Author Topic: My latest NY  (Read 6108 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re:My latest NY
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2004, 10:49:32 AM »
Hmmmm... I made an excellent NY style pizza the other night using 16 ounces (1 pound) of King Arthur Bread Flour and 9.5 ounces of water. It was not even close to being "goop".  ;)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2004, 03:14:45 PM »
Interesting responses, all...thanks.  Just some more info before I go any further--I doubled the recipe so as to use 20 oz of water and 32 oz of flour (you'll need to know that so the rest makes sense).

I took another look at my measuring cup....it says that 20 oz of water is exactly 2 1/2 cups of water.  In my recipes, I've always used 2 1/3 or 2 1/4 (thanks Pete for reminding me...I'd forgotten!)

So when I used 20 oz of water, I was using at least 2 oz more water than I normally use (and Pete, by the way, I waited until the water stopped sloshing around, placed the measuring cup on a flat surface, and took the meniscus into account ;))  That's the only thing I can think of as an explanation for the goopiness...but as Steve just pointed out, he had no problems with 16 oz flour and 9.5 oz water.

I guess I'll just go back to my old recipe and leave it as a mystery.  I'm surprised that you guys haven't had any problems with this!

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2004, 03:22:42 PM »
Oh, for crying out................... >:( >:( >:( !!!!!!!

*sigh*....ok, sorry guys...I'm a complete idiot.  I just figured out what I did wrong.

I just went and looked at the scale and measuring cup to make sure I'm not going crazy.  My scale goes like this:

oz  0....4....8....12....|....4....8....12....|
lbs  0.......................1........................2

Guess what ol' Smarty-Pants Dave did when measuring the flour?  He counted up the ounces scale by fours, and came up with 32 ozs at the "12" mark on the oz scale.  In other words, I filled up the bowl until the scale needle hit the 12 on the oz scale.  Notice anything wrong with that?

Yeah, I just noticed it too.  He didn't add it up right!  :-[  The "12" is the 28 ounce marker, not 32.

Why I didn't just say "16 ounces is one pound, 32 ounces is two pounds" and just fill it to the "2" on the lbs scale, and how I managed to screw up the addition both times I checked, is absolutely, completely, totally beyond me.  :-\

Sorry guys...apologies to Giovanni for making your recipe sound like a disaster.  I'll have to try it again with my brain engaged in "Drive" gear this time rather than "Park."

--Dave
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 03:31:02 PM by canadave »

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2004, 03:23:51 PM »
I guess this is also as good an argument as any for buying a digital scale  :-[

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2004, 04:03:53 PM »
Dave,

No need to feel bad about what you did.  My biggest accidents are usually the result of "pilot" error, even with good instrumentation (digital scale).  I'm looking forward to your next attempt at making a pizza based on Giovanni's/Newbe's recipe and how it compares with your own.  

Peter

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2004, 04:52:09 PM »
Thanks :) I'm going to try to make a batch within the next day or two.

CORRECTION: I have a batch made and in the fridge as we speak.  Funny, it didn't seem as goopy this time! ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 07:02:25 PM by canadave »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2004, 08:20:27 AM »
Glad to hear that the mystery has been solved!   ;D
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2004, 01:36:29 PM »
Dave, you gave me the best laugh I've had in weeks.  Of course I can laugh becuase I've done similar things in the past.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2004, 12:54:00 PM »
DKM: me too.  What kills me is that I checked the addition TWICE before I posted here about it the first time...I can still see myself with that puzzled expression on my face, tentatively counting the tick marks..."4, 8, 12...20, 24, 28, 32.  What the heck??  It still all adds up??  What the heck am I doing wrong???"

LOL!

I have to say...I just ate a pizza from the batch of dough I made after discovering that mistake.  Talk about a slice of humble pie!  ;D  I don't think I've ever been as chastened while eating a pizza.  It was good though *whew*
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 12:55:56 PM by canadave »

BradLovesPizza

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2004, 09:31:08 PM »
My first post. I've just been lurking here the last few months.  8)

May have found a way to get that ezzo pepperoni - though possibly relabled. Check out this thread http://www.pmq.com/cgi-bin/tt/index.cgi/noframes/read/8905

I live in Indianapolis, and we just happen to have a GFS that is open to the public. I may just try to get over there this weekend and see if they have some ezzo pepperoni under the relabeled Primo Gusto brand. I'm wondering what other items have been relabled as primo gusto as well (sauce, cheese maybe?).

Brad  

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2004, 07:35:09 AM »
I have a friend who is moving to Columbus, OH, soon. This friend said that she would be more than happy to ship me some Ezzo pepperoni once she gets settled in. Ezzo is based is Columbus, OH.  :D

johng

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2004, 12:20:35 PM »
All,
I am just a guest currently due to the lack of time I currently have, but i do check out the site as often as possible. I live in Columbus and am farmiliar with Ezzo. I have never attempted to get pep. from them because rumor has it that they only sell to operators, mom and pop, no big names. I would be glad to attempt to score some pep for who ever may want some. I currently own an ice cream parlor and I am drifting towards opening a pizzaraunt. This may be a good in with Ezzo if they are studdorn about selling to the public. If there is any interest let me know, we can discuss shipping later if there is an interest.

john

pizzapan