Author Topic: Opening in stl and need the right oven  (Read 5853 times)

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Re: Opening in stl and need the right oven
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 08:29:19 AM »
It's funny, I saw "STL" and to me that read Saint Louis, but who knows.  Washington one of three states (Oregon and Hawaii also) I've never been to but I would love to get there sometime.  I am not sure the original poster has actually been around in a while!!! I hi-jacked the thread (sorry!) and got everyone all confused.
Patrick

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 10:29:57 AM »
Uh oh,  a site built neapolitan oven in town.  Maybe it would be better to buy a forno bravo and make NY elite style pizza.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 02:13:53 PM »
I read stl as St. Louis also...  I live about 35 mi N of downtown Seattle. 

Willard, I would SURE love to know which restaurant that is...  was your sister with you, possibly?  Would she know?

The author of this thread was on the site 9 days ago... perhaps he is busy with plans, etc.  Sure would like clarification as to which city!  Seattle was mentioned in an earlier post and he didn't respond in the negative, but perhaps he also didn't notice.   Hmmmm.....
based on this reply, I'm pretty sure it's St. Louis....  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6402.msg54831.html#msg54831 since he mentions oven builders in the mid-west.... 
Drat!  I was hoping for new pizza on the Seattle scene... using one of Marco's ovens!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 08:07:06 PM »
sdgirl,

Yes.... not quite my sister.....my brother in law (they own the building) so I can find out
for you.  I wasn't sure if it was Seattle or St. Louis  either.....just figured I'd throw it inn to add
to the excitement! Seemed like a real nice "quaint place" If I remember correctly my brother in
law said the guys who built it were three generations of "those authentic fellows from across the pond!"
who hand built the oven. 

I'll let you know when I find out.

here it is http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/333386_rest28.html

willard
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 12:58:10 AM by 2stone »
2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 04:11:44 AM »
the guys who built it were three generations of "those authentic fellows from across the pond!"
who hand built the oven. 

Not really! It is not the same guys that built the one at spaccanapoli and it is not a Forno Napoletano.

A trip to Naples would easily clarify this as (if I am correct in guessing who built it) you would not find ovens by them older then late 1990s.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 11:39:46 AM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 09:17:31 AM »
Marco,

Are you saying it's a "knockoff" ?

My comments were generic in nature and
were not intended to imply anything specific.

willard
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 02:10:10 PM by 2stone »

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 11:46:06 AM »
Ciao,

Are you saying it's a "knockoff" ?

My comments were generic in nature and
were not intended to imply anything specific.

willard

I have corrected my previous message above as it did not read correctly.

All I am saying is that many claims to have been building ovens for generations but you can only find old pizza ovens made by two families...

Also, if I am correct still on who made the one in the picture, we have been asked to replace two ovens  less then 5 years old that are collapsing and could have been made by one of them that made the one in the picture. For the record it can also happen to the best oven when is not used or maintained properly, but both ovens I am referring two had exactly the same damage which would suggest a quality issue.

Ciao

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 01:11:07 PM »
Marco, I understand completely,

I have been designing original products for 25 years.
When you have a good product the temptation is too
great for many not to copy. It is easier to piggyback on someone else's
hard work, innovation and reputation. I have experienced it
several times.  Usually a great product comes about with much trial and error
and investment.
People always want things for less and the persons making the copy simply do not
have to recoup the investment it took to create the product in the first place.
It sounds to me like you represent a high quality original product that has also
withstood the test of time.  I am also sure that if your product failed you would
stand behind it for quite some time.

My dad used to say "success has many fathers but failure is an orphan"

regards,

willard
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 07:59:12 PM by 2stone »

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 01:52:14 PM »
All I am saying is that many claims to have been building ovens for generations but you can only find old pizza ovens made by two families...

Marco,
Previously you had made comments that there were three families that were "Famous" (and I believe at the time you yourself were not providing ovens?) You did say however that these were famous and not necessarily that they were in fact either reputable or old.Would you suggest that in fact there are now four reputable oven builders (now including yours and assuming that they are not built by one of the three you mentioned) from Naples?I have heard also of a Mimmo and Michelle (?) and good reports,but I have not researched further as to their families or products.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 01:53:52 PM by David »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2008, 04:16:01 AM »
Marco,
Previously you had made comments that there were three families that were "Famous" (and I believe at the time you yourself were not providing ovens?) You did say however that these were famous and not necessarily that they were in fact either reputable or old.Would you suggest that in fact there are now four reputable oven builders (now including yours and assuming that they are not built by one of the three you mentioned) from Naples?I have heard also of a Mimmo and Michelle (?) and good reports,but I have not researched further as to their families or products.

David,

As I said before, I was mislead in my research for the perfect oven. I was led to believe by a reputable pizzamaker that his ovens and others where he previously worked was made by a third family (this is because he had an interest in selling in the business). I then found out that most of the ovens he mentioned were actually made by one of the original two and that is when I distantiate myself from recommending that person. I also found out that the second one in reality had two branches, of which one was building better ovens.

It was then that I went back to Naples and by was involved in creating a selling channel for one of the two original families. Part of the idea was to create a brand and not going by the family name. As time will go by, and we will continue replacing ovens made by the previous generation of Forno Napoletano' master builder, it will become clearer of many good pizzerias have trusted FN's Master Builder family for many years. My involvement with FN was initially to create and test the mobile model so that it would be available to the clients I was consulting. Fabio was the original Head of the project. As I was dealing with most of the sales myself, it made sense that I took a more prominent role.

Of the two people you are referring to, as far as I know, one is the brother in law of the one I distantiate myself from, and at times they work together and other times they don't. Some of the ovens we have been asked to replace were built allegedly by either of them.

For the record, yesterday I was called by a client of ours (Donna Margherita) that had to replace a previuosly poorly built oven as he was telling me that a person he knew made the same mistake of going to an "imitator" and now wanted Forno Napoletano to replace it....

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 04:18:25 AM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2008, 10:57:24 AM »
Not sure which thread to add this to,but here is as good as any:

http://www.labellanapoli.com/

Go to galleria and see  Il nuovo forno a legna

There are a number of photos showing some of the stages of building a commercial over in Naples.(but not the vent.......!)The pizzeria is in  the same area as Salvo I believe,just outside the center?
The link should be interesting to all Neapolitan lovers,
David
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 10:59:36 AM by David »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2008, 11:27:49 AM »
Not sure which thread to add this to,but here is as good as any:

http://www.labellanapoli.com/

Go to galleria and see  Il nuovo forno a legna

There are a number of photos showing some of the stages of building a commercial over in Naples.(but not the vent.......!)The pizzeria is in  the same area as Salvo I believe,just outside the center?
The link should be interesting to all Neapolitan lovers,
David

The pizzeria is in Matera, a different region altogether. The guy is related to Salvo, but another branch of the family.

It is a future client of Forno Napoletano as he (and his brother somewhere else) will have to replace poorly built ovens (in the pictures as these were poorly built ;-p) soon...

Ciao

pizzapan