Author Topic: Good golly...we are almost home free  (Read 6528 times)

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
Re: Good golly...we are almost home free
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2014, 04:51:34 AM »
love that last shot with it hanging over the plate!  this should be the new standard shot for crust rigidity!!  from the looks, I like mine a little more crisp.  but that's such a personal opinion.  i'd pay good money for that pizza!  looks fabulous!  great job!!

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2014, 03:06:31 PM »
love that last shot with it hanging over the plate!  this should be the new standard shot for crust rigidity!!  from the looks, I like mine a little more crisp.  but that's such a personal opinion.  i'd pay good money for that pizza!  looks fabulous!  great job!!

I appreciate the kind words MrMojo.  Getting the thickness correct is key as well.  If it's too thin it tastes totally different.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2014, 09:53:57 PM »
Another attempt tonight reinforced my point that a 4:30 bake time at 500F w/convection is the money spot for this dough.  Heavy toppings = more time in the oven and means a harder crust.  Next time I may try moving to a screen after 4:30 on stone to see if it's still how I like it.

Nate

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2014, 10:07:22 PM »
Another attempt tonight reinforced my point that a 4:30 bake time at 500F w/convection is the money spot for this dough.  Heavy toppings = more time in the oven and means a harder crust.  Next time I may try moving to a screen after 4:30 on stone to see if it's still how I like it.

Nate
That is one delicious looking pie with a very popular topping combo atop....we could make money wit dat!  :chef:

May sound backward but I have seen surprisingly good results with doing the opposite...start on screen then transfer.  ;)
 Makes for a fool proof launch with our under paid help too.   ;D

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2014, 08:04:38 PM »
I`m making this tonight....my Good Golly better be jolly, good ole Nate !!   ;D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:13:46 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pythonic

« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2014, 08:38:30 PM »
I`m making this tonight....my Good Golly better be jolly, good ole Nate !!   ;D

Lol

Online cc2323

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2014, 02:23:17 PM »
I've made this dough 3 times over the past week and give it a big time thumbs up. Chicago thin happens to be my favorite style if I had to choose. In the past I've always used vegetable oil instead of corn when a recipe called for it just out of laziness, but I wanted to be spot on with this recipe so picked some up. Glad I did, it is thinner than other oils, it made working the dough super easy.

The first pic was just an 8 hour or so room temp rise. I did the red sauce, but swapped marjoram for fennel because I'm not wild about fennel. Green pepper, black olive, white onion. About 4 ounces of part skim mozz/provolone (80-20). In order to fill a 14" pan I had to roll it quite thin. I don't have a convection oven setting, so just did 500 degrees for 7 minutes. It was great.

Second pic was same dough, but left in the fridge for 2 days. Prepped the oven at 525, with a plan to stretch it by hand and cook on steel. I might not have left it out for long enough though, it was still pretty cool to the touch, and harder to stretch. Toppings were alfredo sauce, mustard greens, shrimp (pre-broiled with olive oil n' garlic parsley for 4 minutes). Cheese was provolone/parmesan (70/30). 6 minute bake. It turned out more New York style in that it was thin + big cornice, but sooooo tasty. Fresh basil and marash pepper flakes post bake really tied the flavors together. Home run!

Offline pythonic

« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2014, 02:28:11 PM »
Your pizzas look great.  Glad you like the dough.

Nate

Offline vic311

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2014, 02:05:29 PM »
Best thin crust yet.  Just need to find a better mozzarella (preferably a saltier one) and a provolone or white cheddar combo.

200g KAAP
94g water (47%)
10g corn oil (5%)
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp IDY

Sauce:
6 in 1 crushed tomatoes
Salt
Black pepper
Sugar
Onion powder
Granulated garlic
Basil
Oregano
Pulverized fennel seed
Parm

Cheese:  9.5oz sorrento wmm, Kraft parm under sauce and sprinkled more right out of the oven.

25 minute (quarry tile) preheat at 500F, 4:30 bake.

Tip 1:  I am convinced that docking these pizzas absolutely ruins the texture.  Never again.
Tip 2:  If using pepperoni put it under the cheese so the greases mix evenly with the cheese, sauce and crust.

Nate,

Have you ever tried Mancuso cheese from Joliet?  I picked up a brick of their mozzarella a couple of weeks ago  and it has made a huge difference in the quality of my pizzas.

Joel

Offline pythonic

« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2014, 11:07:40 AM »
Nate,

Have you ever tried Mancuso cheese from Joliet?  I picked up a brick of their mozzarella a couple of weeks ago  and it has made a huge difference in the quality of my pizzas.

Joel

Joel,

No I didn't even know they made mozzarella.  I have tried their ricotta though.  Where can I pick some up in Joliet?

Nate

Offline vic311

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2014, 11:38:37 AM »
Here you go Nate:

612 Mills Rd.
Joliet, IL 60433
815-722-2475

It is a tiny little shop attached to the factory.  Hopefully you will agree the cheese is very good.  I also picked up a can of the Stanislaus pizza sauce (I have gotten very frustrated with making my own sauce) and that was very tasty also.

Joel

Offline pythonic

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2014, 01:31:53 PM »
Thanks Joel.  I will give it a shot.

Offline Ben Miller

• Pizza Enthusiast
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2014, 10:21:19 PM »
I made this pizza a few weeks ago and it was SO amazing.  Being two hours south of Chicago, I have to drive up there every time I want Malnati's, etc.  We have a Rosati's down here, but it seems like I need a third mortgage on my house to get a large pie.

I'd like to see how this improves the flavor by sticking it in the fridge for a day or two...  When would be the best time to start cooling it down?   After the first 2 hour room temp rise?

Thanks again for this one... it's awesome.  Now I need to perfect a signature sauce.  (and I'm thinking about driving 90 minutes north to get some cheese for Joliet!)

Offline vic311

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2014, 08:13:20 AM »
The cheese might be worth the trip to Joliet.  They also have a good selection of canned tomato products:  7/11, tomato magic, alta cucina etc.  I picked up a lb of scamorza the last time I was there and added 2 oz with the 8 oz of mozz I normally use and the pizza was fantastic!!!

Joel

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2014, 09:22:12 AM »
I made this pizza a few weeks ago and it was SO amazing.  Being two hours south of Chicago, I have to drive up there every time I want Malnati's, etc.  We have a Rosati's down here, but it seems like I need a third mortgage on my house to get a large pie.

I'd like to see how this improves the flavor by sticking it in the fridge for a day or two...  When would be the best time to start cooling it down?   After the first 2 hour room temp rise?

Thanks again for this one... it's awesome.  Now I need to perfect a signature sauce.  (and I'm thinking about driving 90 minutes north to get some cheese for Joliet!)
Ben where you at in illinois? I'm bloomington  area

Offline Ben Miller

• Pizza Enthusiast
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2014, 09:28:23 AM »
I'm in Normal... lol. 

Offline pythonic

« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2014, 09:44:59 AM »

Glad you liked the pie.  Yes a 2hr room temp rise and into the fridge should be fine.  For the sauce check out Garvey's recipe.   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17662.0.html

Now if you like Malnatis you've come to the right place.  We have them beat.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,30152.0.html

Nate
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:47:35 AM by pythonic »

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2014, 10:33:33 AM »
Small world neighnor. Nate has helped me out on my journey.
I forsee An illinois pizza summit in the making!!!

Offline Ben Miller

• Pizza Enthusiast
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2014, 06:02:18 PM »
So I made 4x the recipe this morning.  I started it at 9:00am and had meetings all day. I pulled it out at 3:30.... But our house is pretty cold right now (approx 66 degrees).... I punched it down and reformed it into a ball and stuck it in the fridge.   Not sure if I'm baking tomorrow or Saturday.   I'm really looking forward to it!