Author Topic: How much should dough weigh for a 13 inch pizza?  (Read 3366 times)

Offline Stewart

• I Love Pizza!
How much should dough weigh for a 13 inch pizza?
« on: February 20, 2008, 07:22:34 PM »
I have been making sougdough pizza but am having trouble with the shaping of the dough.
My dough is at least 68% hydration.

When I shape it I have trouble with thin spots. I try to drape the dough over my hands but thats when I get the thin spots.  I was thinking of trying to use a heavier dough. (my weight is about 8 onces).
Is it possible my dough is too wet?
Being this wet is also tricky to slide the dough off the peel onto the stone.
I somtimes put the dough on parchment paper and pull it out after about 45 seconds.
Thanks for all your help!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: How much should dough weigh for a 13 inch pizza?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 08:46:35 PM »
Stewart,

What kind (style) of pizza are you trying to make and what kind of flour are you using? Feel free to post your recipe since that will provide a fuller picture of what you are doing.

Peter

Offline Stewart

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 06:28:25 AM »
I use 3 cups bread flour
1 cup starter
1 table spoon salt
1 cup starter
1 cup water

I do a bulk fermintation where I fold 3 times over 3 hours
I divide up dough and put in the fridge over night and make the pizza the next day
I think it might be the Neapolitan style pizza.
I just use cheese and sauce.

thanks

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 07:36:01 AM »
Stewart,

It is not possible to determine from your recipe whether the dough is too wet without knowing how much water and how much flour are in your starter. You also indicated two cups of starter, unless that was an error. Either way, we would need to know the composition of your starter. Even then, it will be difficult to come up with a good answer because you are using volume measurements, which can throw off the calculations because of the wide variability in the way that different people measure out ingredients by volume.

As far as the amount of dough to use, if you are after a Neapolitan style, at least from the standpoint of crust thickness, I suggest that you use around ten ounces of dough for a 13" pizza.

It is also possible that your salt level is too high. One tablespoon of salt seems a lot for the amount of flour you are using, even including the contribution of the flour in your one or two cups of starter. Too much salt can excessively toughen the gluten matrix in the dough.

Peter

pizzapan