Author Topic: Couple of new topping trys  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Gils

Couple of new topping trys
« on: October 29, 2004, 02:35:28 PM »
I am slowing backdating my reading on the board and I am sure I have missed one that this could go under. Sorry if that's the case. Just wanted to share a couple of pizzas I have done in the past in case anybody was looking for a little different than traditional.

The first one is more of a southwestern. I think this works better on a thinner crust to more similate a mexican bread, and eliminate the bread taking over the flavor.  

Ingredient list is as follows:

1/2-1 boneless chicken breast
oregano
ground cumin
chopped onion
black olives
tortilla chips (yellow or white)
mozzerella cheeze
pepper jack cheeze
chopped garlic (minced in jar works good)
can of favorite green chile verde (enchilada) sauce or homemade if you have

The first thing to do is chop the chicken up into cubes and cook over medium heat sprinkled with oregano & cumin to taste. If you like lots of onion you can add some to the cooking as well. Cook until no longer pink and juices run clear.

Next you want to place your crust on a bed of cornmeal on your pizza peel or screen.  Generously cover with green sauce like you would traditional pizza sauce.  Once this is done crush a handful of tortilla chips to small crumbs and spread over sauce lightly (that's why generous sauce is needed, otherwise will become dry)

Now cover with mozarella cheese to liking and then take a spoon (to tase again) of garlic and lightly spread over cheese. Also sprinkle more ground cumin over garlic

In order place on pizza:
spiced chicken, chopped onion,  & olives.  Can also add red bell peppers if desired.
Top with grated pepper jack cheeze

Slide onto stone or rack in oven set at about 475 or so. Cook for roughly 10-12 minutes or until cheese becomes lightly browned and crust is brown as well.

Serve with sour cream, fresh chopped tomatoes.

The second pizza is a cajun in basis. I noticed a reference to something cajun in another thread.  It works on any crust though I have had it primarily on NY style crust.  Standard cheese, and sauce apply. Top with italian sausage, chopped green pepper, chopped celery, chopped onion and with thawed, drained pizza shrimp. Dust liberally with cajun seasoning and cook according to pizza style. This is kind of a weird one but I found the blend of flavors to be really good together.

Happy Pizza Friday