Author Topic: NY Style dough recipe--for DLX mixer users  (Read 2968 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
NY Style dough recipe--for DLX mixer users
« on: January 22, 2008, 06:43:31 PM »
Hi all,

Well, I've been refining my NY pizza dough recipe on my DLX stand mixer, and I've gotten it to a point I'm pretty happy with, so I figured--why not share it here.

Yield: 8 pizzas, each approx 16" to 18" (depending how thin you stretch them)
Equipment: DLX mixer with dough hook (not roller and scraper)
Ingredients:
-- 9 cups cool water (not lukewarm, but not cold either)
-- high gluten flour (approx 8 pounds' worth...no need to measure)
-- 1 1/2 Tbsp finely ground sea salt
-- 2 Tbsp IDY yeast
-- 1 Tbsp sugar
-- 3 Tbsp olive oil

Instructions:

EDIT: I neglected to mention when I typed this...before you start, install the dough hook, but don't tighten the mixer arm at first...just depress the locking peg at the end of the arm into the dough hook, and then let the natural tension of the mixer arm take the whole thing toward the side of the bowl as far as it'll go naturally.  Then lock the arm with the locking knob.  The arm should wind up being not quite in the middle of the bowl, but a bit toward the side.

1. Add approx. 3 or 4 pounds of flour, all of the sugar, and all of the yeast to the bowl. Start the mixer on lowest speed, wait for the ingredients to mix together a bit, then add the water.

Note: I usually have a big mixing spoon standing by, just in case the ingredients don't mix well with the water.  If things are just sitting around in a big lump, start stirring and getting things moving with the spoon.  The idea is to end up with a semi-batter, semi-liquid.  The mixing shouldn't take more than about 2-3 minutes or so.  It's more important to make sure everything is smoothly mixed together without lots of big lumps than to adhere to an arbitrary clock time, however.

2. When that initial mix phase is done, cover everything with a cloth or towel and let sit for between 15-20 minutes.

3. Add the salt and oil, then restart the mixer on lowest speed.  Gradually add flour until the dough is only minimally sticky to the touch (you should not have gobs of wet dough coming off when you remove your fingers).

Note: I always wondered how "gradually" one should add flour.  I seem to get best results adding it fairly quickly; not waiting for the added flour to be fully absorbed.  I take about 3/4 of a cup of flour at a time, sprinkle it in quickly, then wait about 10-15 seconds and redo it.  You can experiment and find which works best.

Also, as the dough starts to bulk up, it may get stuck.  Use your large mixing spoon judiciously to break the logjams that occur.  You may have to increase the mixer speed slightly, too, as more flour is added.  Try to keep the speed as low as possible.

When you're near the end, you'll really need that spoon to get the dough moving around the bowl.  It tends to hang up on the part of the bowl directly under the DLX arm, because the dough hook pushes everything up there.  Just move things along as best you can....it doesn't have to be moving all that well.  Sometimes if I really can't move things, I just take the dough out of the bowl and knead it by hand for a minute or two, just to get the last bit of flour absorbed properly.  You could avoid all this hassle by scaling down the recipe to create only seven pizzas, but good luck trying to cut one big dough mass at the end into seven equal portions ;)

4. Once you're fully kneaded, lay the (huge) mass of dough out on your countertop and cut into equal portions, then put into containers as needed.  What I do is cut the dough into four equal portions, put each portion in medium-to-large sized cookie tin, then put three in the freezer and one in the refrigerator.  I let the fridge container sit for at least 24 hours (preferably two or three days), then cut it into two portions and use one immediately.  The other sits in the fridge another day or two before I use it. 

You, of course, can try infinite varieties on this concept.  If you have freezer room and enough containers, feel free to just divide the initial huge dough mass into eight equal portions.

For baking, I use quarry tiles on the lowest rack, preheated for an hour to 530 degrees (I'd go hotter if I could), and I bake the pizza until the sides are starting to show browning.

Hope you DLX folks enjoy this if you try it....if you've any questions, fire away :)

cheers,
Dave

« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 11:29:42 PM by canadave »

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
Re: NY Style dough recipe--for DLX mixer users
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 02:55:12 PM »
Hi Dave,

I have the same mixer and do just about the same, except 6 pies.
I don't like cleaning the roller and scraper and use the hook too and also find
the right batch size makes all the difference.

regards,
willard

2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com

Offline telehort

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 12:31:37 PM »
Thank you very much Dave.  I am ordering my DLX later today and look forward to trying this recipe.  Any other DLX tips you can throw my way, I would appreciate.

Offline PizzaEater

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:52:49 PM »
Interesting, I have the Bosch and use almost the same process.