Author Topic: Spinach Crust Pizza  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Jackitup

Spinach Crust Pizza
« on: January 27, 2008, 10:19:04 PM »
Actually I used brussel sprout greens (the leaves of the plant) to add to the dough. I blanched and froze a butt load of these last fall, kind of a cross in flavor of spinach, chard and collards, very good. Squeezed the water out ‘very well’ and ended up with about 5.5 oz of greens. Obviously one could use frozen spinach too. I got the idea make green pasta and thought 'why not pizza". After squeezing out the water I put the ball of greens in a dish towel and stood on it a twisted back and forth and it got them very dry, worked much better than just doing it by hand. Used a NY style crust recipe. Put the greens in the KA food processor with metal blade and ran til very fine. Then added water, oil, sugar, salt and yeast with a little flour and blended for another 30 seconds or so til real smooth. Added the rest of the flour and processed for about a minute. Dough was still a bit too wet, probably due to the small bit of moisture still in the greens so I added another ¼ cup or so of flour and processed for another 30 seconds or so. Dough recipe was as follows:
Flour 350g
Water 210g
Yeast 2.4g
Salt 5.8g
Sugar 4g
Oil 11.7g
Well drained greens 5.5oz or 156g

Topped with Pastorelli’s and Stanislaus mixed 50/50 and mushrooms, onions, gr peppers, pepperoni and sliced homemade venison pepperjack summer sausage. Pizza came out very good with nice texture. It would be a great St. Patty's Day pie.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

pizzapan