Author Topic: NEED HELP IN MALTA, EUROPE, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.  (Read 2392 times)

Offline ROCK VEGAS

NEED HELP IN MALTA, EUROPE, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.
« on: January 10, 2008, 03:55:36 AM »
Hi, Guys.... :pizza:

I'm new to this site and i don't really know what to do yet, i wrote to a person on here and i was referred to you guys as being the ones able to help me out.

I have a place in Malta just opened about 6 months ago, and i am turning it into a pizza place as it is not doing so well as a bar, its called Rock Vegas i would like to make American Pizza   to be different from all the others, as Malta is so close to Italy ( 60 miles away ) most of the places here make Italian style pizza. we do have Tex Mex and Pizza Hut here. in fact the Tex Mex owner is a friend of mine and he offered to show me how to make his pizza dough, but i want to be different, any ideas???.

Have you any suggestion on what i should use??? I might also alter it a bit by adding some wine in exchange for part of the water, or maybe you know one that is made by part wine.

Hope you could introduce me to some of the members that might be of some help to me and Thanking you in advance for your advice.

Pierre Cassar
Rock Vegas
Malta

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: NEED HELP IN MALTA, EUROPE, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 09:01:32 AM »
Hi ROCK VEGAS,

I can't help you with specifics, however, if you have a friend willing to show you how to do dough, I'd take him up on his offer.

Even if you don't go this way, it's a good way to see how they do their dough, and you will learn a lot about technique, etc.

Any free pizza lesson is a good one in my books.  This can help you out, and will also help you decide what you wish to do for your
own dough.

I'm sure many others will join in, and give you some opinions on your specific questions, so good luck, but do indeed go and
watch your friend make his dough ! :D
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 10:13:38 AM »
You might also check the PMQ web site, http://www.pmq.com/ which is oriented to professional operators.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 10:50:02 AM »
Pierre,

Along the lines mentioned by member wallman, my first suggestion is that you register and post your questions to the members of the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewforum.php?f=6. The people who post there are mainly professional pizza operators. They are unlikely to have much knowledge of Malta, but they may be able to help you with the business aspects of what you are proposing to do. As for different pizza styles, you might also want to take a look at the dough formulations in the PMQ Recipe Bank at http://www.pmq.com/Recipe-Bank/?additionalinfo=Pizza+Dough&areaname=&searchcustomdata=.

I must confess that my knowledge of Malta is about zero, although I saw this morning that there is a lot of information on Malta at the wikipedia website, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Malta.

Since you presumably know the local conditions and the competition, and the products they are selling and at what price points, what I would give some thought to is what pizza demographic you plan to cater to. For example, is it basic inexpensive pizza for the masses or gourmet pizza for people who are willing and able to pay for gourmet pizzas? Second, is your present establishment and location consistent with the intended demographic, or will you have to make modifications and, if so, do you have sufficient capital for this purpose? Third, I would research what pizza ingredients and equipment are available for you to use, and from what sources and at what prices. Knowing the answers to these questions may help you zero in on what type of pizza you think you will be able to actually make and sell where you are. Fourth, if you can zero in on a potentially marketable pizza style, you will want to make up some test batches of dough and pizzas and have some of your existing customers or other neutral persons (which usually rules out friends and family) tell you whether they like what you have done and would be willing to pay for it if offered in your establishment. Sometimes there are good reasons why a particular product doesnít sellólike little or no demand. Itís possible that in your area that there is little or no demand for pizzas other than Italian style pizzas. If thatís the case, it becomes extremely difficult to create demand for a new product where it doesnít now exist. One of our members is currently making and selling NY style pizza in South China, where pizza is still somewhat of a novelty. However, the Chinese are very much into things that are American. The member is now thinking about adding other U.S. pizza styles to his product line.

As for your question about using wine in a dough, yes, it is possible to do so and I recall a couple of dough recipes, including one by Mario Batali, that use wine. However, I am hard pressed to see how that would be a major differentiator. I read about this stuff all the time and I am unaware of anyone commercially using wine in a dough recipe. Even if wine in a dough makes a better tasting pizza, pizza operators will not usually be willing to spend the money on wine to get that improvement. They wonít even do it for beer. Also, in the U.S., the regulators would take a dim view of putting any alcohol in dough, even if only for adults and even though the alcohol burns off during baking.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 08:40:07 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 02:16:41 PM »
I tried adding red wine once to my dough, it didn't seem to change the flavor, but the skin did come out slightly pink -- good for a Valentine's Day pizza ;)

pizzapan