Author Topic: Did I break my mixer after just a couple months?  (Read 2767 times)

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Did I break my mixer after just a couple months?
« on: February 04, 2008, 07:06:31 PM »
I've got the "Pro 5 Plus" and some metal broke off around the snap ring now there's metal dust going all into my dough.  :(

There was a ton more on the previous batch which I threw away.  I cleaned up around the pin and did it again hoping I could get away with it.

Unfortunately I do not think KA's "FLOUR POWER" measurements are accurate.  I use around 1KG of flour, which  is 8 or so cups of flour.  The mixer is rated to "12" .  Maybe that is if you are just mixing dry flour.   ::)

Has anyone experienced this... and what do I do from here?  I've had it for only 3 months.
Patrick

Offline telephony

Re: Did I break my mixer after just a couple months?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 09:02:20 PM »
Patrick,

If you bought it new, KA should ship a new one out to you with a shipping label to return the broken one.  You may want to post something in forum.kitchenaid.com/forums/default.asp for more advice.

Craig

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 09:39:45 PM »
I have the same machine - I run approximately the same amount of flour per batch as you - highly hidrated - no problem after one full year running it every weekend - send it back for warranty

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 10:37:44 AM »
I must say after the horror stories, I am impressed by their customer service.  I did not wait on hold at all and within 5 minutes they told me they are sending me a new mixer.  I would have liked to pay more to upgrade to a Pro 6 but I didn't want to push my luck. 

I guess this is a gentle warning to maybe tone it down on the total dough weight.  If I ruin this again I am skipping the Pro 6, the N50 and going for a 10 or 12 or even 20 quart Hobart.  Not kidding!!!

I hate to say it but my favorite part is not the actual making of the dough.  It would be wonderful to be able to make dough just once a week or less frequently.  I prefer the stretching, topping, baking and eating it more  :chef:
Patrick

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 01:37:56 PM »
New mixer arrived before I even ran out of my last batch of dough.  Wonder do I get to keep the extra hook, whip and most of all extra bowl????????
Patrick

Offline 5hortbus

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 05:43:22 PM »
I never had a problem with my KA until I started making pizza dough. Then, 4 pro-5s later thanks to KA and Bed Bath & Beyond's liberal return/exchange policies, I now have upgraded to a pro-6.  I must admit that I feel like I'm doing something wrong sometimes. During the last batch the 6 started to sound a little scary/grindy. I'll just keep replacing them until I can afford something more substantial I guess.