Author Topic: Stone box for grill  (Read 5432 times)

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: Stone box for grill
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 01:14:08 PM »
A non-polished surface would be considered ideal by most, as it lends to moisture absorption during the baking process, resulting in a crispier crust.

Offline Engineered Ceramics

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 01:22:52 PM »
We have a clay boned silicon carbide

some generic info I found at http://www.multi-lab.co.uk/technical/properties.htm

shows:

Thermal conductivity  20 - 100C    W.m-1.k-1    34

If this is simular to our product, we should be able to produce anything between 3 and 30 for a thermal conductivity.

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 01:28:32 PM »
30 is definitely too high.  It's good to hear you have a broad range to work with though.  Cost is still up in the air, but after some testing you may just find the "goldilocks" pizza stone.

EDIT:
I would begin your testing with plain mullite for the baking surface, and graduate to higher conductivities only if absolutely necessary.  I know that with each one-off process you add to your standard product, the cost usually goes up.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:33:13 PM by November »

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 01:34:26 PM »
30 is definitely too high.  It's good to hear you have a broad range to work with though.  Cost is still up in the air, but after some testing you may just find the "goldilocks" pizza stone.

I suppose we could also just up the alumina content to reach at least 10 or better.

I'm not worried abut the cost until I get something that works.

This is a very minor applicants work for us. 

If I wind up with the perfect stone that too expensive, it won't be the end of the world.

ON EDIT:

We specialize in small custom runs, so this is a perfect fit for us.  We have over 30 compositions on our books, but we typically only produce 7 or 8.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:36:15 PM by Engineered Ceramics »

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 01:40:34 PM »
I'm sure someone will be willing to pay any price for the "perfect" stone, but I figured you wanted a product more than a prototype.  I would be interested in what you came up with by adding additional alumina or silicon carbide.

EDIT:
Whatever route you take, you will probably have to make the product a lot heavier to match the heat capacity of traditional pizza stone material like cordierite, possible twice as heavy.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:50:29 PM by November »

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 01:53:55 PM »
I should look thought our existing formulas, we probably have a couple right in the range we need.  Engineered Ceramics has been in business since 1955, and we've done quite a wide range of things over the years.  I've only been with EC for 4 years myself.

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2008, 01:56:44 PM »
I'm sure someone will be willing to pay any price for the "perfect" stone, but I figured you wanted a product more than a prototype.  I would be interested in what you came up with by adding additional alumina or silicon carbide.

EDIT:
Whatever route you take, you will probably have to make the product a lot heavier to match the heat capacity of traditional pizza stone material like cordierite, possible twice as heavy.

We do get some pickup in mass as you go up in alumina content just because of the greater density, but we can go thicker as well.

Offline ehanner

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 12:31:23 PM »
I've been following along here and I'll add my 2 cents and say I think a polished surface might not be a good thing.

Also have you given any thought to having the top of the box made a little thinner. I would want the top to warm up and radiate as quickly as possible and not be the thing to be waiting on.
Eric
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 12:34:19 PM by ehanner »