Author Topic: Big Y pizza dough  (Read 2428 times)

Offline pierce652

• I Love Pizza!
Big Y pizza dough
« on: March 11, 2008, 12:10:31 AM »
Big Y is a supermarket here in Connecticut and a few of the surrounding states.  Like most supermarkets you can purchase pizza dough to bring home and make your own.  However, unlike other markets this dough is excellent.  It has a high hydration such that it will stick to your hands while shaping.  When cooked the crust has a slightly oily mouthfeel with tons of air bubbles and a crunch and chew that is second to none.  The chew is one of those that you bite down and have to pull to rip off a bite.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried the dough and what your results were.  Id love to get a recipe to make a dough like this.  Its pretty sad when store bought dough is better than my homemade.
BBQ, Pizza, Flyfishing

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Big Y pizza dough
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 12:41:20 AM »
Don't be sad, rejoice!  You are very lucky to have a NY based grocery store chain around.  If I had them around when I was 20 I probably wouldn't have gotten into making my own crust. I have had their dough and it is pretty much what you would buy from the better NY pizzerias. In addition Big Y is the only market near me (well I actually have to drive over an hour) that has two other NY pizzeria ingredient gods.  Poly-O mozzarella and Hormel rosa pepperoni.  Rosa is not just any old hormel grease bomb pepperoni.  It's what places like Difara's Grimalde's etc. use, and Poly-O is a NY street style standard cheese that's probably used just as much as or more than Grande.

It is difficult for anyone with a home mixer to make an exceptional NY style dough.  High gluten flour and a Kitchen Aid aren't really a good match.  You need a Hobart and great technique to hang with real NY pizza dough mixmaster.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 12:43:21 AM by scott r »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 01:03:16 AM »
High gluten flour and a Kitchen Aid aren't really a good match.

May I ask why not? I'm about to buy a KA 4 qt. Mixer. So far, I have done all my kneading and mixing by hand, and with the help of a wooden spoon, a spatula, a wire whisk and a dough cutter.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 01:05:12 AM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 01:54:49 AM »
As a proud owner of a kitchen aid and an electrolux dlx I can definitely say that the day I mixed a 25 pound bag of flour in a restaraunts hobart for the first time was a serious eye opener.  There is just no comparison.  If you really want to max it out at home I fear you have to spend the coin for a santos fork mixer or just perfect your hand mixing.

Offline pierce652

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 05:44:58 PM »
I was at Big Y this afternoon when they got their shipment of flour and sauce.  They use Progressive Baker Hummer flour which is a high gluten flour.  Their sauce is Pizzailo Pizza sauce.
BBQ, Pizza, Flyfishing