Author Topic: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation  (Read 96611 times)

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
Re: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation
« Reply #800 on: May 24, 2013, 08:38:13 PM »
Yowza, Chau, that 64% jobbie looks just like HRI!  Obviously looks aren't the same as taste, but that is, by far, the closest thing posted here in terms of how it appears.  The flakiness, the hard brown bottom shell, the gum line where the dough meets the sauce. 

Nice work!

Was it yeasty?  How'd it eat?

Garvey

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #801 on: May 24, 2013, 10:02:37 PM »
Thanks Garvey.  It was not "yeasty" but I used IDY and not CY.  For that yeasty flavor, I've only ever noticed it with 2% CY.  It ate very well.  I really enjoyed it.  I ate almost an entire 9.5" pie myself and was stuffed!  It was very easy to eat.  I will definitely be making it again.  Thanks again for describing the crust in detail for me.  It was really helpful.

Chau
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 10:04:56 PM by Jackie Tran »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #802 on: May 24, 2013, 10:13:42 PM »
Thanks Garvey.  It was not "yeasty" but I used IDY and not CY.  For that yeasty flavor, I've only ever noticed it with 2% CY.  It ate very well.  I really enjoyed it.  I ate almost an entire 9.5" pie myself and was stuffed!  It was very easy to eat.  I will definitely be making it again.  Thanks again for describing the crust in detail for me.  It was really helpful.

Chau
Chau,
Can we have your recipe for the HRI pizzas you made?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #803 on: May 24, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »
Chau,
Can we have your recipe for the HRI pizzas you made?

Of course Bobby.  I do want to thank you for your descriptions of the crust to me as well and your sauce recipe.  I spent a lot of time reading what everyone tried and their thoughts on the crust that it has all gelled into one big cheesy mass in my head.  I have recently used that sauce recipe for a NY pie and it was great.  Here is the recipe I used.  Just keep in mind though that I'm at high elevations (5000 ft) and in an arid climate.  I am estimating that my 64% hydration will be closer to 60% for those at sea level or in high humidity climates.  So experiment with the hydration a bit and see what you like.  Start with 60% as that will be close to my 64% dough and up it if you like.

Chau
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 01:37:59 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #804 on: May 24, 2013, 11:08:25 PM »
Here is the recipe I use.  I used 340gm of dough and rolled it out to 10.5".  After forming the rim, the pizza was closer to 9.5".  I actually started out with about 350gm and rolled it out to about 11".  I inverted a plate and used a butter knife to cut off the edges so that I would have a perfectly round circle.  The crust was a little thicker than 1/8" thick.  You can use the calculators on the home page to make enough dough for 2-3 pies.

100% AP flour
35%   Water
25%   butter flavor shortening
1%     ADY, IDY, or CY.  For a yeasty flavor, try 2% CY
2%     salt
1%     sugar (optional, added for crust browning)

Method: Measure flour out and mix yeast into the dry flour.   Next add your shortening and using a fork or pastry cutter, cut shortening into flour to resemble coarse crumbles.  The coarser the crumbles, the flakier the crust will be.   Dissolve salt and sugar into the water and sprinkle all the water over the crumbles.  By hand, squeeze the water into mixture to make a dough.  Do not over mix.  Less is more here.  Now weigh the dough out and wrap it in plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for an hour before going into cold ferment.   You can use this dough right away as an emergency dough or cold ferment it for 24-48 hours.   It would probably last longer I don't know. 

Pull the dough out at least 2-3 hours before baking.  Preheat oven to it's max temp. an hour before baking.

Treat this dough as if you are working with pie crust dough.  Let the dough come to room temps before rolling out.  You can even warm it up a bit to making rolling out easier.  Roll out between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. 

For pie crust or this type of crust I use a pie crust bag to roll it out.  It makes it so easy...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CFTQT/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Roll it out to desired thickness, a tad thicker than an 1/8".  Use an inverted plate and a butter knife to cut off the excess dough.  Transfer the dough onto a sheet of parchment paper and dock the dough.  Use a fork to dock the dough if you don't have a docker.  Now cover the dough and let it rise for about 45m to an hour.  Experiment with this rise time.  I did a warm rise of about 30m but felt like it could have use a longer rise time. 

Forming the Rim - Form the rim right before assembling the pie.  Tuck the edge of the dough under itself and then bend up the thickened edge to form the rim.  To form the rim, you want to pinch the upright edge while pressing down to form a base.  You are forming a triangular pyramid of sorts.  Look at the photo below for an example.  Next, take your the pad of your index finger and lightly press the the base on the inside of the rim.  Rotate and crust as you do this all the way around the rim.  This will help the rim stay upright and less likely to bow outwards as it bakes.  See pic below for an example of this. 

Now sauce the pie, then sausage, and then cheese.  Or use whatever toppings you want. 

Baking - I would have used a cutter pan if I had one but since I don't, I used parchment paper to facilitate transfer of the pie into the oven.  I played around with trying to slide just the empty pie shell on my peel without parchment paper and it didn't budge at all.  Keep the pie on the parchment paper and slide it onto your pizza peel.  The parchment paper will allow you to not have to use any bench flour giving you a cleaner taste and making transfer a cinch.  Slide the pie onto a hot stone.  For this particular bake, I turned the broiler on before saucing and topping the pie to increase the stone's temp.   I took a temp reading before loading and it read about 550F.  My oven maxes out at 525F.  Once loaded, I turned off the broiler and continued baking at 525F. 
The parchment paper was removed after 5 minutes of baking and the pie baked directly on the stone for the remainder of the bake.  I baked 2 pies,  one at 14 minutes and the other at 15 minutes until golden brown.

Allow the pie to cool on a cookie rack to keep the crust crispy.  Cut into squares and serve.   

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #805 on: May 24, 2013, 11:25:42 PM »
On this particular pie, I formed the rim by turning the edge up and folding it into itself instead of tucking it under first as I suggested.  After seeing this picture here that Peter posted,

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg235582.html#msg235582

I realized the the rim should be formed by folding the edge under and not over first.  This should help the edge hold itself up right better during baking when the dough expands I think.  By looking at this photo, I do realize that their dough looks to be higher hydrated than the dough I used and lighter in color as well.  I will experiment with a slightly higher hydration dough next time. 

Chau
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:57:59 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #806 on: August 07, 2013, 01:47:45 PM »
I really hope this clone tastes better than Home Run Inn's frozen pizza because I think they taste horrible.  Always grab a sample slice at the grocery store and find myself choking it down.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline BTB

« Reply #807 on: August 17, 2013, 10:19:50 AM »
I am an old fan of the original Home Run Inn "thick-thin" crust pizza.  But I'm not a big fan of their commercial store bought frozen pizzas that in my estimation does not taste similar to those at their original pizzeria.  My wife and I were in the western Chicago suburbs the other day and while on our way back to our Michigan summer home, I stopped at the HRI Darien restaurant for a par baked 14" sausage pizza for our freezer back home.  Such is very different from those in the grocery store boxes.                    --BTB

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #808 on: August 17, 2013, 10:25:56 AM »
I am an old fan of the original Home Run Inn "thick-thin" crust pizza.  But I'm not a big fan of their commercial store bought frozen pizzas that in my estimation does not taste similar to those at their original pizzeria.  My wife and I were in the western Chicago suburbs the other day and while on our way back to our Michigan summer home, I stopped at the HRI Darien restaurant for a par baked 14" sausage pizza for our freezer back home.  Such is very different from those in the grocery store boxes.                    --BTB
That looks like it will be a good pizza BTB, I've always had good luck with Chicago area "par-baked" pies. Much different product than "frozen".
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #809 on: August 17, 2013, 03:05:20 PM »
oh yeah! thats gonna be delicious! my family is up at paw paw lake right now btb! wish I could be there!  you done for the season? soneday we have to meet up at silver beach or dimaggios! my treat!

Offline BTB

« Reply #810 on: August 17, 2013, 06:51:04 PM »
oh yeah! thats gonna be delicious! my family is up at paw paw lake right now btb! wish I could be there!  you done for the season? soneday we have to meet up at silver beach or dimaggios! my treat!
Mr. Mojo, two or three weeks ago I had a pizza from DiMaggio's and ordered it extra, extra thin crust and well done.  And it turned out so great that I'm hankering to have another one to see if it was a fluke.  We've been to Silver Beach 3 or 4 times this summer and after a long, long wait for a table, the pizzas we had were stupendous.  Let me know if you ever get to the area in the May to Sept. time frame so we could meet up.       --BTB

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #811 on: August 17, 2013, 07:05:30 PM »
BTB,

I would really be interested after you fully bake your HRI pizza what a crumb shot looks like and also if the crust is flaky.  Great to hear your were able to purchase a par-baked HRI pizza!   ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline pythonic

« Reply #812 on: November 01, 2013, 02:07:06 PM »
Up for something new I have this a whirl.  Went with Chau's 64% hydration.  Results were ok but something's a miss.  Nothing against Chau since he's never had HR Inn before but this dough is very flaky (too flaky IMO, too close to pie dough).  The hydration is off too but it's hard to know which direction to go next since the flakiness was a bit overwhelming.   It needs to be crispier too especially the crust edge which is usually rock hard.  Any ideas?

Offline pythonic

« Reply #813 on: November 01, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »
Another quick observation is the crust texture has gotten better after sitting out for 15 mins.  Does that mean we need to go drier?

Offline Garvey

« Reply #814 on: November 01, 2013, 03:23:33 PM »
Dude, that thing *looks* amazing.  How'd it taste?  Did it have that yeasty HRI flavor?

Another quick observation is the crust texture has gotten better after sitting out for 15 mins.  Does that mean we need to go drier?

Chau noted in his comments that a drier pie may be needed at lower elevations:
This is the 60% hydration pie.  So 60% in my dry elevated climate would probably be closer to 56% at sea level... his crust did have a drier crunchier and flakier mouth feel.  A bit more biscuity with slightly less chew...

I wonder if you cut water and shortening equally to get down to 56%?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 03:32:45 PM by Garvey »

Offline pythonic

« Reply #815 on: November 01, 2013, 03:53:11 PM »
Garvey I only did a 2 hr ferment so it pretty much tasted like pie dough to me.   I may try corn oil instead next attempt.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #816 on: November 01, 2013, 09:40:43 PM »
Well it didn't take long for my next attempt.  I dropped the fat to 20% (this time using both shortening and corn oil).  It is impossible to achieve the kind of layers that HR Inn has with just oil.  I also increased the water a few percent as well.  Will bake this one up in a few hrs.  I'm still full from the one earlier today lol.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 09:42:45 PM by pythonic »

Offline pythonic

« Reply #817 on: November 01, 2013, 11:20:27 PM »
Pay dirt!

Offline Garvey

« Reply #818 on: November 02, 2013, 02:58:40 PM »
I don't know what those triangle-shaped foods are, so let us know when the pizza is up.

;D

Offline pythonic

« Reply #819 on: November 02, 2013, 03:28:51 PM »
I don't know what those triangle-shaped foods are, so let us know when the pizza is up.

;D

Lol this was only a 7in and party cut would have looked weird.

pizzapan