Author Topic: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation  (Read 78718 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: Home Run Inn Success and Final Formulation
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2009, 04:25:44 PM »
Loo,

The Hawks did a nice job by pounding Calgary 5:1! Congrats. Now I can only hope my Sharks do the same against the Ducks tomorrow!

Go Sharks!!!  ;D

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread...
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2009, 05:19:31 AM »
Loo,

The Hawks did a nice job by pounding Calgary 5:1! Congrats. Now I can only hope my Sharks do the same against the Ducks tomorrow!

Go Sharks!!!  ;D

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread...

No prob on the hijack, I started it.

I'm pulling for your Sharks as well.  I like the Hawks chances against them better than Vancouver and Luongo.   ;D
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2009, 01:29:15 PM »
No prob on the hijack, I started it.

I'm pulling for your Sharks as well.  I like the Hawks chances against them better than Vancouver and Luongo.   ;D

Loo,

I agree.

Vancouver and Luongo had a good season and they're tough to play against. So, yes, let Campbell, Toews and the rest of the Hawks visit the Tank, given that the Sharks beat Anaheim first. I'm sure the fans will appreciate seeing Soupy back in the house  ;D
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2009, 02:19:31 AM »
ok, my 1st try!  thanks loo! growing up in the chicago burbs, i only got to HRI i think once, and it wasnt the original...but it was so good.  also my mom kept a frozen supply of HRI sausage pizzas whenever i came home. i would say i am a frozen HRI afficianado. not that that is anything to be proud of. i have had 100s of their frozen single pizzas shipped out here in idaho. i cant tell you how many people never tasted anything like it here! and it was frozen.  anyhow Loo and Pete and everyone. this really hit the spot for me.  thanks.  one thing i would change is i need to get a cutter pan.  i also need to go a bit higher than 475.  my cheese was not melting and browning along with the crust, so i had to crank it up to 500 for 2 min. anyhow, i thought it hit.  i used alt and frsh grnd pepper only. oregano sprinked on the dough with sauce(saw it in a vieo) i used 3 cheeses.  whole milk, part skim, and scamorza. with a bit of parm sprinked in spots. heck.....  my wife loved it.  i did too. the crust had a great biscuit flakyness to it, with a crunch.  it was a lot of fun! and delicious in the process.  great recipe! great directions.  made it really easy!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2009, 02:20:34 AM »
one last one.  thanks gang!

Offline loowaters

« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2009, 05:30:56 AM »
Great work on that pie, mrmojo.  Did you have any leftovers?  For whatever reason this pie is great cold or reheated. 

Loo

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2009, 03:07:22 PM »
Hey Looks like you got your Mojo on :) for that pie!
Nice job! I too liked the biscuit flakiness of the crust when I made it. BTW I have never had the original or frozen. So I cant really compare. What was your sauce comprised of? Do you think that was the right amount? I like the cheese combination.
As you mention, I think the cutter pans or solid disk www.pizzatools.com will really finalize your recipe
Looks very tasty too!
John
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 03:09:42 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2009, 09:34:27 PM »
Great work on that pie, mrmojo.  Did you have any leftovers?  For whatever reason this pie is great cold or reheated. 

Loo

had a few pieces for lunch the next day.  you are right.  it was excellent!!  something about this crust!  thanks a lot for all your help Loo!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2009, 09:46:30 PM »
Hey Looks like you got your Mojo on :) for that pie!
Nice job! I too liked the biscuit flakiness of the crust when I made it. BTW I have never had the original or frozen. So I cant really compare. What was your sauce comprised of? Do you think that was the right amount? I like the cheese combination.
As you mention, I think the cutter pans or solid disk www.pizzatools.com will really finalize your recipe
Looks very tasty too!
John

my sauce was canned puree 22oz, it was albertsons house brand.  nothing added.  no salt, no citric acid.  it is not bad.  this was a different sauce for me, like Petezza and Loo noted salt and pepper only.  i did 1 Tsp salt and about 1/2 tsp pepper.  i then added a shake of oregano when the sauce was on the skin.  i saw that in this group as well.  I am a pizza sauce guy. i ask for extra sauce on almost every thin crust i order.  so the 1st set of pics probably showed more sauce than most people would prefer.  but it wasnt saucy or sloppy. i think i used between 8-10 oz.   i also added a couple Tsp water to thin the sauce when preparing as Loo recommended.    thanks a ton for the pizza pan info! 

i made a batch of 4 dough balls with this last endeavor and I did another HRI pizza last night.  i kept same oven temp 475, but i moved the rack up 1 increment.  it seemed to work out much better for this disc.  the 1st pics show the crust was a little more done than i would prefer.  i also put the skin on the roller and tried not to push the dough at all when it was on the disc, the 1st pics show i pushed it through the perforations a bit.  And this last time i didnt use scamorza, although i thought it was good, the whole milk and part skim only more closely matched to me the taste of the frozen version.   It was really close in my opinion.  just awesome.  The crust was just like i would imagine it would be!  although i wish i had more recent memories of an actual HRI thin from one of their real pizzerias instead of just frozen ones.  thanks again for the kind words! 

Offline theace1CHI

« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2009, 07:27:38 PM »
First time poster here.  >:D Heh.

It came out pretty good. I had some friends over and as you can see we already began eating before I could take a pic of it as whole. I actually made 2 but didnt get a chance to photo the other one.  >:D   :chef:

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2009, 12:44:38 AM »
i'd pay good money for that pizza!!  nice job!  man that looks good!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2009, 01:52:36 AM »
nice curl(rim) on your pizza!  how did you do that?? i always fold and pinch.  comes out a bit irregular.  yours is virtuall perfect.  again nice job. thats a great looking homeade home run inn!

Offline theace1CHI

« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2009, 07:54:30 PM »
Thanks for your comments. I get the rim like that because I don't pinch much if at all. I push (downwards) using my fingers. This for the most part might require a dough maybe 1/4-1/2 inch bigger than what size I want because I leave the ends of my dough a little thick (That way when I push it doesn't tear or weaken the dough) This was also done by accident because I'm a novice, and I'm really trying to improve my rolling technique. :-D

I attached some photos of tonights pizza to help explain.

By the way, your pizzas look damn good.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:10:44 PM by theace1CHI »

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2009, 02:06:34 AM »
Beautiful!!  great pics of a great pizza!  thank you for your advice!!!!

-=terry

Offline Hayden McCall

« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2009, 01:50:36 PM »
Hey loo...was the sweet sausage you used raw upon being placed on the pizza...or did you precook it some prior to baking the pizza itself?

Offline loowaters

« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2009, 05:00:18 PM »
I put the sausage on raw.  That doesn't necessarily make it right so if for the health safety's sake or for the purpose of reducing calories, go ahead and pre-cook.

Loo

Offline madjack

« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2009, 09:07:48 PM »

...I attempted an overnight, fridge rise with IDY last week and didn't care for the results...

Loo

Can I ask what you didn't like about the dough that had the overnight rise? With my work schedule I have to make dough the night before and stick it in the fridge overnight. I made a pizza last weekend with the recipe as laid out in the original post, using it the same day and it was great. I was hoping an overnight rise would be even better for crust flavor until I re-read your original post.

Also, if anyone knows... whould there be any reason not to use bread flour instead of AP flour for this recipe? I have a bag of Pilsbury brand bread flour to use up. I used that flour in the "generic Chicago thin style" recipe posted in this forum and the crust turned out a bit tougher than when I used AP flour in the same recipe. I was hoping with the oil in this crust, it might not be an issue.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:11:17 PM by madjack »

Offline loowaters

« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
That goes back so far, I can't remember what I didn't like about it.  Give it a try and see how it turns out.  With the bread flour, go ahead and give it a try and let us know how it works for you.  I've been using bread flour lately (KA or Gold Medal) with the Generic Thin and a little milk as a third of the liquid with nice results.  I know, I'm not much help.   :-\

Loo

Offline imisschicagopizza

« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2009, 01:19:56 PM »
Hi, everyone.  I don't know if any of you are still active in this forum, but I've just joined.

As an amateur home cook and no pizza expert, I would be grateful (VERY!  See story below.) to have the recipe broken down into cups, teaspoons, etc. I can always reduce the recipe, but I just don't understand the way it's written right now. 

I grew up eating HRI and Aurelio's.  My dad used to drive us a half-hour for HRI when the place was a shoebox of a bar.  We'd also go after Blackhawk games.  Great times.  Anyway, I've lived in New Jersey for over 25 years now, and I can't stand the pizza out here.  I finally got smart, Googled HRI, and here I am, ready to experiment.

Loo, would you help me out???

Stuck in Jersey

Offline Matthew

« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2009, 01:42:03 PM »
Hi, everyone.  I don't know if any of you are still active in this forum, but I've just joined.

As an amateur home cook and no pizza expert, I would be grateful (VERY!  See story below.) to have the recipe broken down into cups, teaspoons, etc. I can always reduce the recipe, but I just don't understand the way it's written right now. 

I grew up eating HRI and Aurelio's.  My dad used to drive us a half-hour for HRI when the place was a shoebox of a bar.  We'd also go after Blackhawk games.  Great times.  Anyway, I've lived in New Jersey for over 25 years now, and I can't stand the pizza out here.  I finally got smart, Googled HRI, and here I am, ready to experiment.

Loo, would you help me out???

Stuck in Jersey

See Reply 23 on this thread.

Matt

pizzapan