Thought I'd share a delicious "white" topping that's going into my keeper file. I can't really take too much credit, since it's basically Pizza Bianco's "rosa", somewhat modified.
Ahead of time:
1) Slice a half a large red onion to produce long pieces about 1/8" by 1" or 2". Smoke lightly in maple chips so the onion is beginning to get soft but still white. (Cameron's stovetop smoker is an easy way: smoke 10 minutes using 1t chips. Or bake for 10 minutes in an oven with enough maple chips on a pan, tin foil, or oven bottom to produce smoke.)
2) Mash using mortar and pestle or a fork 1 clove crushed garlic with about 2T crumbled rosemary leaves.
3) Lightly toast about 1/3 c coarsely chopped pistachio pieces (about 1 minute in microwave, or on stovetop skillet.)
When ready to bake:
4) Stretch 250g pizza dough about 12" or 13". (My dough recipe was posted here
5) Lightly spread olive oil over the dough, all but the outer inch, maybe about 2t.
6) Sprinkle on the garlic/rosemary mixture.
7) Spread on the onions.
(You want these to flavor the oil as it cooks.)
8 ) Sprinkle on the pistachios
9) Place on about 5 or 6 pats of fresh mozzarella, a bit less than you use baking a margherita.
10) Sprinkle lightly with good quality grated parmesan.
11) Crumble a little more rosemary and parmesan over the pizza and make final adjustments.
12) Sprinkle about another tablespoon olive oil.
Delicious! I also tried adding some arugula over the top after I took it out of the oven, and it was also good.