Author Topic: Anyone tried to make a wheat free crust?  (Read 1944 times)

Offline wjfrazior

Anyone tried to make a wheat free crust?
« on: February 21, 2008, 10:36:03 AM »
Hi...I'm new here and love Chicago style pizza.  Thank you all so much for posting your recipes and tips.
I've been telling my brother about the pizzas we have made, and he is very jealous...problem is, his wife
is allergic to wheat.  :(
We are wondering if any of you have encountered the same issue and if you have successfully used flours
other than wheat.  TIA
Jill

Offline DieselAddict

Re: Anyone tried to make a wheat free crust?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 12:10:28 PM »
I have made wheat free bread using a mix of non wheat flours (mostly spelt with some rice flour). The dough strength comes from xanthan gum.

Check out www.bobsredmill.com and look at some of the bread and dough recipes. That will give you a good place to start. I know you are talking pizza here but the thicker pizza has a lot in common with bread.

Here is a picture of a loaf of gluten free bread I made. It had a wonderful taste and the texture was springy and light.

Offline wjfrazior

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 02:49:37 PM »
Thank you for the link....I'll be checking it out.
Your bread looks divine....in fact...it looks so good I think I can actually smell it :)

Offline DieselAddict

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 03:18:17 PM »
Thanks!

The thing I need to mention is the rice flour is high in sugar and will burn easily. But as you can see it lends a very nice color to the crust. I think it would be great in a Chicago style pie.

The only other thing that I've noticed is the bread itself doesn't toast well. It becomes crumbly when you toast it. It does work OK for things like French toast. Again, I suspect it won't be a problem for pizza. Since when does any of that lay around long after baking.

Take pictures when you make your gluten free masterpiece! :)

Offline stymie

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 06:59:06 PM »
This is from the 2008 NAPICS. I have never made it so I can’t be of any help other than to post the recipe. I can say as this is more of a batter that if you are using a mixer the dough hook will be of no use. You'll have to use the flat beater attachment.

Gluten Free Crust Pizza Dough

If you are interested in a gluten free pizza crust/dough, this is a very good starting point. Be aware that this is more like a batter rather than a dough and needs to be par-baked in or on a solid pan. Crust can then be frozen for use later. Pull crust from freezer, top as desired and re-bake to suit desired doneness.

Expandex™ Tapioca Starch   45.72% (Corn Products Corp #160901)
Buffalo™ Corn Starch   14.87% (Corn Products Corp #034010)
Rice Flour, Fine  35.69%
Defatted Soy Flour, Inactive  3.72%
Xanthan Gum   0.93%
Sugar  7.44%
Salt   0.93%
Yeast  (IDY)  1.12%
Powdered Whole Eggs  3.72%  (PWE)
               OR
Liquid Whole Eggs  14.87%  (LWE)
Oil   13.38%
Water (105F variable) if using PWE  58.36%
               OR
Water (105F variable) if using LWE  47.21%

Desired final dough temperature 95F

1.   Add all dry ingredients including powdered eggs (if using) to mixing bowl and blend
2.   Add liquid eggs (if using) and oil to dry blend above
3.   Mix 2-3 minutes @ low speed, it will be dry and crumbly
4.   Add water, mix 2-3 more minutes @ low speed, then mix 2-3 minutes @ medium speed until batter is smooth

Press dough out evenly on oil coated pan (light coating for flat pan, 1/2oz for 10” deep dish pan)
Allow dough to rise in covered pan 1-2 hours

Scale:  397 grams (14oz) for 14” medium thick crust
            312 grams (11oz) for 12” thin crust, after rise par-bake 380F 5.5 minutes
            510 grams (18oz) for 10” thick crust, par-bake 380F 9 minutes