Author Topic: Little Black Egg Convert  (Read 9358 times)

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
Little Black Egg Convert
« on: February 09, 2008, 06:55:26 AM »
I just have to say a BIG thanks to Villa Roma for sharing his pizza making skills with new enthusiasts like myself. Since using his LBE ideas my pizzas have never been better! This web site is just a fantastic way to pick up great tips, not forgetting Jeff Varasano's brilliant recipe for dough making. ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 04:37:23 AM by pizzacraver »

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
Re: Little Black Egg Convert
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 10:22:18 AM »
pizzacraver.....great looking pizza! Kind of reminds me of some of my first pies.

Villa Roma

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 10:24:05 PM »
Thats a spectacular looking pie VR!!! Was that one of your first?
At what temp was it cooked?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 10:26:35 PM by pizzacraver »

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 11:07:55 PM »
These are some shots of my latest attempt at replicating VR's LBE and it is working a treat.It fires up to temp in 10 to 15min uses little propane (the only pay off being you can't make very large pizzas in an oven this size.) That side vent made a huge difference. The Australian version of the LBE is here!!! ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 12:43:31 AM by pizzacraver »

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 09:48:32 AM »
Thats a spectacular looking pie VR!!! Was that one of your first?
At what temp was it cooked?

pizzacraver.....I made that pizza about a year ago and cooked it at 650 degrees. I've since discovered that I can make pizza from 100% whole grain and it can be nice and light and tasty. Looks like you're using a 14" Weber?

Villa Roma

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 05:02:13 AM »
Hey Villa, thats right its a tiny 14'' kettle. It works real well with the small 50,000btu burner I managed to find. I'm cooking my pies for about 1min40sec-2min (at around 680-720F bottom stone temp and getting a considerable amount more heat over the top of the pie thanks to that side vent pulling heat up and over instead of most of the heat coming from under the pie and burning the bottom before the top was properly cooked).I'm totally blown away with how light they are turnning out, considering for years I was cooking pizza in my conventional oven for around 15min at around 400F give or take and thinking I had it down to a fine art. The only improvement I could still make would be to hinge the lid to free up both hands so as to turn the pie at intervals quicker or to come up with some sort of lazy-susan idea for the bottom stone.All the same I'm pretty chuffed with my results thus far and really haven't seen a better way to cook pizza (that is without having to spend considerable amounts off money).Hats off to you ol' boy your ideas are extremely clever. pizzacraver. :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 12:32:19 AM by pizzacraver »

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 03:50:28 PM »
Pizzacraver, how did you cut such a perfect slot in the lid...looks very smooth and even...please explain thanks! Great looking pies as well...

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 04:09:00 AM »
Hi MTPIZZA thanks for your kind words. To answer your question I cut the top vent using a drill with a 32mm hole saw attached.I drilled either side then cut straight lines top and bottom using a small angle grinder with a fine metal cutting disk.It took about 5min.I also used the angle grinder to cut the hole at the bottom of the kettle in no time at all.
pizzacraver............... :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 12:02:46 AM by pizzacraver »

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 04:18:22 AM »
Here is some more pizza I made today using a 5 day cold rise dough,cooked at around 720F for 1min 40sec.They came out super light with a springy crisp crust and slightly chewy near the center.The cold rise gave the dough heaps of time to develop flavour.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 02:36:46 AM by pizzacraver »

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 10:06:12 AM »
THanks for the response... Your pies look great...Villa Romas LBE is certainly a masterpiece in design for the average homeowner.

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 02:58:44 AM »
Your not wrong about the LBE being a masterpiece in design MTPIZZA, so tell me are you contemplating  building a cooker??????????

Offline Villa Roma

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 04:06:13 AM »
pizzacraver.....Those pies are beautiful! The leoparding is awesome. If I was a leopard I think I would be a little jealous. Would you mind posting your recipe?

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 05:14:59 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 05:45:30 AM »
Hey VR thanks for the compliment,I'd love to share my recipe but I first have to say my success thus far seems to have a lot to do with the fantastic heat distribution I've been able to achieve with the LBE.I've tried so many different set-ups over the last 4months ie. kettle sizes,changing the stone heights,using lump charcoal,firing it up on my kitchen stove top etc..
but this current set-up is working better than I could have ever imagined!Anyway I'll stop waffling on...
The recipe goes like this(and I hope I'm not telling a knowledgable enthusiast like your self how to suck eggs!) :P
To make 6/200g balls I use-
*Mollini pizza flour.   11.2%protein - 850g
*filtered water-  540
*sea salt-25g
*poolish-100g
*Mix all ingredients(except 30% of the flour) together with spatula for about 1min.
*Autolyse for 20min then I mix it in my KA mixer for a total of 8min. For the first 5min I mix on the slowest speed then I take it up a notch and mix for 2 min whilst adding the remaining flour,let it mix an extra min then rest another 20min.
*Divide into 200g balls hand knead each for 30sec-1min and place in lightly oiled containers.
*Let rest for another 10-15min before storing in fridge for 1-7days.
*Take out of fridge 2hr prior to usage(depending on the room temp)
Thats about it VR,pretty much a la Jeff Varasano recipe,but once again for me a BIG contributing factor is the one and only LBE!!!!!!!!

pizzacraver ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 06:33:25 AM by pizzacraver »

Offline PizzaBrasil

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 06:14:42 AM »

Pizzacraver
Congratulations!
On the recipe you wrote:
Fluor 520g, Water 850 g...something wrong there
I think that could be Fluor 1520g, Water 850g. This ends with a 56% of hydration ratio.
Is it so?

Luis

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 06:26:51 AM »
Thanks PizzaBrasil.... I did mix them up!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 06:30:44 AM by pizzacraver »

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 08:24:50 AM »
Ron, Yes I'm keeping my eye on the weber grills... I guess the smallest you could go would be the 14" version. Then I'm going to order the Bayou blaster from their website. But do you know where I might pick up a burner at cheap??
Thanks..

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 04:47:29 PM »
Hey MTPIZZA, just a quick note, I'm not Ron!!!(just one of his many protege ;D)  I'm not sure where you are situated but here in Australia you cant get those Bayou burners thats why I settled for the 50MJ/hr 'RAMBO :-D wok burner' accompanied with the 14'' weber(a great combo).Hope you have huge success.

Pizzacraver ;D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 12:33:11 AM by pizzacraver »

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 03:58:51 PM »
Pizzacraver, where did you find such nice alternative to the Bayou burner...Rambo Wok burner?? never heard of it... you say its for a Wok?? I guess a good chinese supply store?? Please explain..thanks.. I found one on the internet but its a bit pricey....
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 04:01:35 PM by MTPIZZA »

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 04:55:44 AM »
Pizzacraver, where did you find such nice alternative to the Bayou burner...Rambo Wok burner?? never heard of it... you say its for a Wok?? I guess a good chinese supply store?? Please explain..thanks.. I found one on the internet but its a bit pricey....

MTPIZZA, I got it from a BBQ supply store.
Your right it is pretty cool, the bottom of the kettle nestles in well on top of the burner.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 05:04:27 AM by pizzacraver »

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 04:01:12 PM »
I don't think I have a BBQ supply store near me, maybe I'll check out some restaurant supply stores in the area... I know in chinese restaurants the Wok stove is very high BTU's and cook with very high heat... the one you have is portable -- never seen that before.. thanks for sharing and I'll start looking around.

pizzapan