Author Topic: Generic Chicago Thin Crust  (Read 65975 times)

Offline CDNpielover

Re: Generic Chicago Thin Crust
« Reply #240 on: April 02, 2011, 01:09:49 PM »
also with regards to the edge, you'll see in the V&N video that when they cut the pizza edge, it results in an almost "pinched" edge, so that the camber is opposite what you find on most pies that have a rimmed edge...  i.e., things aren't contained to the center and might even have a tendency to slide off the edge during cooking.  this might play a big role in how the edges turn out.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 01:11:42 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #241 on: April 02, 2011, 03:10:19 PM »
CDNpielover,

You can see what a cutter pan looks like at http://www.pizzatools.com/Cutter_Pans/30870/subgrouping.htm (nonperforated) and http://www.pizzatools.com/Cutter_Pans_Perforated/30871/subgrouping.htm (perforated). With the cutter pan, you can also go right to the outer edge with sauce, cheese and toppings. My cutter pans are the dark, anodized (PSTK) ones.

Peter

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #242 on: April 02, 2011, 07:12:33 PM »
Hi Everyone! Well. I haven't been on the site for quite some time, because I've been launching Vito & Nicks II frozen line of pizzas. What a learning experience! We've got it nailed and you cannot tell the difference from the frozen product to the Restaurant product!

Still has the "Cracker Crust" and we use all natural ingredients. All USDA approved and sales are outstanding.

If anyone has questions, email me, if the powers at be agree. I'll do my best to answer them.

This site has and always will be a wealth of great information to all of us and I will do my brst to contribute to this habitual sickness...LOL!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #243 on: April 02, 2011, 07:14:22 PM »
There is no milk in our dough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #244 on: April 02, 2011, 08:08:21 PM »
itsinthesauce,

Is there a publicly available list of ingredients for the frozen Vito & Nick's pizzas?

Peter

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #245 on: April 02, 2011, 10:06:20 PM »
You mentioned the King Arthur bread flour. Does King Arthur ship into Canada or do you have some other way of getting it?

Peter

hey pete, missed this for some reason.  i'm not *positive* that it's kind arthur, although i'm fairly certain.  i don't know if I bought it here, or when i was on a shopping trip in the states.  i'll see what they have at the store here next time i go - that might jog my memory.

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #246 on: April 03, 2011, 12:15:09 AM »
I had been using Loo's generic thin crust recipe, and while that was good, this V&N recipe blows it out of the water (no offense Loo, hahah!).

None taken, I just hope that I've a played a small role in the development of this. ;D  It's now my go-to thin formulation, as well. 

Oh, and nice looking work on that!

Loo

Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline BTB

« Reply #247 on: April 03, 2011, 10:08:52 AM »
itsinthesauce, is this the same great pizza that I reported my funny story about a couple of years ago? (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6066.0.html) I thought then that their frozen pizzas were outstanding and always had the understanding that V & N II had the identical recipe as they were the same family that just split up over some dispute (typical in many families unfortunately).

From the many times that I've eaten at the original V & N on Pulaski, I did not think that there was milk in their recipe.  But then we saw the Diner's, Drive-ins and Dives episode and they showed use of milk.  So go figure . . . unless that was proprietary "disinformation."  Please keep us informed as many of us are great fans of V & N (either I or II).

--BTB
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:11:13 AM by BTB »

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #248 on: April 08, 2011, 09:13:41 PM »
Hi BTB!!! i am noticing the orange color of the cheese on your v&n pizzas.  does it remind you of aurelios at all? color or taste? i had 3 aurelios shipped out here last xmas and after cooking they came out and had that orange color!  they were soooooooo good!!!!  i wanted xtra sauce though!!!!  thanks!

-=terry

parallei

« Reply #249 on: June 10, 2011, 10:47:36 PM »
Soon it will be to warm to be doing pies in the oven.  So I tried the V & N recipe, but in place of the commercial yeast I used a Ischia levain (20% of flour weight) and turns and stretches like the Tartine bread method.  Turned out pretty tasty but, as usual for me, didn't brown up as much as I would have liked on the bottom.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #250 on: June 24, 2011, 12:47:01 PM »
OK so I made some of the V&N dough last night using pete's recipe given above, but then my partner tells me today that she has other plans tonight and won't be home for dinner.  (i still don't know how this happened since she watched me make the dough, and she took out the sauce to defrost etc. but whatever GRRRRRRR    >:(  )

so now the plan is to make it tomorrow night.  i've had this proofing in the oven overnight, do you guys think I can just put this in the fridge and keep it another day, or would it be better to remake the dough?

Thanks  :chef:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:48:35 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #251 on: June 26, 2011, 07:19:09 PM »
OK well I stuck it in the fridge overnight and it worked OK.  This time I put on too much sauce and toppings, and didn't perhaps cook it long enough so I was left with a rather flimsy/soggy crust.  still good, but not stellar like my previous experiences with this recipe.  :chef:

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #252 on: June 26, 2011, 09:25:02 PM »
What kind of pan did you use to cook it on?? I use an 18" pizza screen that cooks my pizzas perfect!! You might want to try that out if you haven't tried already.
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #253 on: June 26, 2011, 10:10:51 PM »
I cooked it on a cutter pan on a stone.  i've had several successes using this recipe on that same pan in the past (I show my results and talk about this pan earlier in this thread).  i think it was soggy because i used a TON of sauce, and also had a lot of uncooked green peppers and onions on there that probably let out moisture.

Offline goosen1

« Reply #254 on: June 26, 2011, 10:25:22 PM »
Yes... Having that many Veggies and sauce could be a big problem. For my thin crust sauce I cook it down a bit. It helps out a lot since my wife is an "extra" sauce lover!!!
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #255 on: June 26, 2011, 10:27:38 PM »
yea, we're extra sauce lovers too, and I had an extra big bag in the freezer for some reason, so I applied it really liberally in an effort to use it all up.  still had some extra though LOL.

cooking it down is a great idea, i'll do that next time.

Offline goosen1

« Reply #256 on: June 26, 2011, 10:30:20 PM »
Just remember.. When you cook it down you will intensify the tomato flavor. If you add sugar to it you might want to use less or leave it out.

Offline sotaboy

« Reply #257 on: July 31, 2011, 08:32:18 PM »
loo    just wanted you to know your original formula is still used.  I use it for pizza on my Q200 grill. It gets a nice crispy bottom, but softer than a cracker crust. I make it in an old food processor, perfect for the 12" I usually make. It turns out a dough that is easy to handle, easy to shape, and cooks on the grill to give me what I want.  Thanks!!!

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #258 on: July 31, 2011, 10:01:31 PM »
Good deal!
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #259 on: December 10, 2011, 11:36:59 AM »
Last night I made a pie using Pete's dough formulation at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6368.msg117150.html#msg117150.  This is still my favorite thin crust dough, but I have to be honest that I found it a bit too thin for my liking as it didn't really support the toppings and cheese.  I used the dough calculator to increase the formulation to a thickness factor of 0.09 (almost double Pete's suggested 0.053), but I found that the pie worked much better, for me at least.  I always say this, but it was the best pie I've ever made.

I have noticed that the dough can be a bit chewy though.  I noticed it last night, and other times I've made this dough.  Has anyone else found that with this formulatoin?  Does anyone know what might cause that?  I have found myself cooking this dough for a bit longer than other styles that I make...  I cook this for about 12 minutes on a perforated pan on a stone on the lowest rack at 550.  Could that contribute to the chewiness?  or is it something else?

Thanks!   :chef: :pizza:

pizzapan