Author Topic: suggestions on chicago style  (Read 7083 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re:suggestions on chicago style
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2004, 06:15:10 PM »
And a "lite" slice.

Peter

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2004, 09:23:33 PM »
Looks really good.  I don't cook the peperoni, but do cook the sausage.

I still prefer canola or corn oils

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2004, 12:49:48 PM »
DKM,

Thanks.  I was hoping you wouldn't mind my playing around with your recipe the way I did.  After all, there are some things that are too sacred to tamper with :).

The idea for cooking the pepperoni came from Peter Reinhart's book American Pie.  He also suggests boiling the pepperoni slices.  What I have done in the past to achieve the same result is to place the pepperoni slices between a few paper towels and microwave.  But you have to be very careful because the pepperoni cooks very quickly and can almost burn.   So you have to watch the process very carefully. When done right, the paper towels will absorb most of the fat from the pepperoni.

Peter

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2004, 12:13:33 PM »
DKM,

Thanks.  I was hoping you wouldn't mind my playing around with your recipe the way I did.

I think that is what this place is all about.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2004, 06:57:32 PM »
You bet...one of us is not as smart as all of us!

Len

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2004, 06:48:17 PM »
this pizza looks AWESOME.  I've jotted notes from the pointers you've given, but I don't have a complete recipe yet.  Can you post the recipe you used to make this pizza?
Thank you for your help,
Len

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2004, 08:55:58 PM »
Len:

Check the main page recipes (click on pizzamaking.com on the bottom of this page).

It is DKM's Deepdish recipe I believe :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 08:58:47 PM by Foccaciaman »
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2004, 10:41:04 AM »
Len,

I used DKM's recipe as posted on the front page of the pizzamaking.com website.  As previously indicated, I scaled down the recipe to achieve a dough ball size of around 15 ounces, to fit a 9-inch pan with a 2-in. height.  The amounts of the different ingredients I used are as follows:

7.35 oz. all-purpose flour (a bit over 1 3/4 c.)
  4.48 oz. water (a bit over 1/2 c.)
  1.43 oz. corn meal and corn flour (50/50 by weight)
  1.43 oz. Smart Balance spread (about 2 T.)
  0.15 oz. sugar (a bit over 1 t.)
  0.10 oz. salt (a bit over 1/2 t.)
  0.10 oz. ADY (about 3/4 t.) or about 5/8 t. IDY (I used IDY)

For the toppings, I used 3 links of sausage (removed from the casings), about 24 slices of pepperoni, 2 1/2 oz. each of mozzarella cheese, provolone cheese and soy mozzarella cheese, 6-in-1 tomatoes, and dried and fresh basil and dried oregano.

If you have a 2 1/4 inch high pan, then you will need a somewhat larger dough ball.  I previously posted the flour weights for different sized pans, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/yabbse/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=560;start=0.  You will have to calculate the rest of the ingredients based on baker's percents.

Peter

« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 11:00:42 AM by Pete-zza »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: suggestions on chicago style
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2005, 08:37:11 PM »
In the previous post, I set forth the recipe I followed to make a "lite" version of DKM's now famous deep-dish pizza. Subsequent to that post, I decided to make a 12-inch version, using the new 12-inch deep-dish pan (the dark PSTK version) I had bought from pizzatools.com. I scaled DKM's recipe down to the 12-inch size and made another "lite" deep-dish pizza from the scaled formulation for the dough. I did everything pretty much the same as the earlier and smaller version in terms of ingredients and dough processing. When the pizza came out of the oven, I was, frankly, disappointed by the results. The pizza looked nice (see the photos below), but the dough was--inexplicably--softer than I had wanted. I sampled a slice (the one shown in the slice photo below) and it tasted fine but, in my opinion, wasn't quite as good as the previous one. I took photos with the thought of posting them, as I do even when they don't represent my very best efforts, but declined to do so this time since I didn't think they would advance the purposes of this forum--to show people how to make good pizzas, not mediocre ones, even if they look beautiful to the eye.

As it so happened, at the time I was scheduled to go out of town, so rather than trying to eat the whole pizza before I left, I decided instead to cut it into slices and to freeze them for possible future use. Tonight, as I was rummaging through my freezer for something to eat, I saw the frozen deep-dish slices staring me in the face. At first, I didn't know whether to stare back or what. But hunger has a way of forcing a decision and I decided to sample them again. I removed two slices from the freezer and defrosted each in my microwave for about 2-3 minutes. I then put each in my toaster oven at around 450 degrees F for about 7 minutes, expecting, once again, to be disappointed. I am not trying to build up a crescendo of suspense here, but let me tell you, they were wonderful!!. They were flavorful, the crust was of nice texture, the flavor of the 6-in-1s came through, and, overall, the pizza was thoroughly enjoyable. And, the best part ?: I have a bunch more slices still in the freezer. And they are fairly low-fat to boot.

Because of my satisfaction with the pizza, I decided to post the photos of the pizza, in whole and slice form. I still think I can do better, and I will continue to experiment with DKM's recipe, but for now I am a happy camper.

Peter

« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 09:34:52 PM by Pete-zza »