Author Topic: Franco Manca Pizza - Brixton Market - London UK  (Read 25801 times)

Offline zalicious

Re: Franco Manca Pizza - Brixton Market - London UK
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2008, 11:26:27 AM »
What a great review. Franco Manca," Franco's not here ". I love it ;D!

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
Marco,

I'll be out there in June, and will make this a "must" stop...great review!  Are you there at all so I'll get a chance to meet up with you in person?

Dan

"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2008, 03:32:16 AM »
Marco,

I'll be out there in June, and will make this a "must" stop...great review!  Are you there at all so I'll get a chance to meet up with you in person?

Dan

Dan,

I am there most saturdays, however I will be travelling in June for a different consultancy project. I am not sure yet as we are waiting confirmation of equipment (Forno Napoletano's oven, mixer, etc..) arrival on site.

Let me know exactly when you think you will be there by PM.

Ciao

Offline Ian J

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2008, 10:25:05 AM »
Hi Marco,

I've been following this thread with great interest as it is one of the few threads (are there any others?) about Pizza in the UK.

Would it be cheeky for me to ask what brand tomatoes you use, I have been unable to locate any of the brands recommended on this forum (e.g. 6in1) in the UK.

Many thanks

Ian

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2008, 12:06:39 PM »
Ian,

The tomatoes we use are directly sourced from Italy so not ready available in UK.

If you are an home user, you should be able to find Cirio Peeled Tomotes at Morrisons (ex Safeway).

Ciao

Offline Ian J

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2008, 06:53:06 AM »
I am a home user and have found the Cirio to be the best in a taste test.

I have contacted an Italian deli and they can import tinned tomatoes for me, are there any brands you can recommend?

Thank you

Offline benito

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2008, 12:59:51 AM »
I think echlon is a good brand too
But its almost tomato season thats the most
Ciao

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2008, 07:35:43 AM »
I have found the comparison to Lombardi to be very funny  :-D

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/520518#3744248

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2008, 11:06:45 AM »
Hi all,

Was in London recently and stopped in at Franco Manca...for a town where great pie is usually referring to "kidney and ale", it was great to have something so Neapolitan in London...first off, the trek down to Brixton from city center takes about 20 minutes...Brixton is a funky enclave of international food markets, reggae music, and ...wigs!?#@  Didn't seem very safe, but we were fine since the pizzeria is open during the daytime.

The crust is the sure star here...a real standout I'd place on par with the best of Naples (Da Michele).  The only weak link I could find has already been discussed here, the cheese.  I was really craving a nice mozzarella di buffala on that crust. But alas, it is a local supplier of fiore di latte.  It wasn't bad by any means, it did have a nice taste, just that with the crust bursting with flavor, the cheese didn't compliment as it should have.  The texture was sort of "globby" if thats a word.  Also something a litlle different from the traditional Naples pie, was the smathering of oregano on the pie.

All in all, this is must stop for anyone visiting London who craves pizza Neapolitano.  The menu is small but everything on it is prepared using organic, fresh ingredients...even the beer is organic (and quite good).  I spoke with the owner, Giuseppe, who is quite proud of the operation, and he should be.  Marco, you've done a great job here, and the crust is turning me green with envy.  Looks like I need to get back to the drawing board on mine...hmmmmm  I'll be returning to Franco Manca.

Dan
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 11:12:47 AM by pizza concerto »
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2008, 01:00:42 PM »
Thanks Dan,

I am glad you liked it.

Here is one picture I have found on the net today, with the waiting staff and at the back, attending the oven a special pizzaiolo ;-)

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2008, 11:14:25 AM »

Offline steampie

• mmm.....pizza
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2008, 12:21:32 PM »
So I finally made it over to Franco Manca yesterday, despite living less than 2 miles away (but such is the life of someone w/ a 4-month old baby).  Anyhow, on to my initial thoughts...

It wasn't difficult to find, although it's definitely in a unique spot.  As has been mentioned before, it is extremely convenient if you need to satisfy your wig-purchasing requirements at the same time.  We arrived a little after 2, and most tables were occupied.  We ordered -- one Margherita, one Chorizo, a salad and 500ml homemade lemonade.

The lemonade and salad appeared almost instantly.  The salad was organic, and while it was fresh and fairly tasty, it consisted of lettuce, radishes and far too much fennel.  It was more of a fennel salad in fact.  I appreciate that using sourced organic produce, you can't be too choosy with all of the veg, but just a bit more lettuce and less fennel would have been a touch better.  The lemonade was made on the premises, cloudy, sharp and delicious.

On to the pizza -- the sauce has been discussed before, and the flavour was a great balance of the acidity of the tomatoes with the right amount of salt.  The cheese wasn't bad at all; I've bought some delicious mozz. di bufala from Borough Market, but this cheese certainly wasn't amiss on the pizza.  At the very least, it took nothing away from it.

And the main event, the crust -- well, I wasn't that impressed.  Let me rephrase that: I was blown away.  It was absolutely amazing, by far the best crust I've had in the 4 years I've lived in London.  Lovely charred bits, soft middle, with a very earthy/yeasty flavour that wan't overwhelming at all.

It was just a great experience from start to finish.  Our pizzas arrived less than 5 minutes after we ordered, and I still can't believe the prices -- £4.60 for the Margherita, £5.60 for the Chorizo, £1.50 for the salad and £2.00 for the lemonade.

I can't wait to go back next week.

-Sam

[And as an aside, I went to culinary school this year, and when we had our teaching demonstration on starters, the instructor brought in the Metro article that she had cut out to point out how old they could be and that there are people out there who are *experts*!]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 12:34:55 PM by steampie »

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2008, 12:50:02 AM »

Offline steampie

• mmm.....pizza
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2008, 04:40:25 AM »
that review sums up most of my thoughts as well. I went for lunch again yesterday. Amazing.

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2008, 02:48:55 PM »
For those of you who have visited here is a message from the management:

"Franco Manca has been nominated a contender for BEST CHEAP EAT by Time Out (London). if you think we should win the prize - please VOTE for us at:
http://www.timeout.com/competition/edawards2008 "

Edited: And a New review:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/moslive/article-1049257/Give-PIZZA-chance.html
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 02:35:04 PM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline pizzanapoletana

Offline pizzanapoletana

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2008, 03:22:57 PM »
Congratulations Marco on a job well done. That is a rave review. Seeing your posts and the pictures of your pizza always serves to drive me further forward on trying to improve my own.

Jim

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2008, 03:06:03 PM »
I wonder how much of the apparent astounding success of Franco Manca can be contributed to other factors apart from a superior product.I have been spending some time recently,(like many !)thinking about peoples dining choices and affordable in this climate?I know that partially due to environmental issues a backlash against bottled water gained momentum in the UK and has spread to New York,in favor of tap water.Seemingly London office space is 50% higher than Manhattan,so I'm guessing retail is similar?I think cheese prices are higher in London as are most thing,yet Franco Manca can offer great value in one of the worlds costliest environments.
I am familiar with where they are located and understand the demographics.I wonder if this is an indicator to the future and possible business model for the survival of more independents?
David
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 03:07:38 PM by David »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

pizzapan