Author Topic: Mozzarella smoke bombs  (Read 1667 times)

Offline mikeintj

Mozzarella smoke bombs
« on: April 16, 2008, 10:38:05 AM »

On the Great British Menu (a competition to find the best chef producing modern British food in the UK) yesterday on the BBC, a competitor made mozzarella smoke bombs as a component of one of his dishes. I had never heard of these before and yet they looked amazing.

What were they? Well, you burn some wood chippings and capture the smoke. Then melt a small amount of mozzarella and place it over the "funnell" where the smoke is contained. Release the smoke and the mozz should expand to produce a bubble of cheese with smoke inside.

Although a great idea, it proved difficult to execute. He attempted it many times but was able to produce only a single taut bomb, the rest either popped or deflated.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b009z63z.shtml (Note this link will only last for another 6 days on the BBC website).

I just thought that a pizza with 3 or 4 of these bombs on them would look fantastic.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
Re: Mozzarella smoke bombs
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 01:19:03 PM »
mikeintj,
Thanks for the post, but it seems the video link works only in the UK.  Pity.  I would love to have seen these "smoke bombs"!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline mikeintj

Re: Mozzarella smoke bombs
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 02:44:38 PM »

Yes, looks like it is available in the UK only, although I'm sure geeks know how to get around that.

I just tried to screen capture some moments from the programme, but it doesn't seem to like Firefox on Ubuntu.

I guess it is just a matter of waiting until the BBC makes its output available globally.

In the meantime just imagine getting some bubble gum and blowing a big bubble and then putting it on a plate. That is how it looked - except he used mozarella, not gum, and smoke instead of air.