Author Topic: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation  (Read 92157 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2009, 12:33:16 PM »
Loo,
Thanks but Only if that seat in front includes a mail order Malnatis so I can sample the real deal  ;D
If not I will hang back and try a few more Any other suggestions from your recipe book?
I do volunteer to keep on trying.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline BTB

« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2009, 01:10:46 PM »
Baked at 450 on middle rack for around 10 min. 

Do I understand you correctly . . . you par baked the crust, afterwards dressed it with all the toppings and then put it straight onto the oven rack in the middle of the oven?  Not back into the pan?  That's what seems to appear from your one picture.   ??? --BTB

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2009, 01:23:24 PM »
No just  par bake for only 2 min place toppings see pic. #03653 dreesed in the pan, then back in oven never out of the pan I may have placed pan on the brick at some point (I had a lot going on,plus the giants game, plus the wine) removed from pan only to cut What you are seeing is the finished pizza on the cooling rack (for cookies) I use to prevent the moisture from softening the crust
Jc
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 03:44:45 PM by JConk007 »

Offline BTB

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2009, 01:46:13 PM »
Ok, gotcha.  Still a beautiful looking pizza.    :D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2009, 01:50:46 PM »
John,

Since Loo did not talk about pre-baking the crust, was there a reason why you did so?

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2009, 02:13:43 PM »
Peter,
I think just because it was information overload.The other pizza I will post tonight did call for par bake and the cracker called for par bake and someone at some time mentioned " make sure you par bake" so I think it must have stuck in my head? Only 2  min but and dough was still quite raw I understand your question why didn't I follow the recipe? I am a newbie and guess I just did not trust the crispness of the crust if I did not par bake? Next time I will try no par to build some confidence in my pizza making ability and the wonderful resources available from the members here.
John
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 03:45:40 PM by JConk007 »

Offline bennychuck

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2009, 03:37:35 PM »
Hello, I'm new to this forum, but an avid pizza aficionado lately.  This may seem like a silly question, but there's part of this recipe that's confusing to me.  There was a little talk about yeast damage per BTB's posts earlier in this thread.  I always thought that yeast needed sugar present in order to "bloom," and most recipes I see call for adding some sugar in the beginning of the process to proof the yeast.  Are you guys adding a tough of sugar to the dissolved water/salt mixture in order to proof the yeast, or is the yeast just meant to feed on the natural sugars in the rest of the ingredients? 

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2009, 08:20:52 PM »
is the yeast just meant to feed on the natural sugars in the rest of the ingredients? 

DING! DING!! DING!!!  You got it.  Some sugar is used in a lot of recipes but isn't present in this one.

Welcome to the board.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2009, 11:10:42 PM »
Hello, I'm new to this forum, but an avid pizza aficionado lately.  This may seem like a silly question, but there's part of this recipe that's confusing to me.  There was a little talk about yeast damage per BTB's posts earlier in this thread.  I always thought that yeast needed sugar present in order to "bloom," and most recipes I see call for adding some sugar in the beginning of the process to proof the yeast.  Are you guys adding a tough of sugar to the dissolved water/salt mixture in order to proof the yeast, or is the yeast just meant to feed on the natural sugars in the rest of the ingredients? 

bennychuck,

Sometimes yeast producers will tell you to add a bit of sugar to the water in which ADY is rehydrated to give the yeast a head start. However, that isn't an absolute necessity. As sugar is released from the starch by the action of enzymes, there will be plenty of sugar to feed the yeast during the fermentation period. As for rehydrating the ADY in water along with salt, my practice is to rehydrate the ADY in water without the salt, even if the salt was first dissolved in the water. Modern yeast species are quite hardy and can better tolerate salt than the older forms of yeasts but I don't take the chance that having the ADY in salted water for about 10 minutes will impair the performance of the yeast.

Peter

Offline bennychuck

« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2009, 04:55:49 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies.  I think I'm going to give this a shot this weekend.  I grew up in the South Bend, IN area, and before I moved west in '04, I used to be able to buy refrigerated (not frozen) HRI take and bake pizzas at the supermarket.  I've since found the frozen ones out this way, but they just aren't quite the same.  With any luck I'll be reproducing one of my favorite crusts in just a couple short days. 

There was another pizza joint in South Bend that I used to frequent quite often called Barnaby's.  It's my understanding that there's also locations around the Chicago area, but also that each location seems to have a slightly different recipe.  The South Bend location(s) are pretty popular amongst Notre Dame fans.  Anyone else familiar with this crust?  Another one of my favorite thin varieties. 

Offline bennychuck

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2009, 01:27:56 PM »
Ok, so I tried this one out yesterday.  I followed the recipe exactly, except, I tried out a thickness factor of .12.  I used a 14" dark round pizza pan.  If I do this again, and I might even do it again today, I would probably par bake this crust for a couple minutes, unless I were using a perforated disk, as was discussed earlier in this thread.  It was still quite tasty though, and we ate the crap out of it.  Anyway, here's some pics:

Offline nikelbee

« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2009, 10:05:28 AM »
Hi everyone

Thank you for the recipes and tips. All your fotos look fantastic. Certainly inspired me to try my own version of HRI. I've made the dough and after the first two hours was pleased to see it had risen. However, it doesn't appear stiff, dry or bitty at all, as the recipes mentions. It is quite the opposite, and while not runny, it certainly is very soft - think play-do consistency. I've put it back in the warm oven for two more hours, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve my dough? I tried the recipe listed on Chowhound, which seems to be the same one on here but with measurements rather than formulas.

That is: 3 cups of flour, 1 of water, 2/3 of corn oil and 1 teaspoon of salt and yeast. I'm a bit inexperienced at making pizzas, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! :D

A hopeful newbie

Offline loowaters

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2009, 10:47:14 AM »
...but does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve my dough? I tried the recipe listed on Chowhound, which seems to be the same one on here but with measurements rather than formulas.

That is: 3 cups of flour, 1 of water, 2/3 of corn oil and 1 teaspoon of salt and yeast. I'm a bit inexperienced at making pizzas, but any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the board. 

Volume measurement are tough to gauge because we don't know how much flour is in those three cups but if it's less than one pound (which I'm guessing it is) your hyrdration is getting up over 50%, and possibly approaching 60%, which will make for a wet dough with all that oil in it as well.  Add some flour until it seems more workable this time and next time back off some of the water.  Get a scale and you'll be set. :chef:

Offline bennychuck

« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2009, 01:49:45 PM »
has anyone tried making this recipe with wheat flour?  that's just what's listed on the hri frozen boxes.  this is an awesome recipe, and i make it all the time, but it does seem like it's missing something in comparison to the actual hri product, and i had noticed the discrepancy in the ingredients.  i've been having some troubles getting this crust to crisp up the way i like it, but i think putting the pan in contact with a pizza stone, or maybe even doing it on parchment paper right on the rack would take care of that.  any thoughts?  tried par-baking the last time for 2-3 minutes, but got similar results to previous attempts. 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2009, 02:05:16 PM »
has anyone tried making this recipe with wheat flour?  that's just what's listed on the hri frozen boxes. 

bennychuck,

The term "wheat flour" is a broad term used to cover just about any flour made from wheat grain. It's a catch-all term used in ingredients lists, in part to conceal the actual form of flour.

Peter

Offline bennychuck

« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2009, 03:19:19 PM »
bennychuck,

The term "wheat flour" is a broad term used to cover just about any flour made from wheat grain. It's a catch-all term used in ingredients lists, in part to conceal the actual form of flour.

Peter

ok, more specifically, whole wheat flour is what i meant here.  not necessarily for all of the flour content, but at least some of it. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 03:21:11 PM by bennychuck »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2009, 04:16:12 PM »
bennychuck,

I researched the Home Run Inn pizza matter with loowaters some time ago, and in the course of the research I spoke with a fellow in the HRI frozen pizza distribution operation who told me that the flour used in both the fresh and frozen HRI pizza doughs was some form of all-purpose flour (see Reply 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6009.msg51647.html#msg51647). If I had to guess, HRI is using a proprietary all-purpose flour formulation that lends itself to machine working when used to make the HRI dough.

Peter

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2009, 12:31:59 AM »
I'm done with this! :chef:

Thanks to Pete for all his hard work in coming up with information and finding videos that were so helpful. 

100% AP Flour
42 Water
24 Corn Oil
1.75 ADY
1.75 Salt
Thickness Factor = .111

The pictures are a 14" pizza.

287g King Arthur AP Flour
119g Water
69g Corn Oil
5g ADY
5g Salt

Begin by dissolving salt in 110-115* water.  Add ADY and stir it in then let bloom for five minutes.  Add half of the flour and begin to mix.  I did the mixing with the dough hook of my Kitchen Aid mixer.  Once it comes together add the oil and half of the remaining flour (3/4 of all flour now in mixer).  Once that comes together, knead on 3 speed for 5 minutes.  Add remaining flour and mix until combined then knead for 3 additional minutes on 3 speed.  If it seems a little scrappy, add water one teaspoon at a time until it comes together.  This will be a pretty stiff dough.

Place in bowl and cover with a tea towel then let rise in warm oven (light on is good enough for me) for two hours with a pan of hot water on the rack beneath to provide some humidity.  Punch down and let rise again for another two hours.  Remove from oven.

Preheat oven to 475*

Portion dough for same day use but try not to over handle.  Pat out to size then place on a dark perforated disk or some kind of dark pan.  Pinch up the edge to create a rim.  Top skin with 6 3/4 oz. sauce, preferred toppings (I used sweet Italian sausage for the pictured pie), and 10 oz. shredded low moisture part skim mozz.  Cook on middle rack for approximately 10 minutes.

I attempted an overnight, fridge rise with IDY last week and didn't care for the results.  I also tried straight from peel to stone with no luck getting it off the peel.  I've done a lot of NY style and have rarely had peel problems but this was just too much for me.  Peter, the fact that you got it off the peel is another strong point for your consideration to Master Magician status.

I'm done tinkering with this recipe, it turned out delicious but what really sent me over the top was when I reheated the leftovers in the oven.  The smell that overcame my kitchen was the same that I remembered as a little boy when my Grandparents would cook a Home Run Inn pizza in their oven.  It almost brought me to tears fondly remembering those days long ago. :'(  :)

Loo

ok i am in awe of this recipe and i cant wait to try it!  A couple questions.  did you put your perforated disc directly on your stone?  if i use a cutter pan do you oil it? would you also recommend putting it on the stone?  no par bake correct?  thank you Loo!!!  awesome pie!! looks just fabulous! looks just delicious!  one more quick question.  whats your favorite you've made to date?  i saw your malnatis pics!  wow!!!

Offline loowaters

« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2009, 09:07:07 PM »
ok i am in awe of this recipe and i cant wait to try it!  A couple questions.  did you put your perforated disc directly on your stone?  if i use a cutter pan do you oil it? would you also recommend putting it on the stone?  no par bake correct?  thank you Loo!!!  awesome pie!! looks just fabulous! looks just delicious!  one more quick question.  whats your favorite you've made to date?  i saw your malnatis pics!  wow!!!

No need to use the stone just go mid oven with the rack position.  I'd say you would not need to oil the cutter pan in large part because of all the oil in the dough.  No par bake. 

My favorite pie?  HMMMM.  Lately I've really enjoyed my generic chicago thin but I've been making it with KA Bread Flour and that seems like the better way to go than all purp flour.  Just a sausage pie.  I've been tinkering with making my own sweet Italian sausage.  Overall, my Malnati's is still my fave.

Mikita just dropped an honorary puck.  Gotta go, it's anthem time.  Let's go Hawks!!!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2009, 04:08:43 PM »
thanks Loo!!! you're always a great great help!