Author Topic: how much should dough rise?  (Read 1535 times)

Offline magconpres

how much should dough rise?
« on: March 01, 2008, 01:41:05 PM »
Last week I followed the instructions in this post :
http:
//www.
pizzamaking.com
/forum/index.php/topic,1087.0.
html

The only changes I made were to half the recipe and to convert wieghts to volumes.
the dough probably doubled in volume while in the fridge.  It made enough for two pies, and the family says they're the best yet.

So this week I decide make a full batch, except that this time I bought a scale and weighed the ingredients.

I put the dough in the fridge at about 7 pm last night.  As of 10am this morning, it does not appear to have risen a noticeable amoutn.  For now I took it out of the fridge hoping that it will rise a bit as it warms up.

I have guests tonight, so I'm hoping that it will taste OK whether or not it rises much.

So my questions are:
1)  How much should it rise?
2)  How big an impact will it have on the finished product if it doesn't rise as it should?
3)  is there anything i can do to "fix" it?
4)  What are things that could have gone wrong?  I know I didn't miss the yeast cause I measure everything into little bowls before mixing the ingredients.

For info, I uses KA bread flour, water was at 80F.
I have a Zojirushi bread machine that I can program, so I had it programmed to knead for 8 minutes and turned off the preheat function.

Thanks,

James

Offline magconpres

Re: how much should dough rise?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 01:42:59 PM »
Sorry for the strange formatting of the post url.  For some reason, even though I am logged in, I can't include a link in my post. :-\

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 01:46:17 PM »
Sorry for the strange formatting of the post url.  For some reason, even though I am logged in, I can't include a link in my post. :-\

You can't include links until you have posted 5 times. This policy has been very effective in reducing spam on this board.

Here is the link:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1087.0.html

Bill/SFNM

Offline magconpres

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 01:47:07 PM »
Fair enough.  I'm all for reducing SPAM.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 02:16:49 PM »
magconpres,

It's hard to answer your questions without knowing more about the finished dough temperature when the dough was removed from the bread machine and went into the refrigerator. However, since the dough hasn't risen that much while in the refrigerator, I suspect that the finished dough temperature was not all that high. The fact that the dough hasn't risen as much as your last dough batch shouldn't be a major concern if you did everything right in preparing the dough. It is quite common for a cold feremented dough not to rise all that much while it is refrigerated. However, it should rise when brought out to room temperature. Usually, I allow a couple of hours of warm-up time before working with the dough. It should still be usable for about another three or four hours. So, you may not want to leave the dough out all day. If you see that the dough is rising and getting softer to the touch, you can return the dough to the refrigerator until you are ready to use it. It can then be brought back to room temperature.

I don't see that you did anything "wrong" or that there is anything you can do at this point beyond getting the dough to warm up sufficiently before using.

Peter

Offline magconpres

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 02:44:08 PM »
Thanks Pete,

I'm feeling better about this.  The dough is defniitely getting softer and appears to be rising a bit.  If it starts to take off, I'll put it back in the fridge until 3 hours before I I plan to start making the pies.

Gotta say this is a great site.  My pizza making has improved dramatically with what I've learned in these forums.