Author Topic: Franco Manca Pizza - Brixton Market - London UK  (Read 25811 times)

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Franco Manca Pizza - Brixton Market - London UK
« on: March 07, 2008, 08:33:22 AM »
Hi All,

This is the place I have been working on lately. We'll have a soft launch tomorrow (strictly on invitation) and a proper opening on Tuesday next week.

If there is any londoners out there that would like to be invited, I'll see what I can do if you drop me a line. I should be there tomorrow but not on Tuesday.

Ciao

Offline pizzanapoletana

Re: Franco Manca Pizza - Brixton Market - London UK
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 05:44:51 AM »
We had the soft launch yesterday and had great interest, we have been pretty busy so I could only take a picture when I was warming up the oven and one of the same just before closing. It is a real shame we did not take pictures of the pizza but the comments we have received were all very positive.

The place will commercially launch next Tuesday.

So let me tell you more about this place:

It was formally a gourmet pizzeria offering Electric Oven made pizza with good ingredients but with crispy crust and dead toppings..

The new owner wanted to operate as a brand new concept, recreating the Neapolitan crust and using almost 100% organic ingredients and seasonal produce.
I was recruited to look at the dough recipe/methodology and consult on various aspect of the operation.

We have sourced two Forno Napoletano (one will operate in the place opposite that will open at the later stage), a mixer and other machinery that will help achieve the desire product.

We have also sourced an Italian Organic Flour of the desired strenght and the owner has flown in a cheesemaker from Sorrento that has worked with an organic farm in England to produce the fior di latte to use on the pizza. The menu is very simple, and at the moment contain about 5 pizza. Wine and beers are also organic.

If you are in London and want to visit let me know. I will be in Italy for two weeks but after that I should be there every Saturdays.

Ciao

Offline steampie

• mmm.....pizza
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 05:39:26 PM »
Marco,

I saw your posts on eGullet and figured it was you (talking about Donna Margherita & having the same username).  Congratulations on getting your own place, this sounds really great!  I can't wait to come check it out, especially since I live close by (Peckham Rye). 

Sam

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 04:23:34 AM »
Hi Sam,

Thanks for your email, but let me clarify that it is not my own place and I am only working as full time consultant on this project.

I will be there often on Saturdays from the 29th March onwards.

I am looking forward to see you there.

Marco

Offline steampie

• mmm.....pizza
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 02:21:58 PM »
Hi Marco,

Yeah, I re-read your post and realised that it wasn't your place, but I will definitely be stopping by soon.  Very happy that it is close to me!

Cheers

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 07:22:19 PM »
I have just returned from Italy and have found this picture on the web: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3070/2351573519_381b2ce7dd.jpg?v=0

I hope to take some pictures and post them on Saturday.

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 07:53:26 PM »
Here is a sample of the pizza served today. The Organic Fior Di Latte, although very testy, today had the wrong consistency.

Please let us have your feedback:

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 08:46:21 PM »
Marco, they still look really good.  Looks like the cheese was a little dry or something.  I have heard you say before that the browning of the cheese is a defect. Is that still your opinion?  Somehow I thought that my oven had an uncanny ability to mottle the cheese like yours looks there.  Now i am wondering if it has more to do with my cheese than my oven.  Check out my pies from tonight under the leopording thread in the Neapolitan section.  -Marc

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 09:07:45 PM »
Hi Marc,

It is a defect indeed.

We are using Organic Cheese locally sourced from a Farm that had been trained by a neapolitan cheesemaker flown in by the Pizzeria owner...

They are still learning (I believe they are at the 4th week of making this cheese when before they had only ever made Chedar and Blue Cheese...)

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 05:26:49 AM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 12:39:27 AM »
Yes the cheese looks bad, but the dough really does look perfect.  I can tell that it is tender and flavorful just from the look of the crust, without even considering that the dough is made with wild yeast.  When you factor in the flavor of the char, the slightly acidic dough, and the slight subtle outer crisp from a very hot and even oven, this is nice work indeed!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 01:01:40 AM by scott r »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 12:55:51 AM »
Maybe I am totally crazy, but I really am thinking about the fact that there is a huge sale on airfare right now between Boston and London.  Marco, you are a fan of higher hydration doughs, and I know a wet dough combined with a thorough bake makes for amazing texture and flavor. Am I the only one on this forum that would pay $350 for a pizza?  Honestly I would just order some pies without the cheese but with those beautiful salumi and sausage. 

Offline frankiedahamma

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 01:47:42 AM »
Maybe I am totally crazy, but I really am thinking about the fact that there is a huge sale on airfare right now between Boston and London.  Marco, you are a fan of higher hydration doughs, and I know a wet dough combined with a thorough bake makes for amazing texture and flavor. Am I the only one on this forum that would pay $350 for a pizza?  Honestly I would just order some pies without the cheese but with those beautiful salumi and sausage.

Wow Scottr that's pretty hardcore!  I admire the passion.  I think I'd rather take a flight out there for lunch have a pizza then take another flight back home and maybe some NY style pizza for dinner.  lol

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 05:57:17 AM »
Am I the only one on this forum that would pay $350 for a pizza?

Hi scott r,

Last May I spent over $1,000 to get to Phoenix Arizona from South Africa, to find that Chris Bianco had closed for the week to collect a prize in NY !

Hi Marco,

The bases look awesome ! I am sure the cheese issues will be sorted soon enough. Why don't you come to South Africa and convince someone with some foresight to open "the real thing" here in Cape Town ?

Kind regards.

Barry

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 06:28:59 AM »
Hi scott r,

Last May I spent over $1,000 to get to Phoenix Arizona from South Africa, to find that Chris Bianco had closed for the week to collect a prize in NY !

Hi Marco,

The bases look awesome ! I am sure the cheese issues will be sorted soon enough. Why don't you come to South Africa and convince someone with some foresight to open "the real thing" here in Cape Town ?

Kind regards.

Barry

I would love to do something similar in South Africa and anywhere else in the world (I will soon start working on a new continent, news will follow).

The key is that I should not have to "convince" anyone. The great thing about this project was that I was contacted by someone that in simple terms charged me with creating the best possible product, and sourcing the best of all that was out there  with little consideration on the costs: The best ovens (we have 2) and mixer from Forno Napoletano, the best organic ingredients, creating a fantastic wild yeast dough etc... I cannot tell you how many compliments and thanks I keep getting from all the people involved and bare in mind we are talking of a place that do not even open for dinner.... The Client knew what he wanted and actually got more then that back.

Many people approach this type of venture without a clear objective and/or not understanding where compromising or saving cost is not an option.

I know of an Italian that is trying to open a Pizza Club in Cape Town but I am not sure he has the right objectives...

Ciao

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 11:04:09 AM »

The new owner wanted to operate as a brand new concept, recreating the Neapolitan crust and using almost 100% organic ingredients and seasonal produce.
I was recruited to look at the dough recipe/methodology and consult on various aspect of the operation.

We have sourced two Forno Napoletano (one will operate in the place opposite that will open at the later stage), a mixer and other machinery that will help achieve the desire product.

We have also sourced an Italian Organic Flour of the desired strenght and the owner has flown in a cheesemaker from Sorrento that has worked with an organic farm in England to produce the fior di latte to use on the pizza. The menu is very simple, and at the moment contain about 5 pizza. Wine and beers are also organic.

Given that Caputo is generally recognised as the prominent flour used in Neapolitan pizza and provides a unique flavor - how does your organic substitute compare?
David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 12:25:00 PM »
Are they just using Alham Wood Fior di latte or offering Buffala also on the menu Marco?
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 05:48:57 PM »
The flour is pretty good, an organic stone milled flour made mainly with Italian Grains. I had obviously to develop a methodology that would suit the characteristics of the flour.

The Farm has also bufale, however their milk is a bit different from the one produced in Campania and the mozzarella could not be produced. It is my understanding the bufala milk is used for ricotta, another cheese and may be added in small quantities to their fior di latte, but I am not really sure.

Ciao

Offline KoolDO

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 11:07:52 PM »
I have heard you say before that the browning of the cheese is a defect. Is that still your opinion?
it is a defect indeed.

We are using Organic Cheese locally sourced from a Farm that had been trained by a neapolitan cheesemaker flown in by the Pizzeria owner...

They are still learning (I believe they are at the 4th week of making this cheese when before they had only ever made Chedar and Blue Cheese...)
Why is this a sign of defective cheese?  From the pics that I've seen from some of the pizzerias in Naples they all have some degree of burning from being scorched at those high temps.  Along with the pics you posted it doesn't look like bad cheese only that it got a little burnt, it doesn't look brown to me.

Offline Amir

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 07:51:38 PM »
I am in London and will see if I can find time to drop by.  Meanwhile, searching for the place, found a good review. Thought you may want to know about it Marco: http://www.thelondonrestaurantreview.co.uk/displayrecord2.asp?RecType=2&EntryID=4236

"Review by Luca from Peckham
Check for other reviews by Luca
cost per head=£7
Top Quality pizza made with 100% organic ingredients, baked in an authentic wood fired oven shipped from Naples and with most flavourful crust due to a long fermentation using a wild yeast starter.
Great pizza at absolutely great prices
03 April 2008 "

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 07:57:29 AM »
I am in London and will see if I can find time to drop by. 

It will be good to see you there. I should be there up to 2pm on Saturday (consider that the place is only opened up to 17.30).

Many people are already asking questions about the product, the ovens, etc... many of them are neapolitan expat... And there have already been few visits from Food Critics that have then sent editorial team to take pictures... It looks like that the effort we have put into it is starting returning results.

Ciao

PS Feel free to introduce yourself.