Author Topic: is there mozarella that's salty? i may have been ripped off  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Anis

is there mozarella that's salty? i may have been ripped off
« on: January 24, 2008, 07:34:48 AM »
Good day to everybody!

I bought ten kilos of mozzarella from a supplier that I haven't tried yet.  They're a big discount shop in the Philippines.  I'm wondering if the mozarella I got is really mozarella.  It tastes like cheddar.  Is there a kind of mozarella that's as salty as cheddar?  It's also the same texture as cheddar... a bit sandy texture (don't know how else to describe it).  It's not soft when thawed  ??? usually when I thaw mozarella it's soft.  Is this mozarella?

Thanks in advance. :)

Anis

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
Re: is there mozarella that's salty? i may have been ripped off
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 07:39:10 PM »
Good day to everybody!

I bought ten kilos of mozzarella from a supplier that I haven't tried yet.  They're a big discount shop in the Philippines.  I'm wondering if the mozarella I got is really mozarella.  It tastes like cheddar.  Is there a kind of mozarella that's as salty as cheddar?  It's also the same texture as cheddar... a bit sandy texture (don't know how else to describe it).  It's not soft when thawed  ??? usually when I thaw mozarella it's soft.  Is this mozarella?

I've gotten a cheese from Wisconsin, called Mozarella, that's really more like a white Cheddar, that I tried a year ago. Nice cheese, but absolutely not a mozz. Name was something like Schulmann's. Sounds something like what you got.

- pizzoid

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 07:47:44 PM »
What's the taste and texture like when melted on a pie? If it's not there for you it may still be worth trying a blend of 50/50 with another type of mozzerella you like, might turn out pretty good since alot of people/pizza joints do some sort of blend anyway.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Anis

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 02:25:08 AM »
when its melted in the pie its kind of flat.  no strands of cheese when picking up a slice.  The bubbles from the crust/sauce remain as holes on top after the pie has been taken out of the oven. 

The taste is great with bread, though.  I was able to return the unopened packs to the store, and I'm using the opened pack for snacks with bread. 

Havent thought of blending it with mozzarella.  It's a good idea. 

Thanks everybody.  :)

pizzapan