Author Topic: Generic Chicago Thin Crust  (Read 76437 times)

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
!
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 09:29:44 PM »
Mojo, that LOOKS AWESOME!!!

Lately, with this recipe, I've been rolling out a little thinner.  I've also used this recipe replacing 1/3 of the water with milk (2:1 water to milk ratio) with great results.  By the looks of that pie, you don't NEED to change a thing, but if you like to tinker...

Loo

that sounds great loo!  i am going to try that.  what does the milk do?   change the flavor?  i know i have heard about scalded milk in papa del's thick crust.  thanks again gang!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Generic Chicago Thin Crust
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 01:44:02 PM »
Wow, you got your mojo working! Good thing I don't live in Idaho or you'd have me and others knocking your door down. REALLY good looking pizza, and exactly what comes to mind when I think of Chicago-style thin crust.

Yes, the style varies from Home Run Inn to Vito & Nick's to Aurelio's to Patsy's et al, but I think you've got a winner there...heck, it's even got the right topping!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 02:26:55 PM by RSMBob »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 01:48:35 PM »
Youch, that looks perfect, nice job....
Jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 10:48:52 PM »
I hope my next effort turns out as good!  I really appreciate everyones advice and encouragement,  it really is just all about this website and all the wonderful info and excellent advice everyone provides.  ive learned a ton in the last 8 mos and have had a lot of fun!  i love looking at all the great pics of all your wonderful homeade chicago pies!! i need to get some deep dish pans i want to try buzz's lou malnatis!!!

Offline JJ

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 03:06:51 PM »
I would buy that pie any day!!  NICE ;D
Chicago's southwest side close to Home Run Inn,Palermo's 63rd,Vito & Nick's,Giordano's & Obbie's!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2009, 03:33:24 PM »
Terry,

With all the ooo-ing and ah-ing, we forgot to ask you what specific dough formulation you used from the dough calculating tool. Did you keep a copy?

Peter

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 10:32:26 PM »
Terry,

With all the ooo-ing and ah-ing, we forgot to ask you what specific dough formulation you used from the dough calculating tool. Did you keep a copy?

Peter

yes Pete!!  this is loos recipe from page1 that i entered into the calculator.  i wanted 6 dough balls for 14" pizzas.  i think because of loss in the bowl, each ball at the end of the mixing was 377grams instead of 392g. so i suppose that changes the TF a little?  thanks!

Flour (100%):    1520.41 g  |  53.63 oz | 3.35 lbs
Water (50%):    760.21 g  |  26.82 oz | 1.68 lbs
ADY (1%):    15.2 g | 0.54 oz | 0.03 lbs | 4.02 tsp | 1.34 tbsp
Salt (1%):    15.2 g | 0.54 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.72 tsp | 0.91 tbsp
Corn Oil (3%):    45.61 g | 1.61 oz | 0.1 lbs | 10.14 tsp | 3.38 tbsp
Total (155%):   2356.64 g | 83.13 oz | 5.2 lbs | TF = 0.09
Single Ball:   392.77 g | 13.85 oz | 0.87 lbs

Offline masdog

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2009, 04:58:35 PM »
Are there volume measurements for this recipe?

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2009, 07:42:26 AM »
Are there volume measurements for this recipe?

No, we don't have volume measurements converted for this but you can be the first.  Use this to do it: http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/

Loo
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:00:16 PM by Pete-zza »
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline masdog

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2009, 10:19:21 PM »
No, we don't have volume measurements converted for this but you can be the first.

Loo

Cool.  Thanks for the link, Loo.  I'll give this a try and post my results.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2009, 10:50:32 PM »
Hey Loo! tried a few more things with your recipe but no milk yet. (do i just do 20% by weight? or do i need to rehit the dough calculator? i tried a 20% rice flour mix, i wasnt happy with the results.  the bottom crust seemed to darken much quicker and i didnt like that burnt taste, tried it 2x.  but more recently i tried 20% semolina.  the 1st i cooked for 2 more minutes 12 min total, and again the bottom had some dark spots that affected the flavor.  the last night i did 10 min and it was much better.  good flavor.  perhaps a little bit of sweetness to the crust.  i will need to make another and verify but it was crisp and hands down better than the 1st effort.  now is it better than the original? i dont know. 4 more balls left.....we'll see!  thanks again for this fabulous recipe!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2009, 10:54:45 PM »
for the milk i think looking back you said 33% to water is this just by weight? or do i need to go to the dough calc?  thanks!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2009, 10:55:58 PM »
shoot sorry!!!  last ? any preference? whole milk? 2% etc.? thank you in advance.

Offline loowaters

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2009, 08:47:48 AM »
I've been using 2% milk because that's what we always have on hand here and, yes, I just replaced 33% of the water by weight with milk.

Loo

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2009, 10:41:16 PM »
sorry loo! one more ? if you dont mind. re: milk.  do you warm the milk, or do you proof the yeast in the warm water.  i always proofed the yeast in your recipe in the hot water and salt.  does it matter.  i know adding cold milk may cool the water down and not be optimal for activating?  thanks again! YOU ROCK!

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2009, 11:30:29 PM »
mrmojo1,

wow, looks exactly like the pies i used to eat growing up in the twin cities!  way to go!!!

that sausage looks most excellent.  do you mind sharing where you got it, or how you made it?

many thanks!

Offline loowaters

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2009, 07:42:00 AM »
sorry loo! one more ? if you dont mind. re: milk.  do you warm the milk, or do you proof the yeast in the warm water.  i always proofed the yeast in your recipe in the hot water and salt.  does it matter.  i know adding cold milk may cool the water down and not be optimal for activating?  thanks again! YOU ROCK!

I haven't warmed up the milk at all but I suppose it's something you could do based on when you want the dough ready for use.  Depending on how soon after making the dough I want to make the pizzas, I'll adjust how much warm water I use to activate the yeast.  If I'm making an emergency dough I'll make the entire amount of the water warm, if not, I'll just use a small amount of water to activate...maybe 4-5 times the weight of the yeast, then use cool water for the remainder.  I've found that this water temp adjustment is a quick and easy way to adapt recipes to either quick or slow rise times without having to change the amount of yeast or add or subtract sugar.  Not a lot of science behind it but the results still work. 

Loo
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 12:45:13 PM by loowaters »

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2009, 10:01:05 PM »
mrmojo1,

wow, looks exactly like the pies i used to eat growing up in the twin cities!  way to go!!!

that sausage looks most excellent.  do you mind sharing where you got it, or how you made it?

many thanks!

Hey Pie lover!! thanks for the nice words! the sausage was just johnsonville sweet italian sausage. i've lived in boise idaho now for the last 15yrs, but grew up in chicago.  i can say there is not a butcher or deli out here that makes what i would want, or could get at butcher back in the chicago burbs.  but i tried all brands out here, Al's, choice cuts, fred meyer, local coop, and a couple other places.  mild, hot, sweet.  and johnsonville sweet italians are the best so far.  most of the time i get the sausages and cut the casing off and use a teaspoon with a little oil on it and cut it off and form it just a little and let it fall on the pie.  i am still working on the best size.   good luck! let us know how it goes!

Offline madjack

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2009, 11:29:34 AM »
The photos in post #21 by mrmojo1 is what I have been striving for. Thanks to the original poster for posting the recipe and method, I am giving this a go later today. If it turns out well, I'll post my notes as I converted the recipe to volume measurements for a single pizza, and I believe someone requested that info.

Offline madjack

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2009, 08:06:59 PM »
I gave the recipe a try and it turned out really good, the best thin crust I've made so far. I used the following measurements based on the percentages in the original post. I used a thickness of .09 and sized the dough for a 14" pizza.

Flour 9.03oz (2 cups + 1 Tbs + .295 tsp)
Water 4.51oz (1/2 cup + 1 Tbs)
ADY .68 tsp
Salt .53 tsp
Oil 1.71Tsp

I didn't copy down the ball size but I know it was very close to mrmojo1's 392.77 g as we both sized for a 14" pan. Hope that helps anyone looking for the info.

As you can see in the photos, the crust could have been a bit more "done". I am using a new oven and was a bit wary to go to the bottom rack not having made a pizza in it yet. I think that may solve the problem. I also am going to try milk as mentioned in another post next time, just to see if it makes a difference. Hopefully this isn't just beginner's luck. Any comments or suggestions for improvement are appreciated. BTW it's 1/2 cheese, 1/2 mild Italian sausage & onion.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 09:21:44 PM by madjack »

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2009, 03:10:04 PM »
Looks delicious!!!!  great job!!!!

Offline loowaters

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2009, 04:15:28 PM »
That does look good!  If you're looking for a little more color on the crust ring, a nice cheat method is to brush the outer edges of the skin with some olive oil before topping. If you make pepperoni pies, the oil from that cooks off onto and into the edge to help deepen and darken the crust.

Loo

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2009, 09:46:01 AM »
Looks plenty good to me!  :)

Nice going, Madjack!  :chef:
Let them eat pizza.

Offline soflnoles

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2009, 05:09:01 PM »
yes Pete!!  this is loos recipe from page1 that i entered into the calculator.  i wanted 6 dough balls for 14" pizzas.  i think because of loss in the bowl, each ball at the end of the mixing was 377grams instead of 392g. so i suppose that changes the TF a little?  thanks!

Flour (100%):    1520.41 g  |  53.63 oz | 3.35 lbs
Water (50%):    760.21 g  |  26.82 oz | 1.68 lbs
ADY (1%):    15.2 g | 0.54 oz | 0.03 lbs | 4.02 tsp | 1.34 tbsp
Salt (1%):    15.2 g | 0.54 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.72 tsp | 0.91 tbsp
Corn Oil (3%):    45.61 g | 1.61 oz | 0.1 lbs | 10.14 tsp | 3.38 tbsp
Total (155%):   2356.64 g | 83.13 oz | 5.2 lbs | TF = 0.09
Single Ball:   392.77 g | 13.85 oz | 0.87 lbs

Can you answer something about the salt and ady measurements? Both start off as teh same weights but are different as far as tsp and tbsp.  Is this accurate?  Should I just weigh each out to 15.2 grams?

Thanks

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2009, 05:18:39 PM »
solfnoles,

The numbers are correct. A teaspoon of salt weighs quite a bit more than a teaspoon of ADY. You can use either a scale or use the volume measurements. If you scale back the amount of dough, for example, to a single dough ball, you might find it easier to use the volume measurements for the ingredients other than the flour and water.

Peter