Author Topic: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation  (Read 78550 times)

Offline CDNpielover

Re: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation
« Reply #820 on: November 02, 2013, 04:31:43 PM »
I don't know what those triangle-shaped foods are, so let us know when the pizza is up.

;D

^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #821 on: November 02, 2013, 04:49:09 PM »
^^^ ^^^ ^^^

This pizza was great.  The combination of corn oil and shortening is key.  I will post formulation soon.  I'm still experimenting with bake temps and length to find the sweet spot.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #822 on: November 02, 2013, 07:24:40 PM »
I wonder if you cut water and shortening equally to get down to 56%?

I know nothing about this pizza, and this is the first I've ever even looked at a thread about it, but my guess is that you would leave the shortening percentage alone if shortening is already creating the effect you want. That is, change only the hydration percentage. (If I made no sense, disregard this.)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #823 on: November 03, 2013, 01:22:17 PM »
Some questions came to me overnight (because I ALWAYS think about pizza, even when I'm not conscious).

With this style of pizza, is it characteristic for the rim to remain thin and upright during and after baking (sorta like a PH thin, but with more like a right angle than a cutter pan angle)? That is, compared to Nate's awesome-looking pizza at Reply #812: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg285827.html#msg285827, which has a rim that is thin and upright before baking but becomes more round during baking, like a Papa John's or Domino's-shaped rim.

Also, this place still exists as a pizzeria, right (as opposed to just offering packaged pizzas at grocery stores)? If so, I may have to take a little Chicago trip very soon and add this to my list of destinations that serve pizzas I've never had, which so far only includes Giordano's but could easily grow considerably, since the only Chicago style pizza I've ever had is Malnati's (once) and Uno (from chain stores in Columbus and Vegas) many times.

Also, is this kind of pizza baked directly on stone? I assume it is, since Nate appears to have baked directly on stone.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #824 on: November 04, 2013, 11:53:14 AM »
My best yet. 

Party cut just for Garvey :)

Dough Formulation:

100% AP flour
20% fat (50% corn oil/50% shortening)
35% water
1% IDY
2% Salt
2% Sugar

Procedure:

Add yeast to flour.  Stir.  Add oil and stir with spoon.  Add shortening and cut in (I use my hands).  You want it to be course.  Dissolve salt and sugar in water (Around 90F).  Add water to flour mixture and squeeze with hands until it becomes a ball.  Do not over mix.  Let rest at room temp for 1 hour then move to fridge for 24-48hrs. 

When ready to bake remove 2hrs before.  Roll dough out to 1/4 inch and parbake at 450 degrees for 4 mins on preheated stone.  Add toppings and bake for another 13 mins.

Note:  crust tastes best if you let the pizza sit for 8-10 mins out of oven.

Good luck,

Nate
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:19:26 PM by pythonic »

Offline pythonic

« Reply #825 on: November 04, 2013, 06:24:34 PM »
Some questions came to me overnight (because I ALWAYS think about pizza, even when I'm not conscious).

With this style of pizza, is it characteristic for the rim to remain thin and upright during and after baking (sorta like a PH thin, but with more like a right angle than a cutter pan angle)? That is, compared to Nate's awesome-looking pizza at Reply #812: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg285827.html#msg285827, which has a rim that is thin and upright before baking but becomes more round during baking, like a Papa John's or Domino's-shaped rim.

Also, this place still exists as a pizzeria, right (as opposed to just offering packaged pizzas at grocery stores)? If so, I may have to take a little Chicago trip very soon and add this to my list of destinations that serve pizzas I've never had, which so far only includes Giordano's but could easily grow considerably, since the only Chicago style pizza I've ever had is Malnati's (once) and Uno (from chain stores in Columbus and Vegas) many times.

Also, is this kind of pizza baked directly on stone? I assume it is, since Nate appears to have baked directly on stone.

Ryan,

The outer rim is supposed to be thicker and denser than a Pizza Hut thin crust.

Home Run Inn is a franchise and there are locations in the Chicagoland area.

Not exactly sure on the baking method.  It may be cutter pan on a stone.

To get an idea of what it's supposed to taste like give the frozen home run inn signature style a shot.  It's different than any pizza out there.

Nate
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 06:27:17 PM by pythonic »

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #826 on: November 04, 2013, 08:26:50 PM »
That thing is a beaut!  I can't tell for certain, but did it have the layers and such?  How was the taste?

Offline pythonic

« Reply #827 on: November 04, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »
That thing is a beaut!  I can't tell for certain, but did it have the layers and such?  How was the taste?

Yes and just enough layers.  Tastes awesome.  The shortening by itself is overwhelming and it needed some corn oil to balance it out.

Nate

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #828 on: November 05, 2013, 10:53:45 AM »
Sooo...827 posts from inception, the title of this thread is finally true?

:D

Offline pythonic

« Reply #829 on: November 05, 2013, 12:17:29 PM »
Sooo...827 posts from inception, the title of this thread is finally true?

:D

99% there lol.  I want to play with the hydration just a little more.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #830 on: November 05, 2013, 03:44:13 PM »

Ryan,

Home Run Inn (HRI) is a family owned company, with nine locations. I do not ever recall reading that any of their locations are franchised.

As for how the pizzas are baked in their stores, the original location, going back to the 1940s, used a deck oven. But, with the passage of time, HRI went to conveyor ovens. They also use hot dough presses, both in their stores and in their frozen pizza manufacturing facilities. HRI has consistently said that they use the same recipes to make their frozen pizzas as they use in their stores. I have never had a real HRI pizza from one of their stores, so I relied only on the ingredients statements and Nutrition Facts for their frozen pizzas. I also dissected a few of their frozen pizzas and took a variety of measurements.  On that basis, I can safely say that HRI uses no shortening in their dough, only corn oil. There is also no sugar. See, for example, http://www.homeruninnpizza.com/frozen-pizza/classic/item/classic-cheese. There are also 0 Trans Fats. Most shortenings are hydrogenated in whole or in part and for the most part they have some Trans Fats. Corn oil has no Trans fats.

Of course, in a home setting, anything goes, and if the results are satisfactory, then that is fine even if not technically a clone.

Peter

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #831 on: November 05, 2013, 04:12:50 PM »
Thanks, Peter and Nate. Judging by some pics I've seen, I had considered that maybe they use dough presses (I think), so it's cool to get some good feedback. The concept of 'dough press' rarely even enters my mind (because I tend to equate dough presses with bowling alley snack bars), but I can see how a dough press may be appropriate in this instance.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #832 on: January 30, 2014, 09:48:01 PM »
I saw these photos on HRI facebook page.  The first photo said: "Here's a shot of our original kitchen on 31st street. Quite cozy don't you think?"  Does anyone know if they are pizza pans, or disks under the butcher block table?  I enlarged that photo as large as I could make it and still can not make out what is under the table.

Some of the other photos show the HRI cheese is grated fairly large. 

I still would like to be able to make a flaky crust like some of the photos show.  On the one photo of the slice the crust does not look that flaky to me.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan