Author Topic: Little Black Egg Convert  (Read 9356 times)

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Little Black Egg Convert
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2008, 04:33:53 PM »
BRAVO BRAVO!!!!! Just fantastic...loved your dough pics too.. I noticed how hydrated your dough was very very wet... even when you were assembling-- the one picture showed the edge of the dough grabbing the counter revealing a wet edge... just great great shots!! Thanks so much for allowing all to see your pie making... I also loved the shots of it in your LBE the slow charring just great! 700+ degrees and wow what a finish!!
Where do you purchase that flour??? I've never seen that brand before...??

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2008, 07:34:47 PM »
Your more than welcome MTPIZZA :D To answer your question I get that flour from a local deli in the area but I would still love to get my hands on some of that Caputo flour a lot of you talk about. It seems unobtainable here in Australia?? If anyone could pass on any info on how I could get some it would be greatly appreciated.Anyway glad you enjoyed the pics :D

pizzacraver

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2008, 07:49:10 PM »
Thanks Essen1 & MWTC you are too kind.I do put 100% passion into my pies :D MWTC I've never tried to work out the exact hydration before I just know the dough is really wet. Can you tell me the formula you use again ???
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 07:56:03 PM by pizzacraver »

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2008, 07:51:34 PM »
I just finished making one of Villa Roma's LBEs myself but haven't had a chance to give it a test run. If I can come only  50% close to what you came up with, I'll be happy  :chef:

Mike

Essen1 good luck with your newly constructed LBE I'm sure it will work a treat! Love to see the pics :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 07:55:22 PM by pizzacraver »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2008, 08:08:39 PM »
PC,

the pics of my LBE can be seen here and on the next page:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4753.160.html

I'm still waiting for my Fibrament-D stone to arrive before I'm able to make some pies. I'm getting kind of anxious, though  :chef: But I got my Caputo "00" Pizzeria flour today! Man, just by the way it looks, you can tell that there's a huge difference.

I ordered it from Pennmac. I don't know if they'd ship to Australia:

http://www.pennmac.com/items/3202

Hope that helps.

Mike
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline MWTC

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2008, 03:20:35 AM »
I'm using 80% All Trumps and 20% Caputo's Pizzeria at 62% Hydration. I'm using 25% Activated Starter. Creating a 62% Biga, that ferments for 24 hours. I then mix the remaining ingredients using cold water. Riposo, and knead for 5 minutes. I then cold ferment the dough for at least 48 hours. Allow at least 1 hour counter rise before baking at 700 degrees. I'm baking in a pan and using the 2stone Oven.

This pizza was done in 3 1/2 minutes.

MWTC  :chef:

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2008, 07:00:47 PM »
Very impressive MWTC :D that shot of your pie looks fantastic! The philly cheese steak combo sounds great I must give it a shot :)The 2stone oven appears to perform amazingly well, if it wasn't that I was so happy with my LBE at this moment I'd be making a lot of inquiries!The demo I saw on you tube had my full attention.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 07:21:21 PM by pizzacraver »

Offline MWTC

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2008, 01:28:23 AM »
Thank-you for saying so.  :)

Here is the recipe;

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6279.msg54054.html#msg54054

The pizza above I substituted the Swiss Cheese with White American and the top cheese is one half White Cheddar and the other half was Provolone.

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2008, 04:00:47 AM »
Here's a few more pics :D

Offline MWTC

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2008, 10:31:45 AM »
I really like the look of the bottom of the pie.

Excellent result.

How was the texture of the crust?

What was the flour combination?

Offline pizzacraver

• beer and pizza mmmm!
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2008, 08:58:12 PM »
Hi MWTC,

The flour was 60% Mollini Pizza Flour and 40% AP Flour only because I'd run out of Mollini and to answer your question re the crust it was a little disappointing in comparison to my last few pies :( The crust wasn't as light and springy considering my hydration, mixing technique  & oven temps have been quite consistant.
To be honest as much as I love the simplicity of the LBE I'm thinking of ditching it and building a 'proper wood fired pizza oven'. At this point in time I wouldn't have clue where to start but once I've  throw myself into the project well hopefully I won't be biting off more than I can chew.Hoping to glean lots of info from this site on the subject, the need for a new challenge has been gnawing away in my head for a while now, so with a bit of luck it will be smooth sailing ???.

ps.. haven't tried the Philly Steak recipe yet  but it's still definitely one I'm keen to taste :chef:

pizzacraver :D

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 10:43:41 PM by pizzacraver »

Offline MWTC

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2008, 03:15:28 AM »
It's the real deal, and anything that is the real deal always has the potential of producing results of the highest quality.

I don't have any experience with wood burning ovens. The one thing that would be the real consideration for me, is the time it takes to get the oven up to speed. And the cost of the wood. The convenience of gas is fantastic, and the speed of the oven warm up is only 25-30 minutes for me. It  seems that
a wood burning oven would be much longer. That being said, having the situation that a wood burning oven would work as an additional option would be pure luxury and tuns of fun.

You can't go wrong with the Philly Cheese Steak Pizza. The thing that adds to the fun with the PCS Pizza is the options with the cheese and steak (beef), endless possibilities. ;D

You got the bake down. I'll bet its the quality of the flour that will be your biggest contributor.

I'm experimenting with dough dressings. A great area of distinction.

pizzapan