Author Topic: Crusr sticking to pan  (Read 1557 times)

Offline holdem

• I Love Pizza!
Crusr sticking to pan
« on: February 01, 2008, 02:41:24 PM »
I was thinking of making a deep dish pizza for a super bowl party I'm going to. I have an aluminum pan and was wondering if I could use cornmeal in it to keep it from sticking. I've used crisco in the past but trying to cut some fat out of the diet.

Offline MysticCobra

Re: Crusr sticking to pan
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 03:09:51 PM »
I've used crisco in the past but trying to cut some fat out of the diet.
<Peer pressure mode ON/off>  Boo!  Hiss!  Removing fat removes flavor, and makes the pizza less interesting!  Stick with the fat!!<Peer pressure mode on/OFF>

Seriously, in addition to keeping the crust from sticking to the pan, the fat will help fry the outside of the crust and give it a golden, crunchy look and feel. 

I've never cooked a pan pizza before, but applying experience from other breads and other things cooked in hot dark pans, I would guess that you might get a darker, drier, more "loaf-of-bread-like" crust if you cut out all the fat.  Depending on how hot and how long you cooked it, you might also run a higher risk of actually burning the crust (and/or the cornmeal).

Like I said, though, that's just speculation on my part.  Hopefully, other folks who have actually cooked a variety of pan pizzas will weigh in to give you better info based on actual experience.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 03:17:51 PM »
Most deep-dish doughs/crusts already contain a lot of fat/oil, from about 8% to around 30% in some cases, so omitting the fat in the deep-dish pan isn't going to mean all that much if reducing the total fat is your objective. You might try using a light coating of an oil spray, like Pam.

I'd be more concerned about your aluminum pan. If it is a shiny one or not seasoned, you may end up with a crust that is too light. Such a pan reflects heat rather than absorbing it.

Peter

Offline MysticCobra

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 04:20:06 PM »
Doh!  Didn't notice aluminum pan.  As usual, listen to Pete--he knows his stuff.  (And reads the messages before he answers!)

Offline holdem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 03:47:47 PM »
Yep, it's an aluminum pan. I have a regular pan like that. Your right it won't brown the  crust at all. Thanks.

Offline holdem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 08:09:41 PM »
I made a deep dish tonight. I bought a dark colored 9" pie pan and used shortening to make sure it didn't stick. It turned out very well. I'm sure no expert on this type of pizza. Not sure if I've ever had one. I've had pizza hut deep dish but I don't know if that counts.

Offline spooky

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 10:52:35 AM »
Another suggestion:  spray the pan with Baker's Joy.  Nothing sticks with that stuff.
I learned about it when I worked in the bakery at the main cafeteria in college (while
working on my BS in electronics/telecom).  Chef insisted that there was absolutely
no substitute.  Everyone I've ever talked to who has used it (myself included) says
the same thing.  Note that it's not a general-purpose non-stick spray---it's designed
(as the name implies) specifically for baking.

PS:  I don't have any connection with Baker's Joy or the company that makes it.
      I just use the stuff.

Offline holdem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 08:25:42 PM »
Where do you get it?

Offline spooky

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 08:43:51 PM »
Where do you get it?

Grocery store...should be with the cooking sprays.  If one store doesn't carry
it, chances are the others in town will.....  There's only one store around here
that doesn't carry it anymore (well, they only carry it around the holidays now),
and the manager for that section was just as ticked off about it as I was...but
that's Albertsons for you...if they can't keep it in stock because they keep
selling out of it (and the manager I talked to confirmed that they couldn't restock
it fast enough, even before the holidays), they solve the problem by not carrying
it anymore.