Author Topic: Healthier Pizza dough.  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Squirrelman

Healthier Pizza dough.
« on: May 10, 2008, 04:07:02 PM »
 I'm trying to make a healthier dough recipe. I just made a test dough to try out using the following numbers:

66g KA Whole Wheat Flour
66g KA Bread Flour
2g Yeast
100g hot water
2g kosher salt
2g Honey

I'm going to let this proof in the refrigerator for 2 or 3 days and see how it comes out. I mixed the flours both for a better texture and because the bread flour has a lot of nutrients the whole doesn't have. Though I would think the whole would have more, it has more dietary fiber and 1-2 other nutrients but its missing like 3 that the bread has, maybe they add nutrients to their bread flour.

Anyway the thing I noticed is the bread flour and the Whole wheat flour have the same amount of calories, though the bread has 5 calories from fat and I think it was 1g of fat. Not much of a difference. Anyone know if there are any lower calorie flours? When I go to the store Monday I plan to check some of the nutrition labels but otherwise I dunno if there are any.

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
Re: Healthier Pizza dough.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 03:41:50 PM »
For a refrigerated dough, cool water is normally better, to avoid over-fermentation.  If using ADY, use just enough warm water to hydrate the yeast.

If you look at the ingredients list on the refined flour bag, it will probably show enrichment with several vitamins and iron.  They are required, by regulation, to make up for refining losses.  However, the folic acid is actually well above the natural whole wheat level.

The nutrition data on the bag is not very accurate, partly because of rounding.  If you go to the King Arthur website, you will find more detailed information.  It shows that whole wheat has somewhat fewer calories.   

cb

Offline Squirrelman

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 07:30:39 PM »
 Sorry the hot water was sort of a typo. I used hot water to dissolve the salt and honey then let it cool.

Offline Squirrelman

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 05:46:27 PM »
 I made it about a week ago, the dough wasn't bad. I want to try letting it proof longer this time though, it had a nice crunch but wasn't as airy as I'd of liked.
 The toppings were the problem. Too much tomato, But November warned me about that before, Also I don't think the tomatoes were ripe because after I boiled them and peeled the skin off some were hard in the middle. I couldn't taste the feta but thats probably because it had to much tomato. I also overdid the seasoning.

I was wondering The tomatoes by me this time of year generally look bad, Vine Ripe tomatoes are generally the best by me, Plum usually aren't so good. But as far as I can tell Plum are best for tomatoes, since the vine ripe are much higher quality by me should I use them instead?

I am going to try this again in a few days with some changes.

pizzapan