Using the information provided by Y-TOWN (thank you, Richard), I replicated his flour and water measuring methods, converted the rest of the ingredients from volumes to weights, and, with the help of the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html
, I came up with the dough formulation presented below. In doing all of the calculations, I used two tablespoons of honey, just as you did. I also used the King Arthur bread flour to come up with the number (20.85 oz.) for the weight of that flour. The water came to 13.20 oz. Here is the dough formulation:
|King Arthur bread Flour (100%):|
Olive Oil (4.56778%):
|591.1 g | 20.85 oz | 1.3 lbs|
374.22 g | 13.2 oz | 0.83 lbs
7.09 g | 0.25 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.35 tsp | 0.78 tbsp
8.37 g | 0.3 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.5 tsp | 0.5 tbsp
27 g | 0.95 oz | 0.06 lbs | 6 tsp | 2 tbsp
41.96 g | 1.48 oz | 0.09 lbs | 6 tsp | 2 tbsp
1049.74 g | 37.03 oz | 2.31 lbs | TF = N/A
One thing you may want to note, although I don't think it was a factor in the problem you experienced, is that the total effective hydration of the above formulation is a bit greater than the 63.31% number given in the above table. That is because of the use of honey, which itself contains water--about 17%. Adding the water in the honey to the formula water expressed in the above table, gives us a total effective hydration of 64.53%. Both of the hydration numbers--63.31% and 64.53%--appear to be credible numbers for the KA bread flour. If Richard ever decides to weigh the flour in the modified dough formulation, as well as the water, then it should be possible to make adjustments to the dough formulation numbers, if warranted.
Initially, I thought that the large amount of honey may have been a factor in the problem you experienced. However, 7.10% honey, while a large number, is not way out of range. In fact, it is a level that is often used in American style dough formulations. With three tablespoons of honey, the percent increases to 10.65%. However, I have seen some Papa John's dough clones with a total sugar/honey content close to that, although I seriously doubt that Papa John's uses such a high level. But, in any event, I am inclined to believe that the high amount of honey was not responsible for the problems you experienced.
I am now inclined to agree with you that the dough was not kneaded long enough, particularly in the context of making a same-day, few-hours dough. For that situation, I think you need far more than 3 minutes knead time for a bit over 37 ounces of dough. In Richard's case, he cold fermented his dough for a few days, which allowed sufficient biochemical activity over that time to complete the gluten development, rather than physically in his stand mixer. I would think that you need about 8-10 minutes at around speed 2 in a basic KitchenAid stand mixer with a C-hook. I am somewhat making an educated guess on the knead time because I rarely make 37 ounces of dough. So, you should pay close attention to the condition of the dough. You want it to be smooth with few surface irregularities, cohesive, pliable, and a bit on the tacky side. Doughs with honey usually perform well in the mixer bowl (the honey imparts good rheology to the dough), so I think you will be able to tell when the dough has been kneaded enough.
I believe your guess on the use of ADY may have been close to the correct amount but I would have to know exactly how much you used to be sure. To convert from 1.20% IDY to ADY in the above dough formulation, you would need 1.598% ADY. That converts to just under 2 1/2 t. of ADY, which is not much more volumetrically than the amount of IDY specified in the above table (a bit over 2 1/3 t.). The difference is not enough to have been a factor in your results.
I also do not think that fermenting your dough on your stove was a factor in your results. Nor do I think that using your microwave unit as a proofing box is deleterious to the dough--or to you--in any way, and especially if you cover the dough bowl while the dough ferments, as Richard instructs. Until I made a separate proofing box, followed later by an MR-138 ThermoKool unit, I used my microwave unit as a proofing box many times.
If you decide to tackle Richard's dough recipe again and you don't see improvement, please let us know. It will also help to keep notes of what you do in case they are needed for diagnostic purposes.