiness that Garvey had reported on.  :-\
Bob

Bob,

Thanks for posting what Peter said.  I must have missed that while scanning though this thread.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #449 on: March 17, 2013, 05:26:33 PM »
Bob,

Thanks for posting what Peter said.  I must have missed that while scanning though this thread.

Norma
I hear you woman....that is the best time for me to miss something too.  Just when I think my glasses are cleaned real good and I am feeling like I could maybe even speed read the whole world.....up pops a mis quote or something....  :D
Dang it!!  :(

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #450 on: March 17, 2013, 06:55:38 PM »
bob and norma, i think this thread is great and i do want to try my hand at Norma's new dough.  I won't be able to try it for about a month though because i'm leaving this week for a remote field station in the Panamaian jungle (haha)!  Hopefully it's not too hot here in Tucson when I get back, because I don't like using the oven when i've got the A/C on.   :chef:  I know Garvey has tried Loo's earlier HRI clone, I'd be interested to hear his comments on Norma's newer formula.   :pizza:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #451 on: March 17, 2013, 07:34:32 PM »
bob and norma, i think this thread is great and i do want to try my hand at Norma's new dough.  I won't be able to try it for about a month though because i'm leaving this week for a remote field station in the Panamaian jungle (haha)!  Hopefully it's not too hot here in Tucson when I get back, because I don't like using the oven when i've got the A/C on.   :chef:  I know Garvey has tried Loo's earlier HRI clone, I'd be interested to hear his comments on Norma's newer formula.   :pizza:
CDN,
Wow!  :o Your job sounds so interesting that it allows you such traveling. It may be that you are used to these changes....but to us it seems exciting. Especially in a damn "jungle" man.  8)
I think your weather in Tucson will still be mild enough one month from now...but who the hell cares dude, just make sure you return home safely!
You are a long standing knowledgeable member here and your posts helped me decide to join up here...for real sir...be safe in your journeys.

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #452 on: March 17, 2013, 07:39:32 PM »

CDNpielover,

Sounds interesting that you are going to the Panamanian jungle.  Have fun! 

What I tried so far is not really Normaís formula.  Peter made the suggestions on what to try from all of his research and what he has learned about reverse engineering and cloning since this thread was started by Loo.   It should be Peterís newer formula.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #453 on: March 17, 2013, 08:05:45 PM »
Peter did comment on Norma's formula.... but believe me....anything goes during the development of this baby over the course of the next 30 days......Bob is excited, and make no mistake...Sir Peter is always the glue in this sort of fun trials experimenting with what one can do with just a few ingredients! That guy...there just never is a befitting word to describe his awesomeness...... 8)   Such a giver, man....

Bob

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #454 on: March 17, 2013, 10:39:50 PM »
I know this doesn't win me any awards....but I'm calling BS on this whole "layers" of, and or "flakiness". ....Put up a pic and show me man.....a pic of the "original" style.....that is what we are discussing here....post it up ...

It wins you an award for being wrong.   :-D

Maybe CDNpielover has pix from his recent pie.  Mine's digesting now.  I don't make it a habit to photograph every meal.  Sorry.  8)

I've baked 50-75 HRIs per year for the last eight years or so.  FWIW, Norma, it looks like the crust on your frozen pie was way underdone, as you surmised.  The bottom should be golden brown.  In my gas oven, I go for a really long bake.  I'll even sometimes drop the temp down to 375 to go an extra five minutes to let the crust finish without scorching the top.  Lower in the oven should help, too.  Bare rack, right?

Crispy, crunchity, yeasty, flaky Home Run Inn.  It is like no other pie.

And it's gotta be sausage.  I know to said you couldn't find any, Norma, so I get that.  But what I don't get is your characterization, Bob, of it being nasty.  It is probably the best sausage available on a frozen pizza.  I know that bar is pretty low, but I'd call it pretty good.  And they load it on there.  FWIW, what they have managed to do with a par baked, frozen pizza made widely available...it's pretty damn impressive.

But there's no accounting for taste.  So to the folks who dislike it, it's cool.  I ain't no shill.  For me and my house, I have three options for pizza available in my entire 1.5M person, 14-county metro area.  Make it myself, drive across town to the only edible place in existence, or make a frozen HRI.

And whoever asked about Reggios: the local Aldi carries it from time to time, and we've had a bunch.  It is similar to HRI but a lot drier crust and overall quality just isn't as good.

I doubt any of this feedback helps anybody with anything.  Sorry.

Garvey

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #455 on: March 17, 2013, 11:07:43 PM »
Garvey,

Yes, I did think my bottom crust was way underdone, but then the top of the pizza looked baked enough on the cheese.  I thought the bottom crust should have been golden brown from the photo referenced by Peter on Slice.  I might take my next HRI frozen pizza to my motherís gas oven for the next bake.  I know her gas oven is a lot newer than my home oven and when her knob is set it is the right temperature.  My mother has liked all the recent attempts I have made at a HRI pizza, but she is anxious to try one of the HRI frozen pizzas.  Thanks for telling me you even sometimes drop the temperature down to 375 degrees F to go an extra five minutes to let the crust finish without scorching the top.  I could also try a lower rack position.  I did bake on the bare rack.  I wanted to ask you if you ever bake those small HRI frozen pizza like I did, or are the ones you bake the larger sizes?  Like I posted I wish I could have found the frozen HRI sausage pizza, but that wasnít in the cards. 

What do you or anyone else think about if I try another HRI attempt in my deck oven at market.  Do you know Garvey what temperatures they used years ago in HRI deck ovens.  I think I messed up different things in my last attempt and think Peter got me straightened out what to try next.  I could make a HRI dough tomorrow morning and let it cold ferment until Tuesday.  My deck oven runs at about 538 degrees F on the bottom deck and a little lower on the top deck.

Your feedback helps me a lot.  ;D  Thanks!

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #456 on: March 18, 2013, 12:36:41 AM »
It wins you an award for being wrong.   :-D

Ok then....show me. Like you said recently to me...pic or it didn't happen. Not asking you to "make it a habit to photograph every meal"....I started in on this thread only with the intention of trying to help. I believe that I do sort of know what I am doing when it comes to Chicago and Midwest styles of pizza's. That is why I am attempting to contribute something positive...it is apparent that Norma and Peter, thankfully, are wanting to explore the possibility of creating/clone a modern day HRI pizza.

Garvey, with all due respect sir...and I mean this with utmost sincerity(you know your way around a pizza kitchen no doubt).....please take a look back at your last 5 or 6 posts on this thread. Loo Waters is an accomplished pizza maker(just as you truly are)and he is also a very sweet, helpful man. I have never seen him say anything negative about another's work without being at the ready with (what he believes) may be helpful tips/guidance.

You appear to be "the guy in the know" about HRI on the forum here considering how often you are, lucky dog, able to enjoy their pizza's and make knowledgeable observations. Please help us out here Garvey...add some more inspiration if you can and let's get this nut cracked...I enjoy working with you man. 8)

Bob

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #457 on: March 18, 2013, 12:58:45 AM »
Hey Garvey, I know I told you I was going to take photos of my frozen HRI, but of course when the time came I just wanted to eat the damn thing.   :-D  I can confirm however that there are distinct pockets/layers.  I was even able to peel them apart, and noticed that they would even go up and around the rim of the pie (as you get if parallel layers get folded up into a rim).  I almost want to take photos now, just to show Bob! 

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #458 on: March 18, 2013, 01:01:30 AM »
Hey Bob, I'm not sure if you've seen these photos, but Garvey did post some really nice shots of the layers here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg242747.html#msg242747

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #459 on: March 18, 2013, 01:55:28 AM »
Hey Bob, I'm not sure if you've seen these photos, but Garvey did post some really nice shots of the layers here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg242747.html#msg242747
I know he did CDN, and in your defense of him, read all of the post I made that has triggered you to put up the links....I stated " let's see picks of an original"  the type of pie we are talking/trying to clone.  The pics and the link are of a HRI "Ultra thin"...Garvey stated that if I'm not getting those results then I am baking it wrong.  I believe the HRI "ultras" bake up differently in our home ovens as compared to the 'ol HRI standby...regular crust. At any rate I think they all are a waste of time and I don't care how you devise a custom way to cook it...it is a bland pizza. And that is sad because they actually put a good amount of sauce on those frozen pie's.

Check this out CDN....and Garvey too......you guys win and I am a looser. Ya'll know more about pizza making than me. You all win OK?
Now go back through the posts and please point out one single time that I ever took an "offensive" or "negative"position.
If you are not part of the solution...you are part of the problem(as they say). I want to have fun and enjoy my time here on this great forum. Let's all be nice to each other and if one has an opposing view...great...but at least qualify it with accuracy.
That's all I have to say about all of that..and if anyone tries to get back at me about this post I will not respond.
All of us on this tread make good pizza's man...let's champion together and see how fast we can come up with an even better HRI pizza. I really think that is not an unreachable goal....nope, not at all.

Bob