Author Topic: PSTK pans + olive oil =???  (Read 2203 times)

Offline russILNC

PSTK pans + olive oil =???
« on: February 20, 2008, 04:34:24 PM »
Hi all,
I just signed up for this forum, but have used it as a resource for a couple years. As a transplant to North Carolina from the Chicago suburbs, I'm just so appreciative of the great recipes I've found here that nearly duplicate my favorite deep-dish Chicago pizzas. My wife and I thank you!

My question is this: I've just received my first true pizza pan, the PSTK-coated type from Pizzatools, which I learned about here. But I got worried when I opened the box and read the usage instructions. They include the statement, "Do not use olive oil or any soy based seasoning agents!" They suggestion using PAM or other canola oils if sticking occurs. I had read this statement on their web site as well, but thought it applied only to their bare aluminum pans.

Well, as you know, several of the deep-dish recipes here call for ample olive oil in the pan bottom to essentially "fry" a crisp crust.
So... what gives? I know people here use the PSTK pans; do you use olive oil in them? What happens?

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
Re: PSTK pans + olive oil =???
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 09:19:55 PM »
I use Crisco almost all of the time. Also, Butter Flavored Crisco works well with the buttercrust dough I make. I have found out that if you use liquid oils in the pan for a Chicago Style Deep Dish dough, It is hard to spread the dough out without having the oil come up on the sides of the pan.

Goose
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 09:23:10 PM »
I have pizzatools.com cutter pans and disks with the same PSTK coatings and use them with oil. I just wash them with soap and warm water after using them.

Peter

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 09:33:06 PM »
After realizing what I have posted a few posts up... DUHH.. I meant to post that I have the same pan, but use Crisco (which is has soy in the ingredients) and after I use it, use a mild dishsoap and dry it good so you don't leave water spots.

Goose
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline Za guy

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 07:20:56 PM »
I know!  I just bought two 10" pans and really struggled with that warning.  How can that be right?!  I almost posted the exact same question, but opted for just using Canola oil for now.  But I'd really like to know what the issue is there.  Is it possible that EVOO has more acid than the other oils and that it harms that coating?  I like EVOO, so this bothers me.  Otherwise, I like my 10" pans just fine.  I seasoned mine with Canola oil and there was zero sticking on my first use of the pans.  Does pizzatools have a Q+A forum or something to inquire further?

good luck,

Za guy

PS:  I just checked their web-site and found a way to inquire, so I asked them about it.  I'll copy their reply here once I get it.

Hi all,
I just signed up for this forum, but have used it as a resource for a couple years. As a transplant to North Carolina from the Chicago suburbs, I'm just so appreciative of the great recipes I've found here that nearly duplicate my favorite deep-dish Chicago pizzas. My wife and I thank you!

My question is this: I've just received my first true pizza pan, the PSTK-coated type from Pizzatools, which I learned about here. But I got worried when I opened the box and read the usage instructions. They include the statement, "Do not use olive oil or any soy based seasoning agents!" They suggestion using PAM or other canola oils if sticking occurs. I had read this statement on their web site as well, but thought it applied only to their bare aluminum pans.

Well, as you know, several of the deep-dish recipes here call for ample olive oil in the pan bottom to essentially "fry" a crisp crust.
So... what gives? I know people here use the PSTK pans; do you use olive oil in them? What happens?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:34:01 PM by Za guy »

Offline russILNC

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 08:05:39 PM »
I called customer support at Pizzatools and asked about the no-olive-or-soy-oil warning and they assured me it wasn't a health or safety issue, and wouldn't hurt the pans. They told me it's simply to avoid excessive smoke.

So I tried my favorite Gino's-type recipe in my new pan with OO, and Pizzatools was right -- these pans get very hot! I didn't have problems with excessive smoke, but the crust got way too brown very quickly -- before the center toppings were cooked through. The pizza wasn't ruined, but I'm going to have to do some time/temp adjustments.

Thanks for the info, everyone!
Russ   

Offline Za guy

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 07:19:40 PM »
Thanks for that info.  I made some pies last night, so the info was handy.  I used mainly corn oil on the pan and crust and it worked out real well.

Jim

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 11:34:42 AM »
I have not needed to use any sort of oil or seasoning on the PSTK pans.  I thought that was the point of PSTK!
Patrick

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 01:23:36 PM »
I have not needed to use any sort of oil or seasoning on the PSTK pans.  I thought that was the point of PSTK!

That is generally true but there are some pizza styles, such as pan pizzas, Greek/pub pizzas, and some deep-dish pizzas, that use a lot of oil in the pan to create a "fried" effect where the oil becomes a part of the pizza in addition to serving as a lubricant. I have also found that using some oil in the pan helps produce a nicer bottom crust color for crispy and cracker-style pizzas.

A collateral benefit of a pan with the PSTK pan is that it is also dark. So, even if no oil is used in the pan, you still get the improved heat transfer characteristics of the pan. Otherwise, you have to use a well seasoned pan without the PSTK type of coating.

Peter