Author Topic: Pomegranate pizza?  (Read 4543 times)

Offline Natephish

Pomegranate pizza?
« on: October 17, 2007, 03:54:34 PM »
In celebration of the beginning of pomegranate season I've been experimenting with ways to incorporate the delicious flavor of poms with the delicious flavor of pizza.  My most recent attempt was simply adding pom arils (the seeds and seed flesh) to the top of pizzas, above and below the cheese.  The arils below the cheese didn't get as "crispy," but were cooked enough that the seed was soft and easily chewable, which I prefered to the arils on top of the cheese.  If you've ever had uncooked arils, you know the seed is not tough, but does need to be chewed up and has a bland and sometimes sour taste.

Sadly, the taste of the tomato sauce overpowered the delicate pom flavor.  Next up is a white pie with pom and something else.  I've also though about adding pom pulp to the sauce, or even pom juice to the dough (which would make for an interesting color)!

Any idea?  Am I just pom crazy?  :-D

Offline jkandell

Re: Pomegranate pizza?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 05:43:36 PM »
Any idea?  Am I just pom crazy?  :-D

Yes, you're pom crazy.  Some other ideas off the top of my head:
  • caramelized onion and pear slices, sprinkled with shaved parmesan and pomegranate molasses and olive oil.
  • roast potato and pomegranate seeds with olive oil and rosemary
  • sauce made from milled pomegranate pulp, oregano, cumin, garlic, spread across pizza with slices of roasted yellow pepper, olive oil, garlic, basil leaves
  • italian sausage, pomegranate seeds, shredded carrot, on top of smoked mozzerela

Ok your turn