Author Topic: Philly Cheesepork Pizza.....  (Read 4501 times)

Offline Jackitup

Philly Cheesepork Pizza.....
« on: January 06, 2008, 12:05:20 AM »
Well it started with what to make for Sunday eats. Looked in the freezer, usual venison, sausage, pork loin, ribeyes, pheasant, etc and couldn't make up my mind. I thought how about a steak, been thinking about pizza as usual, hmmmm Philly cheese steak sandwiches, grabbed a ribeye and changed my mind and grabbed a couple pork loin steaks and thought 'let's make a Philly cheese pork pizza'! I just finished making a cheese sauce using 1 lb of Velveeta, 1/3 lb of extra sharp aged white cheddar cheese, 12 oz of evaporated milk, a spot of mustard and a bit of garlic and hot sauce. I could've eaten all of that just the way it was, I ate about 4 big spoonfuls and made me feel as guilty as swearin' in church. Made the high hydration cracker crust that I will not be parbaking so it will be a softer, NY style crust. Tomorrow I with make some caramelized onions and mushrooms and grill the pork loin chops to med-med rare and slice on a bias. The pizza will be stretched out and topped with a base of the cheese sauce, then lay out the slices of pork, top that with the caramelized onions and mushrooms and finish with a layer of mozzarella and asiago cheese, and a sprinkling of pizza spices Sound good???
I'll post the results Sunday nite with some pics.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Bryan S

Re: Philly Cheesepork Pizza.....
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 01:40:07 AM »
Patiently waiting for pics. Jack, is it done yet?  :(
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 02:21:32 AM »
Jon,
I for one will be interested to see how this all turned out since your "what to make for dinner" scenario sounds just like me... start out with an idea based on what's in the freezer... which mutates several times into something entirely different... and then adds an idea or two... then... what can I do with what needs to be used up... and eases back toward the original idea... sheesh!  But Hubby, bless him, never complains... sometimes he gives me a suggestion of what he might like...and then promptly says "What did I just screw myself out of for dinner???"   :'(   :-D

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 09:12:43 PM »
Here's the pics of the 'Philly Cheese Pork Pizza'. We each took a bite and said 'WOW', this is for sure a keeper. Made  rookie mistake on the pie into the oven. I always put my pie on a sheet on tin foil to keep things clean and slide off the peel easy, I did not this time and now my NEW looking stone is not so NEW looking any more. Putting the warmed cheese sauce on the dough, also warmed the dough and even with semolina on the peel the dough stuck to the peel. So I had to flip the whole pie upside down onto a fiol lined pan, then re-flip onto another piece of foil on the peel and more or less saved the pie, albeit a mess. The oven is now on the cleaning cycle to help burn off my mess. Anyway the pie turned out great, really liked it. Next time it will be with ribeye.
Jon

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Jackitup1/?action=view&current=8b6cdb7d.pbw

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 08:41:19 AM »
Jon,

The pizza looks great. With the skin weighted down with the wet cheese sauce and all of the meat and other toppings you used, were the crust characteristics the same as your last pizzas using the same dough recipe? Was the recipe the one you posted here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.msg50791.html#msg50791) Reply 107) and http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.msg50810.html#msg50810 (Reply 109)?

Peter

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 11:07:54 AM »
Hi Pete,
Thanks the pizza was more than a little enjoyable. This is the recipe I used, I should've included that.
Flour  (100%)   350g
Water (60%)    210g
IDY     (.69%)  2.4g
Salt   (1.67%)  5.84g
Oil     (3.34%)  11.7g
Sugar (1.14%)  4g
Total             583.94g
The one thing I changed was backing off on the yeast to about .69%, last couple pies 'blew up' a bit more than I wanted. I put all room temp. ingredients into the KA food processor for about 45-60 seconds, kneeded by hand just to get a smooth ball and put in an oiled, plastic container for about 20 hours. Stretched by hand to about half way and then finished wth a roller. Topped and went thru my above described fiasco of getting the pie in the oven and ended up eating a wonderful pie. Since I did not parbake it did not have the cracker texture but more of a medium to thin crust with a bagel like chew with still a hoagy kind of taste, kind of a chewy NY style of which I was looking for. After the ovens cleaning cycle my stone again looks like new, I'll be sticking with the foil from now on  ;)
Jon

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 01:26:44 PM »
Just heated up a couple slices of leftover pie for the wife and I. Used the covered skillet method, using a heat diffuser plate under the pan to spot hot spots, and the crust got 'exceptionally' crispy and crunchy. The bottom surface of the crust litterally, snapped and broke like potato chips in your mouth while the middle and top suface of the crust still had a slight chewiness to it, completely different from last nite where it was more of a chew NY. Liked it as much as last nite but in a different way, maybe even a bit more.
Jon

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 09:47:45 PM »
Jack, The pizza looks Fantastic. Yes, yes, yes on the Ribeye, and ever think of making a Boli instead of the pie?  ;) ;D

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 11:15:55 PM »
No, I haven't tried that but I'm always up for something new. By the way, I had a big thick ribeye in hand and changed my mind to the loin chop. Any good recipes to share on the boli?? Jus got my internet DSL back after damned near 12 hrs of Embarq being down in my area....Arrrrggghhhhh.
Jon

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 11:47:34 PM »
No, I haven't tried that but I'm always up for something new. By the way, I had a big thick ribeye in hand and changed my mind to the loin chop. Any good recipes to share on the boli?? Jus got my internet DSL back after damned near 12 hrs of Embarq being down in my area....Arrrrggghhhhh.
Jon
Downed Internet service sux. As far as the boli goes I just use my normal NY style pizza dough. It's best to limit the wetter ingredients, onions, peppers, mushrooms or pre cook them so you don't get a bunch of water pouring out of the boli when you cut it ( I would pre cook shrooms and caramelize the oinions). I just love grilled Portabellas mushrooms with butter. I never make a Ribeye (my favorite steak) or any Porterhouse (very close second, almost tied for 1st), or rib roast without them.  ;D The only thing I would add to that pizza you made or will make with Ribeye is grilled/charred Portabellas. Another possibility is to put a Bechamel saucedown first on the skin and the cheese on top of all the fixen's .  :chef:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 11:51:41 PM by Bryan S »

Offline Jimmy V

• I Love Pizza / Fishing/ and Drag Racing.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 05:31:49 PM »
Jack, that looks fantastic. I'll be trying one tomorrow with Serloin, and I'll bake it on par-baked thin crust and a stone. I will probably use Provolone cheese for the first time, looking forward to the results.

Offline Jimmy V

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 05:33:56 PM »
By the way, and this is slightly off topic, but speaking of meats, have you guys ever deep fried a Prime Rib ?  I will never do one in the oven again, they come out awsome, its a little tricky in the Winter up here in MinneSNOWta tho.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 05:58:40 PM »
Jimmy,
Thanks, it was one of my favorites so far, the cheddar cheese sauce base really set it apart, and you know 'true' philly cheese steak has cheddar sauce, inparticular 'Cheez Whiz' and also the provolone as you said.
Deepfry prime rib?? Not yet but it sounds good. Done my fair share in my smoker though, hard to beat hardwood smoked beef. I also am in MN, I live in Hastings, where are you at?
Jon

Offline Jimmy V

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 06:12:30 PM »
Nice Buck in that picture Jack. I'm up in Duluth Jack. I also am going to try smoking some beef etc. I got an electric digital smoker last year and brought back some king Salmon from Lake Michigan and smoked them up. They were great !!
Anyway, I sure am learning lots of pizza making ideas at this site, seems the possibilities are endless. I do not care to ever eat pizza from a restaraunt now that I'm making my own, and the falmily likes them also.
My neighbor want me to make him a 1/2 pepperoni - sausage and 1/2 Hawian, thats should be interesting, I'll keep you guys posted.

pizzapan