Author Topic: Pizza Hut Recipe  (Read 3910 times)

Offline mbusse

Pizza Hut Recipe
« on: February 02, 2008, 03:13:03 PM »
I just tried the Pizza Hut recipe on the recipe page. All I can say is WOW!
This is very close to Pizza Hut. I would say the only slight difference would be the sauce of course.

I use 6n1, pureed, 1tsp penzeys, a shake of garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, basil.

I do have a question, the recipe called for powdered milk. I did not have any on hand so added a splash
of whole milk to the recipe. Is there a benefit to powdered milk vs. regular milk? I did add a bit more flour
to compensate for what I assumed would be more liquid than if I was to use powdered milk.

No pictures as we devoured the pizza in no time. I must say the pizza smelled, and looked spot on to a pan pizza
from Pizza Hut. We happened to have company over and they agreed that is was very close to PH, and that it was
very very good. This is a keeper, I already have another in the fridge for the super bowl tomorrow.

Mark

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pizza Hut Recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 03:50:31 PM »
Mark,

If all you used was a splash of milk, I wouldn't worry about it. However, if you substituted fresh milk for all or most of the water called for in a dough recipe, then I would scald the milk and let it cool before using. Scalding disables an enzyme in the milk that can adversely affect the performance of the dough. The dry form of milk, and especially the baker's high-heat grade form of dry milk powder, is used mainly by professionals because it is a more convenient form to use. It perhaps also gets around having to deal with concerns of health departments. Bob's Red Mill dry milk powder is a baker's grade product, or so I was told by Bob's Red Mill. I am positive that if Pizza Hut is using a milk product it will not be fresh milk, but rather a dry product. For more on this topic, see Replies 9-12 starting at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5609.msg47756.html#msg47756.

For future reference, you may want to take a look at this Pizza Hut clone thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6040.msg51761.html#msg51761. You will see a post there (Reply 2) in which I provided a link to a scaled-down version of the dough recipe you used to come up with an amount of dough that apparently is used by Pizza Hut itself. These days, I believe the Pizza Hut doughs are delivered to their stores frozen.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 03:56:41 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline mbusse

Re: Pizza Hut Recipe
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 08:51:58 PM »
Thanks for the info Pete.

Mark