Author Topic: Where to buy Caputo Flour  (Read 13007 times)

Offline ilforno343

Where to buy Caputo Flour
« on: March 04, 2008, 11:57:35 PM »
I live in San Diego. Does anyone know where I can buy Caputo Flour instore or on-line?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Where to buy Caputo Flour
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 08:07:14 AM »
ilforno343,

I assume that you are referring to the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour, which is the Caputo flour that is most often recommended for pizza dough. If so, one of the few places that I am aware of that sells the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour at the retail level in small bags (5 lbs., repackaged) is PennMac, at http://www.pennmac.com/page/27. PennMac also sells the 55 lb. bags of the Caputo Pizzeria flour but, with shipping costs to San Diego, the total cost will be very high.

Another source for the 55-lb. bag is the chefswarehouse, at http://www.chefswarehouse.com/Search/SearchResult.aspx?KeyString=Caputo. Again, there will be fairly stiff shipping charges to San Diego, although I didnít compare their total cost against PennMacís. Another possibility is to see if there is a foodservice company near you that stocks the Caputo Pizzeria flour (55-lb. bags only) and is willing to sell to you on a cash-and-carry basis. Most donít but it canít hurt to ask. If there is a pizza establishment near you that uses that flour in their business, they may also be willing to sell you some or order a large bag for you.

Peter

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 03:14:43 PM »
Is Caputo Pizzeria flour worth the $$$ and hassle to obtain it? I think I would have an easier time buying illicit drugs in Portland OR.

I have contacted Orlando Foods, Merlino in Seattle, ITALFOODS in SF, Pastaworks in Portland and the bottom line is a 7 hour roundtrip to Seattle (no thanks) or $35 or so in UPS costs.

So I ask again is it really that much better than other Italian 00 or American flours?

Appreciate opinions - TIA

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 04:40:13 PM »
So I ask again is it really that much better than other Italian 00 or American flours?

Pizza_Not_War,

It ultimately comes down to a matter of personal taste and personal preference. However, to get the full benefits of using 00 flours, I think one should use a very high temperature oven for which the 00 flours are better adapted. I have used 00 flours in a home oven environment, both alone and combined with other flours, and have gotten good results but it takes a lot of work and modification of dough formulations and preparation/baking protocols to get those results. And those results will not be as good as those using very high temperature ovens.

Based on the fact that the Caputo 00 flours are the most popular among pizza operators in the U.S. who specialize in the Neapolitan style, especially the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour, I think it is safe to say that the Caputo flours are the best available in the U.S. at this time. The San Felice 00 flour has gained popularity recently, although it still far lags the Caputo flours in its adoption by pizza operators. Also, the San Felice 00 flour comes only in 55-lb. bags and only through foodservice companies or the importer. No doubt other brands of 00 flour can be used, and there are several on the market, but they are very low volume products and not in the same category as the Caputo flours from a quality and performance standpoint. The lesser brands may appeal to some simply because they are less expensive in many cases. But it is very hard to beat the Caputo flours on quality.

It's hard to compare the 00 flours with American flours because they are vastly different flours with different characteristics and specs. To make an authentic Neapolitan pizza, one would use only 00 flours (and a very high temperature oven). It is possible to make a Neapolitan "style" pizza using domestic flours, and there are several dough recipes that call for using domestic flours, but they will be vastly different from those made using 00 flours. In some instances, one might even like the domestic versions better--again, usually as a matter of personal preference. Many people combine the two types of flour, either because of personal taste preferences or because the blends bake up better in certain ovens, even high temperature ones.

I often suggest that members order a small bag or two of the Caputo Pizzeria flour from PennMac and try the flour out to see if they like it and it otherwise meets their needs. That way, they don't end up with a large (55-lb.) bag of flour to use up if they conclude that it doesn't suit their purposes. For those who like the Caputo Pizzeria flour, it will always be a problem getting the larger bag, for the reasons earlier mentioned. For that reason, some of the members purchase the Caputo Extra Blu 00 flour, which is a lower protein 00 flour. There are several retail and a few online sources for that flour.

Peter

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 11:31:49 PM »
Pete-zza,

Thanks for the reply. Your posts are never short on details. I am going to take the plunge and buy a 25Kg bag of Caputo. Worst case scenario is I will have to feed the entire neighborhood with bad pizza if I can't get it to work correctly for me.

The pizza I made today was far superior to anything I have every made before and should probably stop with that formula, but I can't quit just yet. I made an experimental batch of 50% mix of white bread flour and whole wheat pastry flour. Seems like it will be too wet for me to handle, but I am going to attack it in 3 days or so. Is this a mix that you know of anyone trying before? Do I stand a chance? LOL

Thanks again

PNW

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 08:26:42 AM »
PNW,

In a prior life, I did a lot of writing, to people I did not know but had to inform, educate and convince, so my writing style developed for that audience. Since I didn't know who my audience was, I also tried to anticipate questions in advance and to answer them in advance. Most people don't write like that, but rather assume an informed audience, or are simply oblivious to their audience or their needs. I also had bosses who insisted on perfect documents, especially if the documents would then go to their bosses, and would send them back if there were errors or they were poorly written. I learned to pay as much attention to that aspect of my writing as I do the content. Most of my errors are errors that the spellcheck doesn't pick up.

As for your question on the blend of bread flour and pastry flour, I would say that the combined protein content for a 50/50 blend is around 11%. If you used a hydration of above 60%, you could experience wetness in the dough. It is common, however, to blend flours as you did to simulate 00 flour. Usually the ratios are more like 3:1 to 5:1 base flour to pastry (or cake) flour.

Peter

Offline dzpiez

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 01:48:45 AM »
You can get a 55lb bag Caputo Tipo 00 Pizzeria flour for $48 plus shipping at Fornobravo.com   

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 10:05:56 AM »
You can get a 55lb bag Caputo Tipo 00 Pizzeria flour for $48 plus shipping at Fornobravo.com   

I suggest that one check out the total price, including shipping, from Chefs Warehouse at http://www.chefswarehouse.com/Search/SearchResult.aspx?KeyString=caputo. I believe that they have a fixed shipping charge. That might make chefswarehouse a better choice for long distances.

Peter

Offline biondoli

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 10:08:43 AM »
Hello everybody I am new in the forum....in the process to finish my wood oven mainly for pizza and bread.
I read this post and am interested to know if anybody bought Caputo flour from this shop and their opinion.
PennMac, pennmac.com/page/27.
The reason is that I have been there last year and they have so many expired products that you cannot even imagine. I did ask "Dept of Drug and Food adm." and they said that in the US there is no law that forbid the sale of such products. I understand that for many products it does not make much difference, like canned food and others, but I am concerned about flour which is very delicate and sensitive to time.... thanks Carlo

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 12:38:20 PM »
Carlo,

The only place I am aware of that sells the Caputo Pizzeria 00 flour in small quantities (repackaged) is Penn Mac. There may well be others, but PennMac is the only name that I can recall. So, you will be at the mercy of that situation as far as freshness of the flour is concerned. For the freshest flour, you will have to find a source that sells the flour in 55-lb. bags, either directly from a distributor that stocks the Caputo flours and will sell some to you as a private individual, or from one of the online sources.

Other items, such as canned tomatoes, have a longer shelf life. My recollection is that Escalon recommends two years for its 6-in-1 tomatoes.

Peter

Offline biondoli

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 01:47:50 PM »
Thanks Peter, this coming Saturday a friend of mine is going personally there (he lives in Pitts) to check it out, especially the 55lb bag that's what I need I wouldn't go for the repackaged...we use it a lot.
Thanks ciao Carlo

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 07:50:03 PM »
If any of you live on Long Island, Di Carlo Distributors right off the LIE exit 64 sells Caputo but only in the big 50 lb. bag.
Trosenberg

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 09:36:37 PM »
Surfas in Los Angeles sells it in repackaged bags but sometimes they run out...they are also, quite expensive compared to Pennmac, but shipping (west coast) is cheaper.:

https://www.surfasonline.com/products/39082.cfm

They also stock La Bella Tomatoes and a slew of other great products.

Also, in LA,  ItalGourmet Foods, Inc, which is a food wholesaler selling direct to the public.  They have the 50 lb. bags for pickup if you're in the area.  They also stock the Grande cheese product line, though you're buying a pretty hefty minimum quantity...They are here:

http://www.alliancebn.com/index.html
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 02:04:10 AM »
In Boston Capone foods sells repackaged 5lb bags of caputo pizzeria flour. They will also do mail order, although it is not listed on their website. http://www.caponefoods.com/

pizzapan