Author Topic: Has anyone tried Stainless Steel  (Read 1322 times)

Offline MTpizzamama

• I wish....
Has anyone tried Stainless Steel
« on: November 02, 2004, 02:33:49 PM »
Hi just finished talking to my local steel guy :(.  I wanted to try using a sheet of steel in my oven on the lower rack to create a pizza oven effect.  But I was informed that I could damage my oven by creating to much heat and burn up the element.  

Has anyone experience a problem with the tiles doing this?  I wanted to try the steel and see if I could get the same results as a pizza oven made with steel instead of brick.   Still think I could do this just can't seem to get my friend to supply me with a sheet of steel the appropriate size for my oven.

MTpizzamama

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re:Has anyone tried Stainless Steel
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 04:00:01 PM »
Well, the good news is that most electric oven heating elements are EASY to replace, and they generally run about $20-$30.

But, I find it very hard to believe that you can overheat (or burn out) a heating element... the elements are literally red-hot when they cycle on and off. And how can you get the oven temperature hotter than the element itself in order to burn it out? I'm skeptical.  :-\
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
Re:Has anyone tried Stainless Steel
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 06:51:38 PM »
He might be talking about the stainless steel's reflective tendencies which would bounce the heat back up instead of allowing it to dissipate, and making the oven even hotter than normal.

pizzapan