Author Topic: Deep dish attempt - not crispy and too bread like  (Read 396 times)

Offline michaeljc70

• I Love Pizza!
Deep dish attempt - not crispy and too bread like
« on: April 19, 2016, 01:37:40 PM »
I attempted a Chicago (Giordano's specifically) style deep dish. It was good, but the crust was too bready and thick. 

I used the dough recipe below (I found it elsewhere, but believe it is from someone on this site) and used 4 cups of flour. I kneaded it only for a minute or so.  I used a 14" steel deep dish pan and baked at 425 for around 40 minutes.

I did let it rise overnight in the fridge and am not sure if that affected it (it called for a 6 hour room temp rise).

I guess my question is, is the recipe bad or did I do something wrong?  What is the proper # of cups of flour for a 14" pan?

1 cup all-purpose flour
6-7 Tablespoons water
3 Tablespoons oil
3/4 teaspoon yeast
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use Kosher salt)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 01:48:27 PM by michaeljc70 »

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
Re: Deep dish attempt - not crispy and too bread like
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 07:35:33 PM »
I attempted a Chicago (Giordano's specifically) style deep dish. It was good, but the crust was too bready and thick. 

I used the dough recipe below (I found it elsewhere, but believe it is from someone on this site) and used 4 cups of flour. I kneaded it only for a minute or so.  I used a 14" steel deep dish pan and baked at 425 for around 40 minutes.

I did let it rise overnight in the fridge and am not sure if that affected it (it called for a 6 hour room temp rise).

I guess my question is, is the recipe bad or did I do something wrong?  What is the proper # of cups of flour for a 14" pan?

1 cup all-purpose flour
6-7 Tablespoons water
3 Tablespoons oil
3/4 teaspoon yeast
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use Kosher salt)

Above you say 4 cups and below you say 1 cup.
For the other amounts you listed, it's probably supposed to be somewhere around 3 cups of flour.
If your dough is too "bready",
I'll guess that you may have over-kneaded your dough, or baked at too low of a temperature.
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline michaeljc70

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 08:01:34 PM »
Above you say 4 cups and below you say 1 cup.
For the other amounts you listed, it's probably supposed to be somewhere around 3 cups of flour.
If your dough is too "bready",
I'll guess that you may have over-kneaded your dough, or baked at too low of a temperature.

To clarify, the recipe is for 1 cup of flour and I quadrupled everything.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 10:12:44 PM »
Get a kitchen scale.  Volumetric recipes are a waste of your time, money, and effort.

Then follow one of the tried-and-true recipes here, like Ed's (i.e., VCB, who replied already in this thread).  That way, you'll learn the Dao of Deep Dish.  His recipe will take you through everything you need to do to make great piza consistently, time and time again.

And from there, it's all you, baby.  Get the basics down and then work from there.  Welcome to the forum!

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 10:46:11 AM »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

wordpress