Author Topic: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation  (Read 89411 times)

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation
« on: January 18, 2008, 04:56:28 PM »
I'm done with this! :chef:

Thanks to Pete for all his hard work in coming up with information and finding videos that were so helpful. 

100% AP Flour
42 Water
24 Corn Oil
1.75 ADY
1.75 Salt
Thickness Factor = .111

The pictures are a 14" pizza.

287g King Arthur AP Flour
119g Water
69g Corn Oil
5g ADY
5g Salt

Begin by dissolving salt in 110-115* water.  Add ADY and stir it in then let bloom for five minutes.  Add half of the flour and begin to mix.  I did the mixing with the dough hook of my Kitchen Aid mixer.  Once it comes together add the oil and half of the remaining flour (3/4 of all flour now in mixer).  Once that comes together, knead on 3 speed for 5 minutes.  Add remaining flour and mix until combined then knead for 3 additional minutes on 3 speed.  If it seems a little scrappy, add water one teaspoon at a time until it comes together.  This will be a pretty stiff dough.

Place in bowl and cover with a tea towel then let rise in warm oven (light on is good enough for me) for two hours with a pan of hot water on the rack beneath to provide some humidity.  Punch down and let rise again for another two hours.  Remove from oven.

Preheat oven to 475*

Portion dough for same day use but try not to over handle.  Pat out to size then place on a dark perforated disk or some kind of dark pan.  Pinch up the edge to create a rim.  Top skin with 6 3/4 oz. sauce, preferred toppings (I used sweet Italian sausage for the pictured pie), and 10 oz. shredded low moisture part skim mozz.  Cook on middle rack for approximately 10 minutes.

I attempted an overnight, fridge rise with IDY last week and didn't care for the results.  I also tried straight from peel to stone with no luck getting it off the peel.  I've done a lot of NY style and have rarely had peel problems but this was just too much for me.  Peter, the fact that you got it off the peel is another strong point for your consideration to Master Magician status.

I'm done tinkering with this recipe, it turned out delicious but what really sent me over the top was when I reheated the leftovers in the oven.  The smell that overcame my kitchen was the same that I remembered as a little boy when my Grandparents would cook a Home Run Inn pizza in their oven.  It almost brought me to tears fondly remembering those days long ago. :'(  :)

Loo
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 05:02:49 PM by loowaters »
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 08:14:09 PM »
That looks pretty darn awesome!

You know, I made up a batch of your previous HRI dough last week, and it turned out VERY good...the corn oil definately helps get the HRI crust flavor. However...I made one fatal error...let's just say my mind blanked out when thinking about Baker's Percentages. Oops. Nevertheless, the family and I really enjoyed the pizza.

What did you use for your sauce? I know HRI uses a puree-based sauce (read it somewhere long ago).

Once again, nice job...you even got my favorite topping this time!

Offline loowaters

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 09:12:26 PM »
Thanks Bob,

What I did for the sauce was used my hand blender to make puree out of Progresso crushed tomatoes.  I think this is a much better way to make puree than buying it.  I don't do it with whole tomatoes often because they need deseeding but the crushed have most of the seeds removed.  I gotta get some more 6 in 1's.  Sorry, note to self.  Canned puree just never seems really good.  I measured out 11 3/4 oz. by weight of the puree for the two pizzas I was making and added salt, black pepper, and oregano (per the HRI ingredients list).  I have a grinder for my sea salt and my pepper so for that amount of puree I gave the sea salt four grinds, the pepper three grinds and approximately 1 t. of dried oregano. 

These two pies, I also made a 12" pepperoni for my daughter, turned out great!  The 12" got 5 oz. by weight of sauce and 8 oz. of mozz.  I'll be making these many more times.

Loo
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 09:25:52 PM by loowaters »

Offline foodblogger

• Favorite Chain Pizza - Gino's East
    • My Food Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 02:36:42 PM »
I've got to try this pizza this weekend.  I'm always impressed by your posts and results.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 03:53:37 PM »
Okay, now the big question Loo.  Do you prefer your Chicago deep dish or the Home run pizza?

Tough question man we got to know the truth.

Randy

Offline loowaters

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 04:35:53 PM »
Thanks foodblogger.  

How did your Wig and Pen stuffed turn out and did you work out a baker's percent formula for it?

Randy, I'll say that I still prefer both the Gino's clone and Malnati's clone to this. . . but this is a good pie.  :D

Loo

Offline foodblogger

• My Food Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 12:43:32 PM »
Thanks foodblogger. 

How did your Wig and Pen stuffed turn out and did you work out a baker's percent formula for it?

Randy, I'll say that I still prefer both the Gino's clone and Malnati's clone to this. . . but this is a good pie.  :D

Loo

Hey,
I haven't really worked on the Wig and Pen lately.  I just ate there a couple months ago and I think I have the recipe down pretty well.  I'm moving back to Iowa in a few months (Des Moines) so I'll only be 1 hour away from it!

I made your Home Run Inn recipe this weekend.  It was AWESOME.  It is especially good cold.  I just love a slice of cold pizza for breakfast.  I guess its a habit I picked up during my college years.  I made a pepperoni and a sausage, onion, green pepper and mushroom.  I tried 1 on the pizza stone directly and one in a perforated pan.  Both my wife and I liked the texture of the perforated pan crust better.  I posted a couple pictures on my blog.  I can't figure out how to do it here.
http://damngoodfood.blogspot.com/2008/02/2-pizzas.html

Offline loowaters

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 09:16:21 AM »
Your pics looked great.  This does make for great cold leftovers and, I think I mentioned it above, it reheats really well.  I reheated by throwing the slices on a cookie sheet and into a cold oven and firing it up to 400*.  Once it hits temperature I gave it a couple more minutes and it came out just right.  I have an electric oven so this may not be the way to go with a gas oven but with the element underneath the leftovers crisped up on the bottom nicely and were excellent.

Loo
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:22:02 AM by loowaters »

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 09:42:18 AM »
I was given a toaster oven for a gift a few years ago. It reheats pizza perfect!

Goose
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline loowaters

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 09:50:30 AM »
I usually use my toaster oven for the small reheats for myself but the last couple times I've had too much pie for the toaster oven to handle...but I'm with ya on toaster oven.

Loo

Offline DaveH

• Make some pizza? Let's do it!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 11:26:33 PM »
Made this pizza tonight. Although thin crust isn't my favorite this was very good! Using the dough calculator (the percentages that began this thread) I made a 14" pizza. The dough tasted very similar to a deep dish and was quite good. I would definitely reccomend this dough.

Offline loowaters

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 08:57:12 PM »
OK, is it ever really finished?

I'm upping my TF on this to .125 so I have a little more to build up a crust ring.  Also, I'm going to start adding a little water to the sauce to thin it out in hopes of preventing the crust from crisping all the way through.  How much?  I'm not sure yet.

Loo

Offline foodblogger

• My Food Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 10:24:52 AM »
Ha!  I knew you would keep tweaking.  I can't count the number of changes I've made to my Gino's clone but I'm sure there are many more to come.  In another five years I'll probably have to re-release a video.

OK, is it ever really finished?

I'm upping my TF on this to .125 so I have a little more to build up a crust ring.  Also, I'm going to start adding a little water to the sauce to thin it out in hopes of preventing the crust from crisping all the way through.  How much?  I'm not sure yet.

Loo

Offline loowaters

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 09:55:18 AM »
OK, here's what I did to thin the sauce out.  I made a 12" the other day and measured out 5 1/4 oz. of puree'd Great Value Crushed Tomatoes seasoned with salt and pepper.  I added 1 1/2 T of water to this and it helped. Remember, we're trying to prevent the crust from getting crisp all the way through.  Next time I'm going to add 2 T of water and see if that'll do it.  I think that should be enough because I was right there with 1 1/2 T but a touch more should be right on.  One other note, I also applied the sauce cold in hopes that this will help produce the desired effect.  I sprinkled the oregano on the sauce after covering the skin with the sauce.

I'm also thinking about cooking this on the next rack up in the oven (my top rack).  A quicker browning of the cheese, of course, and maybe not such a thorough baking of the crust will result...this could also be the worst idea I've ever had but what the heck.  I'll let you know how that turns out when I do it.

Loo

Offline IlliniPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 07:18:38 PM »
This may have already been answered, but did anyone use smoked mozzarella on the HRI pizza.  Their cheese is very distinct with a smoky flavor.  In my mind that is what sets them apart from other pizzas.

Thanks

Offline loowaters

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 10:53:44 AM »
This may have already been answered, but did anyone use smoked mozzarella on the HRI pizza.  Their cheese is very distinct with a smoky flavor.  In my mind that is what sets them apart from other pizzas.

Thanks

Haven't tried it but in Peter's research he found they use a blend of mozzerella cheeses so it's possible that a smoked mozz is one of them.

Loo

Offline gns67

• When in Austin, TX try Mangia Chicago style pizza
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 04:11:12 PM »
Haven't tried it but in Peter's research he found they use a blend of mozzerella cheeses so it's possible that a smoked mozz is one of them.

Loo

Hi Loo,
Is there a posting or any speculation on what this blend may be?

Thanks,
George

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 05:31:45 PM »
George, 

Loo may have some input from having eaten his share of HRI pizzas and may want to respond, but the information about the use of a blend of mozzarella cheeses originally came from the article referenced at the Gayot.com link at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6009.msg51590.html#msg51590. The use of a blend of three mozzarella cheeses for the HRI frozen pizzas was confirmed by an HRI employee, as discussed at Reply 7. I suppose it's possible that the cheeses HRI uses for the pizzas in their stores are different from what they use on their frozen pizzas, but everything that I found about the pizzas from my research suggested that the company tries to make their frozen pizzas as close as possible to the pizzas they make in their stores. The information provided at the HRI website on their frozen pizzas does not mention smoked mozzarella cheese. Since labelling laws don't require that distinction, there would be no need or purpose in disclosing that they use smoked mozzarella cheese. No doubt Leprino makes several forms of mozzarella cheese, so a possible combination might include low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese, low-moisture whole-milk mozzarella cheese, and smoked mozzarella cheese. Combinations of the part-skim and whole-milk mozzarella cheeses are very common in the pizza industry, so adding smoked mozzarella cheese to that combination would not be a big leap.

Peter

Offline gns67

• When in Austin, TX try Mangia Chicago style pizza
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 04:22:34 AM »
George, 

Loo may have some input from having eaten his share of HRI pizzas and may want to respond, but the information about the use of a blend of mozzarella cheeses originally came from the article referenced at the Gayot.com link at Reply 6 at. The use of a blend of three mozzarella cheeses for the HRI frozen pizzas was confirmed by an HRI employee, as discussed at Reply 7. I suppose it's possible that the cheeses HRI uses for the pizzas in their stores are different from what they use on their frozen pizzas, but everything that I found about the pizzas from my research suggested that the company tries to make their frozen pizzas as close as possible to the pizzas they make in their stores. The information provided at the HRI website on their frozen pizzas does not mention smoked mozzarella cheese. Since labelling laws don't require that distinction, there would be no need or purpose in disclosing that they use smoked mozzarella cheese. No doubt Leprino makes several forms of mozzarella cheese, so a possible combination might include low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese, low-moisture whole-milk mozzarella cheese, and smoked mozzarella cheese. Combinations of the part-skim and whole-milk mozzarella cheeses are very common in the pizza industry, so adding smoked mozzarella cheese to that combination would not be a big leap.

Peter

Wow, thanks Peter.  That's a lot to take in.  This forum is amazing.  You know, I grew up in the Chicagoland area and ate a ton of pizza.  But had I known just how big the whole thing was I would have paid a lot more attention.  

Offline loowaters

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 07:02:50 AM »
Welcome to the forum, George.  You'll see that Peter is a superstar around here on multiple fronts and his help in putting together this clone was nothing short of stellar.  And we should also acknowledge his excellent new avatar!  ;D

I haven't tried to come up with a mix of mozzarella cheeses for this yet as I usually have only one type of mozz on hand at a time.  One way to try to cheat this mix and get that smokey flavor would be to try to blend in some provalone and see how that works as far as replicating HRI's blend.  Tinkering and making it your own is what makes this so great. 

Loo