Author Topic: Thin Crust Pizza  (Read 866 times)

Offline wildfire

• Food Service Warehouse
Thin Crust Pizza
« on: March 06, 2008, 03:43:50 PM »
How can you tell if the dough for a thin crust is too thin (and will burn, be crackery, etc)?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Thin Crust Pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 09:19:21 PM »
wildfire,

I don't think that thinness of a dough skin is a particularly good indicator or predictor of whether it will burn or end up cracker-like. What I consider to be more important is what is in the dough. For example, a dough with a lot of water and oil (or other fat) in relation to the amount of flour can be rolled out very thinly and be baked at rather high oven temperatures and for a fairly long time without burning or becoming cracker-like. On the other hand, a dough with a low amount of water and low-to-modest amounts of oil in relation to the amount of flour can burn or become cracker-like when rolled out to the same thickness and baked under the same set of oven conditions. I have also discovered that dough skins in the second category that are pre-baked before dressing can end up overly cracker-like and possibly burn if they are pre-baked for too long. It will usually be experience and practice that will tell you how thin to roll out the dough skin and how long and at what temperature to pre-bake it.

The amount of cheese and number and types of toppings will also be factors in whether a thin crust, including pre-baked ones, will burn or become cracker-like. Too much cheese and too many toppings, especially wet ones like veggies and raw meats, can lead to the bottom of the crust burning and/or becoming cracker-like before the rest of the pizza has finished baking. The same thing can happen if the dough contains a lot of sugar and the pizza is baked on a pizza stone.

As you can see, there are many factors involved besides the thinness of the dough skin that have to be taken into account.

Peter