Author Topic: Lebanese Pizza!  (Read 851 times)

Offline jmheidly

• I Love Pizza!
Lebanese Pizza!
« on: January 14, 2014, 10:18:08 AM »
Hey Guys,

Am new to this forum however I am fascinated with all things pizza. Since i come from Lebanon (Middle eastern country next to Syria) I tend to eat manakeesh (or lebanese pizza) every other morning. I have been experimenting with many manakeesh recipes and recently arrived to the attached outcome.

This pizza variant is topped with Za'atar which is a combination of dried oregano, sesame seeds, and dried sumac. All mixed with EVOO.

Hope you find it indulging...  :D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:37:38 AM by jmheidly »

Offline misterschu

Re: Lebanese Pizza!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 02:10:20 PM »
Are you familiar with lachmakoun/lahmajeen/lahma bajeen?  That's what I thought I was looking at originally. 

Your manakeesh looks tasty.  I'm not familiar with the flavor of sumac, as far as i know.  I've had za'atar, is that the main ingredient?

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »
That looks really good, what is your dough recipe?
Bert,

Offline jmheidly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 01:25:15 AM »
Are you familiar with lachmakoun/lahmajeen/lahma bajeen?  That's what I thought I was looking at originally. 

Your manakeesh looks tasty.  I'm not familiar with the flavor of sumac, as far as i know.  I've had za'atar, is that the main ingredient?

Sure I am. Lahma bajeen is very famous amongst Lebanese pizzas. Sumac is usually added to za'atar to enhance its flavour and no its not its main ingredient.

However, our lahma bajeen is a varient of the turkish one and therefore you may find different varieties in tastes/shapes. 

Offline jmheidly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 01:32:35 AM »
That looks really good, what is your dough recipe?

Below is the recipe I am currently using.

100%    Caputo 00
71%      Water
15%        Ischia
2.20%   Sea Salt
0.5%     IDY

Pour the active starter into a mixing bowl, adding the water + mixing until the starter breaks up a bit. Add flour and Autolyse for 30 mins. Add yeast and salt and mix for 5 minutes. Rest for 10 minutes. Stretch and fold for 2 minutes. Rest for 20 minutes. Do again 3 times. Refrigerate overnight.               

Regards,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 07:45:41 AM »
Thanks
Bert,

Offline jmheidly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 04:19:29 AM »
My next iteration of lebanese pizza with major modifications.

Throughout my experimentation I have modified all sorts of ingredients and now I somehow settled on a method which I believe contradicts pizza making processes. First, dough is always retarded in the fridge during fermentation, which is almost 48 hours. Water content is 66% excluding SD, which itself is 100%. SD percentage is very high considering flour to SD ratio.

Below is the breakdown along with some images.

Flour 100%
Ischia 50%
Water 72.8%
Salt 2.5%

Stretching the ball is very tricky as it becomes very wet. I am wondering if the proportions and the process undergoing this method are justified or at least busted.

Regards,

Offline najatskitchen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 10:56:50 PM »
Hi
Your manaeesh looks amazing.I am starting a new pizza business in Canada soon.I am planning to have manaeesh on the menu too.what cheese are you using ,is it Akawi or Halloum?or a mix? thanks in advance for your reply.

pizzapan